Tender Air Fryer Salmon coated with Honey Harissa Paste cooked with sweet potato and chickpeas for a quick easy dinner in minutes.
If there is one thing I love cooking in my air fryer - it is some fresh salmon fillets - I just add some seasoning or sauce and the result is always delicious tender flaky pieces of salmon that is cooked in minutes.
Many of my Salmon Recipes on Slimming Eats can easily be adapted for an air fryer too. For most salmon depending on the size and thickness it will usually not take any longer than 6-10 minutes on 390f.
So with some salmon fillets to cook for dinner and a open jar of harissa paste. I knew it would be the perfect combination for dinner this week and boy was it delicious.
Ingredients for Air Fryer Honey Harissa Salmon
Just a few simple ingredients make up this delicious Air Fryer meal for two
- Salmon Fillets
- Sweet Potato
- Canned Chickpeas
- Harissa Paste
- Salt and Pepper
- Olive Oil
- Coriander (Cilantro)
- Lemon Wedges
See recipe card for quantities.
Instructions for Air Fryer Honey Harissa Salmon
Here are some brief step by steps of cooking this delicious meal in the air fryer.
First we cook the peeled sweet potato cubes for 10 minutes with seasoning, onion and olive oil
Then goes in the chickpeas mixed with a little of the harissa marinade and give a mix to evenly combine.
Before adding the rest of the marinade to the top of the salmon fillets
and then placing on top of the sweet potato and chickpeas to cook the salmon for 8 minutes.
Hint: If you prefer you can keep the salmon as one fillet and just slice and serve when cooked. Also if you have a dual tray air fryer you can do the sweet potato and chickpeas on one side and the salmon on the other. However I prefer to place the salmon on top as it will flavour the sweet potato below. Plus it leaves one side free to do an additional side if you like.
Below are some substitutions you can make if needed.
- Honey- this can be swapped for maple syrup if you prefer (however I don't recommend using sugar free options.
- Olive oil - I prefer to use a little olive oil for the sweet potato, but if you prefer you can swap for an olive oil spray, just don't spray into the air fryer and avoid sprays with emulsifiers as an ingredient.
- Gluten Free/Dairy Free - this is suitable for both those who are gluten and dairy free, just ensure the Harissa Paste you use is free of allergens.
- Harissa Paste - I use 2.5 tablespoons of Harissa Paste for this, but if you prefer it less spicy, substitute some of the Harissa for tomato paste (puree) instead.
- Homemade Harissa - struggling to find Harissa Paste? Check out this easy to make Homemade Harissa Paste
Not a fan of Salmon? This would work really well on Chicken or white fish also. You will adjust time for the sweet potato/onion to ensure it all cooks correctly.
- White Fish - add marinade to fish and cook for for 8-10 minutes depending on thickness of fish
- Chicken - approx 6-8 minutes per side at 375f (I recommend coating the whole chicken breast in the marinade
- Boneless Skinless Chicken Thighs - approx 6-8 minutes per side at 375f (I recommend coating the whole chicken breast in the marinade
- Halloumi - a great vegetarian option - coat in the marinade and cook at 375f for 8-10 minutes
You will need an air fryer for this recipe, any air fryer is fine, you don't need a fancy expensive one. I have the ninja dual basket air fryer as well as a single basket one (I know, what can I say, I love my air fryers lol).
However if you don't have an air fryer but still really want to try this recipe, you can cook in the oven at the same temperature on a baking sheet lined with some parchment paper. This method hasn't been tested for this though, so you would need to try it yourself and may need to adjust timing slightly.
As this is not a saucy dish I personally don't recommend freezing , it is best enjoyed once cooked for best results
Additional Sides for Air Fryer Salmon
I like to add additional vegetables to my meal, just to keep it well balanced and add a bit of green. So I paired this with some air fryer courgette (zucchini) which I cooked with olive oil spray, salt and black pepper, little bit of garlic powder and a squeeze of lemon juice once cooked.
You can also saute this in a pan if you don't have a dual air fryer.
Other great sides are peppers, broccoli, tender stem broccoli, grilled or roasted tomatoes or even a salad.
I prefer to use wild caught salmon where possible, typically coho or sockeye.
Unlike chicken I don't flip salmon in the airfryer, unless I am cooking little bites. I just add the marinade/sauce ot the top of the salmon and it will cook perfectly without the need to flip.
I don't bother with this recipe, I often find it gets in the way and doesn't ensure even cooking, especially as you have the sweet potato and chickpeas underneath.
More Salmon Recipes
Looking for some more delicious Salmon recipes? Check out these:
- Mustard Salmon
- Honey Lime and Chilli Salmon
- Honey Teriyaki Salmon with Noodles
- Maple Glazed Salmon
- Lemon and Herb Butter Salmon Traybake
- Salmon and Leek Pasta Bake
or if you would like more recipe ideas - head on over to the FULL RECIPE INDEX where you will find over 900 delicious recipes with calories and you can search by meal type, ingredients, course, diet and more..
All recipes on Slimming Eats have estimated nutritional information for your convenience.
Come and follow me on:
FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST
TWITTER, TIK TOK and YOUTUBE
You can also subscribe to Slimming Eats
so that you never miss any new updates.
Need some extra Support? Come and check out my Facebook Group
If you try this recipe, let us know!
Leave a Comment, Rate It and Tag us in your
Photos @SLIMMINGEATS on INSTAGRAM
- 2 Salmon Fillets (I use wild caught) - approx 150g (5.5oz) per fillet
- 350g (12.5oz) of uncooked sweet potato, peeled and cubes
- 150g (5.5oz) of canned chickpeas, drained and patted dry
- 1 small onion, halved and sliced thinly
- ½ tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil
- 2.5 tablespoons of harissa paste
- 1 tablespoon of honey
- 1 clove of garlic, crushed
- salt and black pepper
- olive oil spray
- to serve: fresh lemon wedges and coriander (cilantro)
- Preheat the air fryer to 390°F. Add the seasoned sweet potatoes and onion to the air fryer and spread them in a single layer, season with salt and black pepper and drizzle in the olive oil and toss to coat.
- Cook for 10 minutes (tossing half way through)
- In the meantime mix together the harissa pasta, garlic clove and maple syrup in a small bowl.
- Add 1 tablespoon of the mix to the chickpeas and mix to coat. Spread the remaining on top of the salmon fillets, season with salt and pepper and spray over the top with olive oil spray.
- Once the sweet potato has cooked for the 10 minutes. Add in the chickpeas and give a shake of the basket to even mix and then spread bake out in an even layer.
- Place the salmon fillets on top and cooked for 8-10 minutes until the salmon is cooked through.
- Serve with fresh lemon wedges and coriander and any additional sides you would like.
Please see below for full nutritional info and additional details about recipe:
- WW Personal Points: 8
- Gluten Free Friendly
- Dairy Free Friendly
If you wish to share this recipe, then please do so by using the share buttons provided at top of this post.
DO NOT COPY AND/OR PASTE FULL RECIPES OR SCREENSHOTS OF ANY CONTENT FROM SLIMMING EATS TO ANY SOCIAL MEDIA OR WEBSITE, IT IS STRICTLY PROHIBITED.
ALL IMAGES AND CONTENT ON SLIMMING EATS ARE COPYRIGHT PROTECTED
Nutritional information etc are an estimate and are to be used for informational purposes only. Ingredients can vary in values from brand to brand and therefore it would be impossible to give accurate information. It is always advised that you calculate values yourself by the ingredients you use and the tools provided to you as a member of the programme you are following.
It is the responsibility of the Reader to assure the products or ingredients they use in any recipes from Slimming Eats are allergen-free (gluten-free, egg-free, soy-free and/or dairy-free, for example). Slimming Eats assumes no liability for inaccuracies or misstatement about products, opinions or comments on this site.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition InformationYield 2 Serving Size 1 SERVING
Amount Per Serving Calories 504Total Fat 16gSaturated Fat 3gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 18gCholesterol 47mgSodium 718mgCarbohydrates 54gFiber 8gSugar 19gProtein 36g
Nutritional information and values etc are an estimate and is to be used for informational purposes only. Ingredients can vary greatly from brand to brand and therefore it would be impossible to give accurate information. It is always advised that you calculate by the ingredients you use.