Syn Free Harvest Grain Blend with Chicken and Shrimp - a combination mix of Israeli couscous, orzo, red quinoa and lentils with delicious vegetables and Chicken and Shrimp.
I love the Harvest Grain Blend from Trader Joes – a mixture of orzo, Israeli couscous, split garbanzo and red quinoa, I always add a bag of it to my cart whenever we go grocery shopping there, as it's a perfect alternative to regular rice or pasta.
One of my absolute favourite dishes to make with it is this Harvest Grain Blend with Chicken and Shrimp. It's a delicious and flavoursome dish and super easy to make. Perfect eaten hot or cold.
Don't worry if you can't get the Harvest Grain Blend, you can still try this recipe, by using a mixture of ½ Israeli couscous and orzo, if you want to add in a spoon of lentils and red quinoa too, those are a great addition also, but it is perfectly fine with the former.
To make this Harvest Grain Blend with Chicken and Shrimp I use my beloved Le Creuset Shallow Casserole in beautiful Teal Colour.
It's perfect for dishes like this Harvest Grain Blend with Chicken and Shrimp and placing in the centre of the table on a protective mat, for everyone to dig in and enjoy.
You can use this dish for all kinds of recipes, from risotto to casseroles, curry, even pasta bakes. Cast Iron is perfect for retaining heat too, so the dish doesn't go cold too quickly like with other pans, which means its great for keep food warmer for that little bit longer.
Check out some of my other delicious Recipes like this, such as:
- One Pot Creamy Zucchini Pasta
- One Pot Beef Fajita Pasta
- One Pot Shrimp Pasta
- Spicy Prawn and Vegetable Risotto
- Beef and Six Bean Chilli
- Mushroom Risotto
- One Pot Cheeseburger Pasta
- One Pot Creamy Leek Pasta
- One Pot New Orleans Cajun Pasta
- One Pot Southern Hoppin John
- Syn Free One Pot Campfire Stew
- Creamy One Pot Pork Pasta
For the protein base to this dish, I use chicken and shrimp, but if you don't like shrimp you can just double up the chicken, or maybe you love shrimp and want to skip the chicken, either way, it's delicious.
The vegetables I use in this dish are carrots, zucchini, onion and fresh tomatoes, you can use canned tomatoes if you prefer, but there is nothing as delicious as the taste of fresh tomatoes, so they are worth it if you have some. I use my Julienne Peeler which is like a regular vegetable peeler but has a serrated blade to grip the skin and makes removing the skin of tomatoes or soft fruit effortlessly. I'd be lost without it.
HOW CAN I ADD A ⅓ SPEED FOODS TO THIS HARVEST GRAIN BLEND WITH CHICKEN AND SHRIMP
There is already lots of vegetables in this dish, but you can also up the speeds foods even more by adding a few handfuls of spinach and stirrign through until wilted. Another option is to serve with a delicious side salad of your choice.
TO MAKE THIS DELICIOUS HARVEST GRAIN BLEND WITH CHICKEN AND SHRIMP YOU WILL NEED THE FOLLOWING KITCHEN ITEMS:
- shallow casserole dish or deep non-stick frying pan
- large saucepan
- Kitchen Scales
- Measuring Cups
- Measuring Spoons
- Julienne peeler
- Wooden Spoon
- Santoku Knife (perfect knife for chopping veg)
- Chopping Board
You can also subscribe to Slimming Eats to keep up to date with all new recipes.
IF YOU TRY THIS RECIPE, LET US KNOW! LEAVE A COMMENT, RATE IT AND TAG US IN YOUR PHOTOS @SLIMMINGEATS ON INSTAGRAM
Syn Free Harvest Grain Blend with Chicken and Shrimp | Slimming World
Yield 4 servings
This recipe is dairy free, Slimming World and Weight Watchers friendly
- Extra Easy - syn free per serving
- WW Smart Points - 7
*suitable for freezing
- ½ bag of Trader Joes Harvest Grain Blend ( or use ½ cup/120ml of Israeli couscous and ½ cup/120ml of Orzo)
- 2 cups (480ml) of chicken stock
- 160g of uncooked Chicken Thighs, diced
- 160g of raw shrimp
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 1 medium zucchini, finely diced
- 1 medium carrot, finely diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 3 medium fresh tomatoes, peeled and diced
- 2 handfuls of spinach
- spray oil
- 2 tsp of paprika
- 2 tsp mixed herbs
- 1 tbs of tomato paste
- ½ cup (120ml) of water
- fresh chopped parsley
- salt and black pepper
- cooking oil spray
- Heat the 2 cups of stock in a saucepan, add the Harvest Grain Blend, stir, bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for approx 10 minutes until all stock is absorbed, remove from heat, but leave covered with a lid and set aside.
- Spray a shallow casserole dish or frying pan with some cooking oil spray add the chicken and fry until lightly browned.
- Add the onion and carrot and a little salt and black pepper and fry for a further 5 minute until onion and carrot are softened.
- Add the paprika, mixed herbs, garlic, tomatoes, zucchini, tomato paste and water. Continue to simmer until tomatoes start to break down into a sauce.
- Add the raw shrimp, cover and simmer for 5 mins until shrimp is cooking through.
- Add the harvest grain blend and chopped parsley and stir till all combined.
- Season as need with salt and black pepper.
If you wish to share this recipe, then please do so by using the share buttons provided. Do not screenshot or post recipe or content in full.
Nutritional information is an estimate and is to be used for informational purposes only. Ingredients can vary greatly from brand to brand and therefore it would be impossible to give accurate information.
All images and content on Slimming Eats are copyright protected.
Serving Size 1 serving
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value
Total Fat 4.4 g
Saturated Fat 0.6 g
Cholesterol 60 mg
Sodium 485 mg
Total Carbohydrates 57.3 g
Dietary Fiber 5.4 g
Sugars 11.2 g
Protein 26.3 g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.