Tender Chicken Breast stuffed with Bulgur Wheat, Onion, Sage and Sausage is a delicious combination. I made these for the family for Easter Sunday and plates were cleared all around. I served them with my syn free Garlic and Herb Roast Potatoes, Syn Free Gravy and Maple Glazed Carrots. Then some baby spinach just quickly sauteed in a pan with a little spray oil. Try this yummy combination or served the chicken with your own choice of sides.
This recipe is gluten free, dairy free, Whole30, vegetarian, Slimming World and Weight Watchers friendly
Slimming Eats Recipe
Extra Easy – 1.5 syns per serving
NOTE: syns will vary depending on sausage used
- 4 boneless chicken breasts
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- handful of fresh sage leaves, finely chopped
- 200g (7oz) of sausage (casing removed) (3.5 syns)
- ½ cup of bulgur wheat
- ½ small apple, grated (2 syns)
- salt and black pepper
- spray oil
- Add bulgur wheat to a saucepan with 1 cup of water, bring to a boil, reduce heat and cover with lid. Simmer until all liquid is absorbed, remove from heat, then leave with lid on so steam underneath continues to cook it. Allow to cool completely.
- Add the bulgur wheat, sausage, apple, onion, sage and salt and black pepper to a bowl and combine together well.
- Place the chicken breasts on plastic wrap and cover over with plastic wrap, then pound with a rolling pin, to get equal thickness.
- One at a time, place a chicken breast on a large piece of plastic wrap and spoon a ¼ of the stuffed mixture onto the breast along the width and using the plastic wrap, tightly roll the chicken breast, sealing it tightly on both ends, by twisting the plastic wrap (kind of like a sweet wrapper), repeat with the other 3 chicken breasts and place in the refrigerator for a few hours to chill (this will firm them up so they hold their shape).
- Preheat oven to 230c or 450f (gas mark 8)
- Remove chicken from fridge. Line a baking tray with some foil.
- Spray each chicken breast with spray oil and then rub in a little paprika, salt and black pepper.
- Place on the baking tray and bake in the oven for approx 25 mins (until chicken is cooked through). Carefully turnover half way through cooking time.
- When you remove from oven, cover over with foil and allow to rest for approx 10 mins before slicing.
- Serve with your choice of sides, or the sides as suggested and drizzle with syn free gravy.
- Spray a frying pan with Frylight/Pam spray and sauté the onion until golden.
- Remove the meat from the sausage skins.
- In a bowl, mix together the bulgur wheat, sage, apple, onion and sausage and season with salt and pepper.
- Slit each chicken breast on the thickest part and spread out into open pockets.
- Divide the mixture between the 2 chicken breasts. Place in an oven proof dish, wrap with foil and bake in the oven for approx 25-30 mins until chicken is cooked through but tender, remove the foil for the last 10 min of cooking time.
- I served these with homemade roasted potatoes and vegetables and a syn free onion gravy (which was some onions fried off in some Frylight and then cooked in chicken stock for 30 mins, before being blitzed in the blender) . You could also top the chicken with some cheese if you have a spare HEa.
The recipe above has been calculated for Slimming World, however for those of you following the Weight Watchers plan or another calorie controlled type diet. Below is the approx. nutritional information (using calorie count recipe analysis)
Approx. NUTRITIONAL INFORMATION
per serving (no sides)
You might also be interested in....
It is the responsibility of the Reader to assure the products or ingredients they use in any recipes from Slimming Eats are allergen-free (gluten-free, egg-free and/or dairy-free, for example) or Vegetarian friendly. Slimming Eats assumes no liability for inaccuracies or misstatement about products, opinions or comments on this site.
Nutritional information is an estimate and is to be used for informational purposes only
Click here to come and join the - Slimming Eats Facebook group
where you can ask any questions on recipes, get the links to new recipes as they get posted to the blog, daily meal ideas, support and advice.
Looking for some other recipes? Head on over to my RECIPE INDEX for 500+ more recipes for you to browse through.
DID YOU ? I'D TO SEE IT!THIS
Snap a photo and hashtag #slimmingeats or tag me @slimmingeats on INSTAGRAM
Are you on facebook? Then be sure to come and like me on FACEBOOK
All images and content on Slimming Eats are copyright protected.
If you wish to share this recipe, then please do so by using the share buttons provided. Do not screenshot or post recipe or content in full.