I love sauces made with butternut squash, especially on pasta. It’s a great way to get some vegetables into my fussy kids and it just tastes so creamy. The first time I used butternut squash as a pasta sauce was in my Spaghetti with Roasted Butternut Squash Sauce recipe and it was sooo good. Since then I have been meaning to make a creamy mac n cheese with a similar method, but it kind of got forgotten about it. Other recipes ideas came into my head and before you know it, quite a while haD past and I never got round to making it.
However, this week I had two butternut squash in the pantry and thought it would be good put to a new recipe. The sauce is amazing, I recommend using a good quality strong cheddar so you get that lovely cheesy taste and then combined with the butternut squash sauce it becomes velvety and creamy but without the added cream of course. My kids loved it, so it will make a great family meal.
I do recommend eating this straight away, so if you want it to serve less, just half up the ingredients.
This recipe is gluten free, vegetarian, Slimming World and Weight Watchers friendly
Slimming Eats Recipe
Extra Easy – 1 HEa per serving
Green – 1 HEa per serving
- 310g (11oz) of macaroni pasta (I used brown rice pasta)
- ½ onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove of garlic, crushed
- pinch of cayenne pepper
- 400ml of chicken or vegetable broth
- half a butternut squash (approx 400g/14oz), seeds removed (cut a whole butternut squash in half, lengthways)
- 90g (3oz) of good quality strong cheddar (3xHEa’s)
- 30g (1oz) of parmesan (1xHEa)
- salt and black pepper
- Spray oil
- Preheat oven to 200c, 400f (gas mark 4)
- Season the half a butternut squash with salt, spray with oil on the flesh and place on a baking tray lined with parchment paper.
- Place in the oven and bake for approx 45, till softened and slightly caramelized.
- In the meantime, place a deep saucepan over a medium heat and spray with some oil, add the onion and fry for about 8-10 mins until softened. Add the garlic and fry for another couple of mins.
- Once butternut squash is done, scoop out of skin and add to the saucepan, along with a pinch of cayenne and break up with the back of a wooden spoon.
- Add in the stock and bring to a boil.
- Add this to a blender and blend till smooth.
- Add the blended squash mixture back to the saucepan over a medium heat and stir in the cheese, once melted, reduce heat to low.
- Bring a large saucepan of water (seasoned with salt) to a boil, add in the pasta and cook till al dente. Spoon a couple of spoonfuls of the pasta water into the cheesy squash mixture.
- Drain the pasta and stir this into the sauce.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!!
The recipe above has been calculated for Slimming World, however for those of you following the Weight Watchers plan or another calorie controlled type diet. Below is the approx. nutritional information:
Approx. NUTRITIONAL INFORMATION
It is the responsibility of the Reader to assure the products or ingredients they use in any recipes from Slimming Eats are allergen-free (gluten-free, egg-free and/or dairy-free, for example) or Vegetarian friendly. Slimming Eats assumes no liability for inaccuracies or misstatement about products, opinions or comments on this site.
Nutritional information is an estimate and is to be used for informational purposes only
Looking for some additional support on your weight loss journey? Did you know Slimming Eats has a friendly Slimming World Facebook Support Group where you can get daily meal ideas and recipe ideas? Come and check us out, we’d love to have you join.
Looking for some other recipes? Head on over to my RECIPE INDEX for over 850 Slimming World & Weight Watchers recipes for you to browse through, all fully searchable by meal type, Ingredients, syn value and WW Smart Points etc
DID YOU ? I'D TO SEE IT!THIS
Snap a photo and hashtag #slimmingeats or tag me @slimmingeats on INSTAGRAM
Are you on facebook? Then be sure to come and like me on FACEBOOK
All images and content on Slimming Eats are copyright protected.
If you wish to share this recipe, then please do so by using the share buttons provided. Do not screenshot or post recipe or content in full.