Indulge with these classic fakeaway Animal Style Fries - sweet sauteed onions, golden oven baked fries with melted American cheese and a classic special sauce what more could one want?
In-N-Out Animal Style fries
Ever visited a state in the USA that has the classic In-N-Out burger place, then you have possibly tried this delicious droolworth hidden menu dish.
It is hugely popular and a great dish for the whole family.
Normally served as a side dish to accompany one of the other great menu items, but so indulgent and delicious can easily be enjoyed just as it is.
This is my own inspired version.
What are Animal Style Fries?
So some of you may be wondering, what exactly are Animal Style Fries? It's kind of like a burger fries but without the burger (unless of course you are enjoying a classic cheeseburger on the side), but then all that is not going to be exactly healthy or calorie friendly.
If you order this from In-N-Out, you can expect their classic golden fries, secret special sauce, deep caramelized sweet onions and melted American cheese. Yes it is the processed sauce, but Animal fries just isn't animal fries without it.
Best Potatoes for Homemade Fries
So what's the best potatoes to use? A flour variety is definitely the option you want to go for. I use russets, which are our main variety here in Canada, it is a variety that makes the perfect chips or fries.
To make the chips you can either just use a sharp knife or one of these handy chip cutters which makes fries effortlessly. I use the smallest blade.
Normally I would parboil if making a chunkier chip, but as these are fries and are pretty thin it's not needed. I just soak them in cold water for 30 minutes instead.
(As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.)
Making Animal Styles Fries Healthier
This was pretty easy for me. I just made my usual homemade oven fries using some spray oil and my chip cutter to make the fries perfectly formed.
For the sweet caramelized onions, I used my special trick of saute them down with some stock until they get that deep colour. It's a bit of a process, but can't be rushed, otherwise you will end up with burnt bitter onions that will ruin the whole dish.
Lastly was the cheese and then the special sauce which I just used my typical blend of ingredients for a tasty homemade burger sauce. The end result was heavenly.
Can I cook the fries in a air fryer?
Sure, I am sure that will be fine, but for the final result to serve, a big baking tray is best. It can be placed in the middle of the table for everyone to dig in and help themselves.
Cooking times etc may need to be adjusted if you are cooking in a airfryer.
American Cheese on Animal Fries
I know not everyone loves the processed cheese slices, they are certainly not something I eat often, I much prefer some real cheddar or red leicester. But for these it really does create that authentic taste.
However if you really really dislike it, I would swap for some grated red leicester, so you still get that bright orange colour.
Sides for Animal Style Fries
Want to add some veggies as a side to this recipe to get in one of your five-a-day? A big side salad would be a perfect option.
Serve it in the middle of the table along with the animal fries for the family to help themselves.
Crisp lettuce, cucumber, tomatoes, red onion, peppers, julienned carrot are all great options.
More American Recipes
Love American inspired recipes? Check out some of these:
- BBQ Bacon Cheeseburger Pasta Bake
- Sloppy Joes (Stove Top and Instant Pot)
- Lighter Big Mac and Fries Fakeaway
- Oven Baked Popcorn Chicken with Dipping Sauce
- Oven Baked KFC Style Chicken (Kentucky Fried Chicken)
- Slow Cooker Pulled Pork Sandwich
- American Style Pancakes
- One Pot Cheeseburger Pasta
- Cheeseburger Quiche
or if you would like more recipe ideas - head on over to the FULL RECIPE INDEX where you will find over 900 delicious recipes all with estimated calories and you can search by ingredients, course, diet and more..
Come and follow me on:
FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST
TWITTER, TIK TOK and YOUTUBE
You can also subscribe to Slimming Eats
so that you never miss any new updates.
Need some extra Support? Come and check out my Facebook Group
If you try this recipe, let us know!
Leave a comment, Rate It and
Tag us in your Photos
@SLIMMINGEATS on INSTAGRAM
- 1kg of floury potatoes, (I used russets)
- 1 teaspoon of fine sea salt
- 1 teaspoon of paprika
- 150g of onion, finely diced
- 1 cup (240ml) of vegetable or chicken stock
- 1.5 tablespoons of balsamic vinegar (use a good quality)
- 6 cheese singles (processed cheese) slices -
- cooking oil spray
For the Special sauce
- 4 tablespoons of light mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons of yoghurt
- 1 tablespoon of tomato puree (paste)
- 1.5 tablespoons of very finely diced pickle (gherkin)
- 1 teaspoon of paprika
- pinch of garlic powder
- pinch of onion powder
- Peel potatoes, and then either slice into fries with a sharp knife of use a chip cutter.
- Add the fries to a large bowl and cover completely with cold water and allow to soak for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 220c, fan 200c, 425f or gas mark 7
- Once potatoes have soaked for 30 minutes, drain and completely pat dry with a clean kitchen towel or paper.
- Place back in the bowl, spray with a little cooking oil spray add the paprika and salt and toss to coat.
- Spread out on a large baking tray lined with parchment paper and spray over the top with the cooking oil spray making sure they are not all crammed next to each other or they will not get even goldeness and crispy.
- Bake for approx 45 minutes until golden. (rotate half way through and give another spray of the spray oil)
- While the fries are baking, combine the sauce ingredients and set aside.
- Then spray a frying pan with some cooking oil spray over a medium high heat , Add the finely diced onion and a little bit at a time start adding in some stock, keep doing this process slowly, reduce a little bit of the stock completely before adding some more until all the stock is gone and the onions are lovely and golden and softened. Then add in the balsamic vinegar and cook until it evaporates around the onions, (watch they don't burn). You should then have lovely deep caramelized onions.
- Once fries are ready reduce oven to 180c/ fan 160c, 350f or gas mark 4.
- Break up the processed cheese and scatter this evenly over the fries and then spoon dollops of the onion in between.
- Place back in the oven for just a couple of minutes so the cheese melts slightly around the fries.
- Then scatter dollops of the sauce over the top.
- Serve and enjoy!!
Please see below for full nutritional info and additional details about recipe:
- Calories - scroll down to nutritional info box
- WW Points and other Slimming or Weight Loss programs - due to plans regularly changing and updating, we recommend calculating with the official tools you get as a member to those plans to ensure accuracy of values.
If you wish to share this recipe, then please do so by using the share buttons provided at top of this post.
DO NOT COPY AND/OR PASTE FULL RECIPES OR SCREENSHOTS OF ANY CONTENT FROM SLIMMING EATS TO ANY SOCIAL MEDIA OR WEBSITE, IT IS STRICTLY PROHIBITED.
ALL IMAGES AND CONTENT ON SLIMMING EATS ARE COPYRIGHT PROTECTED
Nutritional information etc are an estimate and are to be used for informational purposes only. Ingredients can vary in values from brand to brand and therefore it would be impossible to give accurate information. It is always advised that you calculate values yourself by the ingredients you use and the tools provided to you as a member of the programme you are following.
It is the responsibility of the Reader to assure the products or ingredients they use in any recipes from Slimming Eats are allergen-free (gluten-free, egg-free, soy-free and/or dairy-free, for example). Slimming Eats assumes no liability for inaccuracies or misstatement about products, opinions or comments on this site.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Eono by Amazon - Set of Six Stainless Steel Nestling Mixing Bowls (Matte and Mirror Finish) …
KitchenCraft Potato Chipper / Vegetable Cutter Machine
ZeZaZu Parchment Paper Sheets for Baking (100 Sheets), Precut 12 x 16 inches - Exact Fit for Half-Sheet Baking Pans, Unbleached, Dual-Sided Coating, Siliconized, Non-Stick, RECLOSABLE Pack
Baking Tray Set of 4, HaWare Stainless Steel Baking Sheet –Rimmed Pan Baking Sets -Healthy & Non Toxic, Easy Clean & Dishwasher Safe (Large Size)
Nutrition InformationYield 4 Serving Size 1 SERVING
Amount Per Serving Calories 359Total Fat 12gSaturated Fat 4gTrans Fat 0gCarbohydrates 54gFiber 5gSugar 5gProtein 12g
Nutritional information, points etc are an estimate and is to be used for informational purposes only. Ingredients can vary greatly from brand to brand and therefore it would be impossible to give accurate information. It is always advised that you calculate by the ingredients you use.