Bite into one of these Caramelized Onion Feta Crispy Toasts – delicious sweet caramelized onions, spread across crispy whole wheat toast topped with the lovely flavour of salt crumbled feta. Heavenly!!
I love it when you get to lunch time and still have both healthy extra’s available, it opens up so many yummy delicious options of things to make.
Some of my favourites:
- Yummy Pizza Toasts
- The Ultimate Syn Free Pizza
- Tuna Melt
- Cheesy Pull-Apart Garlic Bread
- Syn Free Cheese Twists
- Chicken, Feta and Strawberry Salad
- Sloppy Joes
- Big Mac and Fries Fakeaway
or head on over to the FULL RECIPE INDEX with over 800+ delicious Slimming World Recipes, all fully searchable by syn value, meal type, ingredients etc.
Today there was only one combination I was craving for lunch and I just knew the two together would be perfect – Caramelized Onion Feta Crispy Toasts.
The first step to this recipe was to get those amazing sweet savoury caramelized onions and knowing how much you love syn free recipes, I wanted to achieve the best result without using any syns.
A little patience is definitely needed for this part, as caramelized onions just can’t be rushed. But trust me when I say the effort is totally worth it. If you want to make extra for topping burgers etc on those summer barbecue days, by all means, do double, triple or even quadruple up those ingredients to make a large batch. These caramelized onions should keep for about a week in a lidded container in the fridge.
For the crispy toast – do follow my oven-baked method, as just popping a couple of slices in the toaster, will not give you that amazing crunch, and the last thing you want is caramelized onions on soggy toast. It takes a little longer for sure, but you can pop the bread in the oven when the onions are cooking, so it’s really isn’t taking any extra time to make it this way. It’s a total game changer for toast and is the only way I make mine now. Mainly because it saves syns too, as I don’t find I’m craving lashings of butter spread on top.
The feta part is the easiest, nothing more to do, than to just crumbled it over those deliciously sweet caramelized onions on top of the crispy toast for the final part to this yummy recipe, other than of course the little bit of chopped parsley I added to the top, as a little bit of greenery always makes everything look so pretty and that’s it, you are done. Mouthwatering Caramelized Onion Feta Crispy Toasts.
Is there enough speed foods in these Caramelized Onion Feta Crispy Toasts?
There is a whole red onion used in this recipe, which is plenty of speed for one person in this meal, but you can never have enough speed foods, so if you feel you might get hungry later, then serve alongside a bowl of mixed salad or even a bowl of mixed speed fruits for a yummy sweet treat. I love chopping up lots of mixed speed fruits in the summer and adding to a container. It makes a great quick snack that stops you reaching for something you shouldn’t’.
TO MAKE THese DELICIOUS Caramelized Onion Feta Crispy Toasts you will need the following kitchen items?
- Kitchen Scales
- Chopping Board
- Santoku Knife
- Baking Tray
- Alluminium Foil
- Measuring Spoons
- Non-Stick Frying Pan
- Wooden Spoon
IF YOU TRY THIS RECIPE, LET US KNOW! LEAVE A COMMENT, RATE IT AND TAG US IN YOUR PHOTOS @SLIMMINGEATS ON INSTAGRAM
Syn Free Caramelized Onion Feta Crispy Toasts | Slimming World
Yield 1 servings
This recipe is vegetarian, Slimming World and Weight Watchers friendly
- Extra Easy - 1 HEa and 1 HEb per serving
- Green/Vegetarian - 1 HEa and 1 HEb per serving
- WW Smart Points - 9
- 1 medium red onion, halved and sliced thinly (can use white onion)
- 2 slices of 100% whole wheat bread (60g/30z) - 1 HEb
- 45g/1.5oz of feta cheese, crumbled - 1 HEa
- 2 tbs of balsamic vinegar
- 3/4 tbs of sukrin: gold (or use another sweetener of your choice)
- pinch of salt
- cooking oil spray
- fresh parsley
- Preheat oven to 200c/400f
- Line a baking tray with foil, add the slices of bread, lightly mist the top with cooking oil spray, add a little pinch of salt to each slice.
- Bake in the oven until the top is lightly golden, then turn over and continue to bake until the other side is golden and the bread is lovely and crispy.
- While the bread is baking you can start on the onions. (But don't forget it is in the oven, as it won't take as long as the onions)
- Spray a frying pan over a medium-high heat with cooking oil spray. Add the onion and pinch of salt and fry for a few mins until they go translucent. The next part requires patience. Don't try to rush.
- Add the sukrin (sweetener), 1 tbs of balsamic vinegar and a little bit of water into the onions, keep reducing it down and add another bit of water. Keep adding a little bit of water and reducing down until the onions are really soft (takes approx 15-20mins) then, add in the other 1 tbs balsamic vinegar and reduce this off. The onions should then be lovely and caramelized. Taste and season with salt if needed.
- Plate the crispy toasts, top with the onions, crumble the feta over the top and sprinkle with a little chopped fresh parsley.
- Dig in and enjoy!!
Love caramelized onions? Make a big batch by doubling or tripling up the recipe. It will keep in the fridge in a lidded container for about a week.
If you wish to share this recipe, then please do so by using the share buttons provided. Do not screenshot or post recipe or content in full
Nutritional information is an estimate and is to be used for informational purposes only. Ingredients can vary greatly from brand to brand and therefore it would be impossible to give accurate information.
All images and content on Slimming Eats are copyright protected.
Serving Size 1 serving
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value
Total Fat 11.8 g
Saturated Fat 7.2 g
Cholesterol 40 mg
Sodium 985 mg
Total Carbohydrates 38.9 g
Dietary Fiber 4.4 g
Sugars 8.1 g
Protein 13.3 g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
It is the responsibility of the Reader to assure the products or ingredients they use in any recipes from Slimming Eats are allergen-free (gluten-free, egg-free and/or dairy-free, for example) or Vegetarian friendly. Slimming Eats assumes no liability for inaccuracies or misstatement about products, opinions or comments on this site.
Nutritional information is an estimate and is to be used for informational purposes only
Looking for some additional support on your weight loss journey? Did you know Slimming Eats has a friendly Slimming World Facebook Support Group where you can get daily meal ideas and recipe ideas? Come and check us out, we’d love to have you join.
Looking for some other recipes? Head on over to my RECIPE INDEX for over 850 Slimming World & Weight Watchers recipes for you to browse through, all fully searchable by meal type, Ingredients, syn value and WW Smart Points etc
DID YOU ? I'D TO SEE IT!THIS
Snap a photo and hashtag #slimmingeats or tag me @slimmingeats on INSTAGRAM
Are you on facebook? Then be sure to come and like me on FACEBOOK
All images and content on Slimming Eats are copyright protected.
If you wish to share this recipe, then please do so by using the share buttons provided. Do not screenshot or post recipe or content in full.