Delicious Lemon Poppy Seed Mug Cake in just 2 minutes - perfect for when you are craving cake.
I've been meaning to have a go at a low syn mug cake for a while. I already make this yummy Quick Breakfast in a Mug, when rushed for time and wanted a yummy cake recipe, that I could make quickly whenever a cake craving hits me.
I have various oat cakes and baked oatmeal recipes on the blog which are amazing for when you fancy cake for a low amount of syns, such as:
- Peanut Butter and Jelly Baked Oatmeal
- Pina Colada Baked Oatmeal
- Cherry Almond Baked Oatmeal
- Raspberry and White Chocolate Baked Oatmeal
- Banana Baked Oatmeal
- Apple Cinnamon Baked Oatmeal
- Best Ever Low Syn Carrot Cake
- Low Syn Jam and Coconut Sponge Cake
But the baked oatmeal recipes can take up to 40 minutes to cook and sometimes when you want cake, you want it right away, otherwise, you can grab for something you should.
So using the basis of some of my other recipes I had a go at this amazing Lemon Poppy Seed Mug Cake - which I have to say is one of my fav cakes ever.
I was so happy with the result, it worked perfectly. I also topped with a spoonful of lemon curd for pure perfection. Look how amazing this looks!!
All for very little syns too when using your Healthy Extra B allowance. Perfect just as it is with a cuppa or some yoghurt or light cream if you are happy to spend a few additional syns.
I am so happy I can now enjoy one of these Lemon Poppy Seed Mug Cakes in literally minutes and am looking forward to trying some other variations. Watch this space for those.
To grind the oats, I use my Nutri Ninja Blender with Auto IQ and one of the blender cups that come with it. This blender is amazing. The auto IQ technology feature, mean it blends to a set pattern depending on what it is you are making. There is also an optional add-on for a food processor bowl, which is perfect for chopping and grating vegetables. It's perfect for grinding the oats in this recipe and because I don't need to use the full-size jug, it's easier to wash up too.
Don't worry though, you don't need a fancy high-tech blender like mine above, any blender will work, even a good old immersion stick blender like the Koölle Electric Powerful 3-in-1 800 Watt Hand Stick Blender. Just place the oats in the tall cup, and use the stick blender to grind the oats.
I see many comments, worried that blending oats is a tweak on Slimming World, but you will be pleased to know that it isn't the case. Oats are a measured amount as part of your healthy extra A choice, therefore they can't be over consumed like free foods. A tweak applies to free foods, when it is used to make a food item that isn't free, like using lasagne sheets for nachos for example.
Time for cooking can vary depending on microwave, so I suggest trying it different times until you get the perfect timing for your microwave. I cooked this for 2 minutes and it was perfect. Can you believe it? A yummy cake all ready to eat in less than 2 minutes.
Make sure you use a mug of dish large enough for the mixture to rise, otherwise it will over flow as it cooks, the cake mixture should not be more than half the volume or whatever you use to cook it in, that should give it plenty of space to rise.
If you use gluten-free free oats and baking powder, then this recipe is also suitable for those who do need to avoid gluten.
I recommend adding the lemon curd for that little bit of decadence in this Lemon Poppy Seed Mug Cake. Omit if you want to reduce the syns, but it's not really going to have that amazing lemony flavour if you do.
Want some other dessert of cake recipes? Check out my Dessert and Cake recipe section where these yummy recipes below are just some of the ones to choose from:
- Carrot and Orange Cake
- Syn Free Classic Belgian Waffles
- Low Syn Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins
- Best Ever Low Syn Chocolate Pancakes
- Low Syn Baked Red Velvet Doughnuts
- Baked Gluten Free Jam Doughnuts
- Low Syn Millionaires Shortbread
- Low Syn Mini Banana Raisin Loaf
- Low Syn Bread and Butter Pudding
- Best Ever Low Syn Carrot Cake
and don't forget my FULL RECIPE INDEX with over 500+ delicious Slimming World recipes.
But in the mean time, you have to try this yummy Lemon Poppy Seed Mug Cake.
What Kitchen items do I need to make this Lemon Poppy Seed Mug Cake?
- Measuring Cups
- Measuring Spoons
- Blender or Immersion Stick Blender
- Wooden Spoon
- Mixing Bowl
- Microwave Safe Mug of bowl
- 4og (1.5oz) of oats - 1 HEb
- 2 tbs of vanilla or lemon fat free Greek Yoghurt
- little lemon zest
- ½ tsp of lemon extract
- 1 tbs of sukrin: 1 (or other sweetener of choice) - 0.5 syns
- 1 egg
- ½ tsp of baking powder
- ¼ tsp of poppy seeds
- spray oil
- to serve:
- 20g of lemon curd (2 syns)
- 1 level tsp of icing sugar (0.5 syns)
- Place the oats into a blender or food processor and blitz till really fine.
- Add to a bowl a stir in the baking powder and poppyseed
- Whisk the yoghurt, egg, lemon zest, lemon extract, sukrin together and then fold into the blended oats..
- Add to a large mug (large enough for mixture to rise otherwise it will overflow) and cook for 2 minutes in the microwave (check for doneness)
- Allow to cool slightly and then top with the lemon curd and sprinkle with icing sugar.
This recipe is gluten free, vegetarian, Slimming World and Weight Watchers friendly.
- Extra Easy - 1 HEb and 3 syns per cake
- Green/Vegetarian - 1 HEb and 3 syns per cake
- Original - 1 HEb and 3 syns per cake
- WW Flex/Free Style Smart Points - 9Gluten Free - ensure oats and baking powder is gluten free
I do not syn the baking powder or poppy seeds, as it less than 0.5 syns for the amount used.
Check the syn value of the lemon curd you use, as syns can vary.
All images and content on Slimming Eats are copyright protected.
If you wish to share this recipe, then please do so by using the share buttons provided.
Do not screenshot or post recipe or content in full.
Nutritional information is an estimate and is to be used for informational purposes only.
Ingredients can vary greatly from brand to brand and therefore it would be impossible to give accurate information.
Nutrition InformationYield 1 Serving Size 1 mug cake
Amount Per Serving Calories 289Total Fat 9.3gSaturated Fat 2.5gCholesterol 187mgSodium 323mgCarbohydrates 37.7gFiber 3.8gSugar 10.4gProtein 13.1g