There is nothing like a cup of tea or coffee with a decadent slice of Carrot Cake
and this delicious Best Ever Low Syn Carrot Cake while not disappoint. Moist fruit cake with the flavour of cinnamon with flecks of carrot and sultants, topped in a smooth cream cheese topping. It's amazing and only syn a slice - who would of thought?
Because it uses oats this is also gluten free if you use a gluten free verified type, I haven't used the oats as a Healthy Extra B choice here, as I figured I would just syn a slice of the cake and save my healthy extra, but if you want to use your healthy extra B choice, it is 1 HEb and ? syns for a ⅓ of the cake.
To sweeten I have used Sukrin : 1 (watch this space for my review of some sukrin products coming very soon). It is a natural sweetener and it has none of that horrible aftertaste you sometimes get with sweeteners. I have tried many different types in the past trying to find one that is natural and tastes natural and I think this is it. I usually just use some syns on honey or maple syrup, but it’s nice to know I can now use this and reduce the syns even further. Instead of sukrin you can use any sweetener of choice of course. But I recommend sukrin if you can get some.
Click here if you live in the UK: Sukrin UK
Click here if you live in the USA: Sukrin USA
for those in Canada, I am told Sukrin will be readily available to us in the Fall.
For the frosting I use a mixture of low fat cream cheese and vanilla Greek yogurt with some Sukrin Melis (Icing) - if you don't have this the topping is fine without, it just sets better with the Sukrin.
Also don’t forget that Slimming World have recently made some changes to sweeteners and any time you use a tablespoon or more, you must syn it at 0.5 syns per tablespoon, this is to protect your weight loss.
If you want to freeze some of this for another day, I suggest doing so without the icing, and then you can add the frosting when required.
For the Cake I use a 8inch springform pan
Once the cake is cooked. I slice into 8 equal size slices and stack two slices on top of each other with the frosting in between and on top.
This is so delicious and hard to believe it is Slimming World friendly
Extra Easy - 6.5 syns per serving (¼ of the cake)
Green - 6.5 syns per serving (¼ of the cake)
Original - 6.5 syns per serving (¼ of the cake)
WW Smart Points - 5 (¼ of the cake)
If using your HEb it is 1 HEb and 3.5 syns per ⅓ of the cake
Gluten Free - use gluten-free oats
- 1 cup/105g of Oats - 15 syns
- 2 tsp of baking powder
- 1 tsp of cinnamon
- ¼ cup of sukrin:1 (or other sweetener of choice) - 2 syns
- 1 small carrot, grated and squeeze of excess moisture
- 2 tbs of lemon juice
- 30g of sultanas - 4.5 syns
- ¼ cup of fat free vanilla yoghurt
- 2 large eggs
- 3 tbs of fat free vanilla yoghurt
- 2 tbs of low fat cream cheese - 2 syns
- optional: 2 tbs of Sukrin Melis (Icing) - 1 syn
- Preheat oven to 180c/350f (gas mark 4)
- Place the oats in a blender and pulse till fine.
- Add the baking powder, cinnamon, sultanas and mix to combine.
- Add in the grated carrot.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the eggs and sukrin (or sweetener).
- Add the lemon juice and yoghurt and whisk till combined.
- Add this into the oat mixture and stir till all combine.
- Pour into a greased 8inch springform pan.
- Bake in the oven for approx 1 hour (a skewer entered into the centre should come out clean).
- Allow to cool and then cut into 8 equal sized slices
- Add the yoghurt, sukrin melis and cream cheese to a bowl and mix to combine.
- Spread half of the mixture of top of four slices and then top with the other four slices.
- Spread the other half of the mixture of top.
- Serve and enjoy!
If you wish to share this recipe, then please do so by using the share buttons provided. Do not screenshot or post recipe or content in full.