This Chocolate French Toast with Homemade Strawberry Sauce is the perfect guilt-free morning treat for leisurely weekend breakfasts.
With summer holidays kicking off in Canada, we seized the opportunity to go strawberry picking while they're in season. The strawberries were incredibly sweet, and we managed to fill 5 containers for just $10—a bargain! The following morning, inspired by our harvest, I whipped up a delicious breakfast featuring French toast paired with a homemade strawberry sauce. With an abundance of strawberries, I envisioned the sauce as a versatile topping not only for this yummy breakfast but also for American-style pancakes or even as a decadent ice cream accompaniment for the kids.
Calories in Chocolate French Toast with Strawberry Sauce
This Chocolate French Toast with Strawberry Sauce serves 2 and is 478 calories per serving.
If you're looking for more recipes within the same calorie range, you'll find an abundance of options in my dedicated collection of 300+ calorie recipes.
If you're following a calorie-controlled diet or a healthy eating plan, it's important to calculate your daily calorie intake using a reliable calorie calculator. Please note that the calorie counts provided are estimates and can vary based on specific ingredients and serving sizes. Personalizing your calculations is essential to meet your individual needs. By using a calorie calculator, you can make informed choices and stay on track with your dietary goals.
To make this recipe you will need the following ingredients:
- Low Calorie Bread: choose your preferred low calorie bread, you can use wholemeal bread too.
- Chocolate Syrup: A low calorie option is best. Use something like Herseys chocolate syrup or if in the UK Sweet Freedom Choc Shot (As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.)
- Milk: I use semi skimmed (2%) milk
- Eggs: Large fresh eggs
- Strawberries: I keep this recipe for when strawberries are in season, so that you get the best quality and taste.
- Maple Syrup: 100% pure maple syrup is used to make the strawberry syrup sauce. Honey is fine as a substitute but will add a stronger flavour to the sauce.
- Icing Sugar: this is for dusting.
- Low Calorie Spray - Use your preferred choice of low calorie spray, I prefer olive oil or avocado sprays without any added emulsifiers.
Once you've gathered all the ingredients and prepared them accordingly, you're all set to create this easy and delightful recipe.
See the recipe card for specific quantities and instructions.
Variations and Additions
Elevate your chocolate French toast experience with delightful variations that cater to your taste preferences and culinary creativity. Here are some inspiring twists to consider:
- Berry Swaps: Experiment with different berries such as raspberries or cherries in place of strawberries for a unique flavour profile. Raspberries impart a tartness that contrasts beautifully with the chocolatey richness, while cherries offer a deep, sweet note that complements the dish perfectly.
- Banana Bliss: Enhance the indulgence by adding sliced bananas alongside the French toast. The natural sweetness and creamy texture of bananas provide a delightful contrast to the chocolatey decadence.
- Chocolate Chip Delight: For an extra dose of chocolatey goodness, sprinkle chocolate chips over the French toast before serving. The melted chocolate adds richness and texture, elevating the dish to new heights of indulgence.
- Creamy Goodness: Top off your chocolate French toast with a dollop of light aerosol cream for a luscious finishing touch. The airy cream adds a delightful creaminess that complements the sweetness of the dish.
Remember to adjust the calorie count accordingly for any variations or additions, ensuring that your chocolate French toast remains a delectable yet guilt-free treat. Experiment with these variations to customize your breakfast experience and savour every decadent bite.
More Breakfast Sweet Treats
Looking for some other delicious breakfast sweeet treats, check out these:
- Pearl Barley Greek Yoghurt Breakfast Bowl
- Coconut Quinoa Pudding Breakfast Bowl
- Easy Sheet Pan Pancakes
- Peanut Butter Banana Oatmeal Bowl
- Dutch Baby
- Banana Baked Oatmeal
or if you would like more recipe ideas - head on over to the FULL RECIPE INDEX where you will find over 900 delicious recipes with calories and you can search by meal type, ingredients, course, diet and more.
All recipes on Slimming Eats have estimated nutritional information for your convenience.
FAQ For French Toast with Strawberry Sauce
Yes, if you have an abundance of strawberries and want to make extra to freeze, this sauce is perfect for doubling or tripling up to freeze some for another day. To freeze the sauce, cool it completely, then transfer to an airtight container or freezer bag, leaving space for expansion. Label and freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator or in cold water. If you want the sauce warmed you can reheat gently on the stovetop over low heat, stirring occasionally, until heated through. Avoid boiling. Enjoy over Greek yogurt too!
Yes, choose your favorite gluten-free bread for the French Toast and it is a perfect swap
Come and follow me on:
You can also Subscribe to Slimming Eats so that you never miss any new updates.
Need some support on your weight loss journey? Maybe you need advice or tips on a recipe, or just general meal ideas.
Are you Looking for Slimming World Syns or Weight Watchers (WW) Points?
We are removing all Slimming World syn values from the website, you can read more about that here.
To ensure precise calculations, we recommend utilizing the official tools provided with your membership to specific plans, as they may undergo regular updates. Values can vary between different brands, so it's essential to calculate recipes using these tools to guarantee accuracy in any recipe you prepare.