Delicious 100% Beef Burgers in Sweet Potato Buns with Homemade Green Pesto, Mozzarella, Salad and Avocado Yum!!
Sweet Potato Sliders
Ever fancied a burger for dinner, but over done it on the bread. Well this is the recipe for you.
I introduce you to the Sweet Potato Cheeseburger Slider - These are amazing!! and a great alternative to a bread bun. So perfect if you are gluten free too.
You just slice the potato (I leave skin on) bake until cooked and then you can use these as a bun for you burger.
The Best Lean Homemade Burger
Making a lean homemade burger can sometimes leave us disappointed as the meat is dry due to low fat content or they are bulked out with other unnecessary fillers, especially when it comes to store bought ones anyway.
I find the best burgers use the most basic ingredients, just 100% ground beef (mince) and seasoning. In my case I just use good old sea salt. It may seem basic, but trust me when I say it's all a burger needs.
Always make sure you form the patty and season the outside just before you fry in a pan. If you mix the mince all up with seasonings and salt it can draw out all the juices as it cooks and result in a dry burger. Seasoning just the outside seals the juices into the burger keeping it lovely and juicy.
Making a Sweet Potato Bun
These are so easy, you just slice the potato skin on and seasoning with your choice of seasonings, you can either go quite plain or add some seasonings like paprika, garlic and onion powder or add some heat with a pinch of cajun or chilli powder.
Some sweet potatoes are quite small, so to ensure it fits the burger patty I slice the sweet potato lengthwise so you get bigger pieces, rather than rounds. These ensures you get a big slice of sweet potato for your bun. Kind of like Sweet Potato Toast.
The little bit of homemade pesto in these sliders adds great flavour that compliments the tomato, mozzarella and avocado.
I have two recipes for green pesto and either are fine in this:
of course if you want to save time, you can also use a store bought pesto. Those will just be higher in calories than my homemade version.
Sides for Sliders
Wondering what to serve on the side? There are so many options:
Just a simple mixed salad is great if you are trying to keep calories low, or if you need a more filling meal try some of these:
you could even go for a bowl of filling vegetable soup alongside this and we have some great options in the Soup Recipes section
or if you would like some more sides to choose from - check out the Side Dish Recipes on Slimming Eats or head on over to the FULL RECIPE INDEX where you will find over 900 delicious recipes and can search by ingredients, course, diet and more.
All with estimated calories and Slimming Eats and Weight Watcher Smart Points values.
Come and follow me on:
FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST
TWITTER and YOUTUBE
You can also subscribe to Slimming Eats
so that you never miss any new updates.
Need some extra Support? Come and check out my Facebook Group
If you try this recipe, let us know!
Leave a Comment, Rate It and Tag us in your
Photos @SLIMMINGEATS on INSTAGRAM
For the burgers:
- 200g (7oz) of extra lean (5% fat) ground beef (mince)
- pinch of sea salt
For the Sweet Potato Buns:
- 4 Slices of Sweet Potato (skin on) (each approx 85g (3oz) each slice)
- ½ teaspoon of paprika
- pinch of salt and black pepper
- olive oil spray
For the toppings:
- 1 medium ripe tomatoe, sliced
- 50g (2oz) of mozzarella
- 40g (1.4oz) of avocado, sliced
- Lettuce of choice (romaine, butter or spinach)
- 2 tablespoons of Homemade Pesto (click for link)
- Form the ground beef into 2 patties and refrigerate until ready to cook.
- Preheat oven to 220c, fan 200c, 425f (gas mark 7)
- Season the sweet potato slices with the seasonings and spray with olive oil spray and toss to coat
- Place on a baking tray lined with parchment paper.
- Bake for 30 mins until golden.
- When sweet potato slices are ready
- Spray a large frying pan over a medium high heat with spray oil.
- Season the outside of the patties with sea salt, and once pan is hot add the burgers to the pan, you want these to sear and seal in the juices, so make sure pan is hot enough when you add them, You can flatten down with a spatula, as they cook.
- Flip when golden and repeat on the other side.
- When the burgers and almost ready, top each burger with the mozzarella and leave in pan until the mozzarella all melts over the burger.
- Place one sweet potato slice on a plate add a tablespoon of the pesto, then some lettuce. Add the burger patties, top with the tomatoes and avocado and then the final sweet potato slice.
- Serve as is or with a side of your choice.
Please see below for full nutritional info and additional details about recipe:
- Calories - scroll down to nutritional info box
- WW Points and other Slimming or Weight Loss programs - due to plans regularly changing and updating, we recommend calculating with the official tools you get as a member to those plans to ensure accuracy of values.
If you wish to share this recipe, then please do so by using the share buttons provided at top of this post.
DO NOT COPY AND/OR PASTE FULL RECIPES OR SCREENSHOTS OF ANY CONTENT FROM SLIMMING EATS TO ANY SOCIAL MEDIA OR WEBSITE, IT IS STRICTLY PROHIBITED.
ALL IMAGES AND CONTENT ON SLIMMING EATS ARE COPYRIGHT PROTECTED
Nutritional information etc are an estimate and are to be used for informational purposes only. Ingredients can vary in values from brand to brand and therefore it would be impossible to give accurate information. It is always advised that you calculate values yourself by the ingredients you use and the tools provided to you as a member of the programme you are following.
It is the responsibility of the Reader to assure the products or ingredients they use in any recipes from Slimming Eats are allergen-free (gluten-free, egg-free, soy-free and/or dairy-free, for example). Slimming Eats assumes no liability for inaccuracies or misstatement about products, opinions or comments on this site.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition InformationYield 2 Serving Size 1 SLIDER
Amount Per Serving Calories 394Total Fat 13.4gSaturated Fat 5.9gTrans Fat 0gCholesterol 107mgSodium 446mgCarbohydrates 39gFiber 6.9gSugar 7.9gProtein 30.5g
Nutritional information, values, points etc are an estimate and is to be used for informational purposes only. Ingredients can vary greatly from brand to brand and therefore it would be impossible to give accurate information. It is always advised that you calculate by the ingredients you use.