Summer holidays have started here in Canada, so I thought it would be great to take the kids strawberry picking while they are still in season. The strawberries grown here are so lovely and sweet, and we filled 5 containers for just $10 which was great.
Of course next morning I just had to make a yummy breakfast where we could enjoy them, so decided on some french toast. I have been loving using Sweet Freedom Choc Shot as a low syn chocolate flavour, so added it to the egg mixture to make a delicious chocolate french toast to compliment the fresh sweet strawberries.
I had so many strawberries that I also decided to make up a strawberry sauce which I could add to my french toast or American Style Pancakes or that the kids could spoon on top of some ice cream.
Remember though that fruit not in it's raw form is synned, so if you cook, blend, or it comes from a can etc it then becomes synned. If you want to keep the syns down you can just serve with fresh strawberries, but I had so many strawberries to use and this was worth it for a treat.
Extra Easy - 1 HEb and 5 syns per serving
Green - 1 HEb and 5 syns per serving
Original/SP - 1 HEb and 5 syns per serving
WW Smart Points - 10
- 120g/4oz (4 slices) of whole wheat bread (2xHEb's), sliced in half
- 4 tsp of Sweet Freedom Choc Shot Syrup (2 syns)
- ⅓ cup (120ml) of 1% milk (1.5 syns) (or use a dairy free milk)
- 4 eggs
- 200g of fresh strawberries (3 syns)
- 1 tbs of maple syrup (2 syns)
- tsp of icing sugar (for dusting) (1 syn)
- spray oil
- fresh strawberries for serving
- Add the Choc Shot syrup, milk and eggs to a shallow dish and whisk till all ingredients are well combined.
- Add the bread to the dish and allow it soak up all the mixture
- In the meantime add the strawberries to a sauce pan and heat over a medium high heat, until the strawberries start to break down into a sauce. Add the maple syrup and continue to heat till it becomes syrupy, remove from heat and set aside.
- Heat a skillet over a low/ medium heat. Spray with with spray oil and then add the soaked bread slices and cook till browned on each side.
- Plate up, dust each serving with ½ a tsp of icing sugar. Then spoon on the strawberry sauce.
- Serve with some more strawberries on the side.
If you wish to share this recipe, then please do so by using the share buttons provided. Do not screenshot or post recipe or content in full.