Stove Top BBQ Pork - if you love barbecue pork, you will love this easy and delicious stovetop version.
Usually, barbecue pork is a long process of smoking meat and cooking over a barbecue or a slow cooking process. Which is sometimes just too much for a day to day meal and when your family (kids especially) love barbecue anything, you will often look for short cuts to getting a meal on the table as quick as possible.
That is where this stovetop version of barbecue pork is a true winner.
Tender pieces of pork in a smokey homemade barbecue sauce using just a handful of ingredients.
Homemade Barbecue (BBQ) Sauce
Wherever you go looking for a barbecue sauce recipe, you can pretty much guarantee that no recipe will be exactly the same. Homemade sauces even vary by where you live, especially when it comes to living anywhere in North America.
Some are spicier, some more sweet, some even more mustard-based.
My homemade barbecue sauce in this recipe gets the big thumbs up from my family and it uses just some basic ingredients such as:
- Onion Powder
- Tomato Paste
- Apple Juice
- Maple Syrup
- Balsamic Vinegar
Tips for Stove Top BBQ Pork
There are a few key things to note when making this stovetop bbq pork, using a large deep frying pan and not a saucepan.
Keep the pieces of pork large, this will keep the meat tender, if you slice it small to cook in the sauce it will end up dry, you can slice up the pork and mix around in the sauce once it's all cooked.
You also want enough space for the pieces of pork to be placed in one single layer in the pan to ensure the cooking process is correct.
If you add it in small pan or saucepan, the heat will not distribute evenly and the sauce won't reduce down properly.
Lastly, keep that heat high, you don't need it quite on boiling, but that sauce needs to be bubbling. If it's not bubbling away the meat is just going to sit in liquid and not go anyway. The key is it bubble it away so it reduces down into a thick sauce around the pork. Perfect!!
Sides for Barbecue Pork
There really is no right or wrong for sides for this delicious Stove Top BBQ Pork recipe.
But our favourites is a mixed salad of greens, cucumber and tomatoes and then these delicious Garlic and Herb Potato Wedges.
There are so many different ways you can cook potatoes as a side for this dish - mashed, roasted, cubes, oven-baked fries or even changing it up with some homemade oven-baked sweet potato fries. Then with rice, again so many options, plain cooked rice, fried rice and my all-time fav Egg Fried Rice
You can even go for some pasta if pasta is your thing and any kind of vegetable will pair well with the pork, if you don't like a cold salad, go for some greens, or steamed/roasted veggies. I love these Sauteed Shredded Garlic Brussel Sprouts
More Pork Recipes
Looking for some more inspiration of things to cook with pork? Check out these other recipes:
- CREAMY GARLIC PORK WITH CABBAGE
- STOVE TOP PORK WITH APPLES
- INSTANT POT CAJUN PORK AND BEANS
- SLOW COOKED TERIYAKI PORK TENDERLOIN
- PINEAPPLE MEXICAN PORK CARNITAS (SLOW COOKER AND PRESSURE COOKER)
- SLOW COOKER PINEAPPLE PORK
- SPRING ROLL IN A BOWL
or head on over to my Full Recipe Index with over 900 delicious Slimming World and Weight Watchers friendly recipes all fully searchable by meal type, ingredients, syn value and smart points etc
This recipe was originally posted on 6th of January 2016 and updated on 4th March 2020
You can also subscribe to Slimming Eats so that you never miss any new updates.
IF YOU TRY THIS RECIPE, LET US KNOW! LEAVE A COMMENT, RATE IT AND TAG US IN YOUR PHOTOS @SLIMMINGEATS ON INSTAGRAM
See the handy Pinterest image below if you wish to pin this for later 🙂
- 750g of Pork Shoulder blade chops, with all visible fat/bone removed
- 1 tsp of salt
- ½ tablespoon of paprika
- ½ tablespoon of smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon of onion powder
- ½ teaspoon of garlic powder
- 1.5 tbs of tomato paste
- 1 tbs of balsamic vinegar
- ½ cup (120mls) of apple juice (3 syns)
- 2 tbs of maple syrup (4 syns)
- 1.5 cups of water
- salt and black pepper
- spring onions, chopped (optional)
- Roughly slice pork shoulder blade chops into big sized chunks, place in a bowl with the salt, paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, black pepper and mix to coat.
- To a frying pan, add the tomato paste, apple juice, vinegar, maple syrup and water and stir to combine.
- Place in the pieces of pork.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat a little (you still want it to bubble) and let it continue to bubble until all liquid has reduced down to a thick barbecue sauce that coats the pork pieces, you can keep turning the pork pieces over in the sauce as the sauce has thickened, to ensure it's all coated in the sauce.
- Remove the pieces of pork and slice into small pieces and stir back into the sauce.
- Taste and season as needed with salt and black pepper.
- I like to sprinkle with chopped spring onion (but this is optional)
- Serve with your choice of sides.
This recipe is gluten free, dairy free, Slimming World and Weight Watchers friendly
- Slimming World - 2 syns per serving
- Green WW Smart Points - 6 per serving
- Blue WW Smart Points - 6 per serving
- Purple WW Smart Points - 6 per serving
SUITABLE FOR FREEZING
If you wish to share this recipe, then please do so by using the share buttons provided.
Do not screenshot content or post recipe or content in full. All images and content on Slimming Eats are copyright protected.
Nutritional information, syn values, points etc are an estimate and is to be used for informational purposes only. Ingredients can vary greatly from brand to brand and therefore it would be impossible to give accurate information. It is always advised that you calculate by the ingredients you use.
It is the responsibility of the Reader to assure the products or ingredients they use in any recipes from Slimming Eats are allergen-free (gluten-free, egg-free, soy-free and/or dairy-free, for example). Slimming Eats assumes no liability for inaccuracies or misstatement about products, opinions or comments on this site.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Santoku Knife-MAD SHARK Pro Kitchen Knife 7 Inch Santoku Knife,Best Quality German High Carbon Stainless Steel Knife with Ergonomic Handle,Ultra Sharp,Best Choice for Home Kitchen and Restaurant
ProCook Professional Anodised Non-Stick Saute Pan with Lid | 28cm | 4.2L | Induction Pan with Toughened Glass Lid and Contoured Heat-Resistant Cooltouch Handles
TOMORAL Measuring Cups and Spoons Set of 13, Durable 304 Stainless Steel 5 Measuring Cups and 5 Measuring Spoons with 2 O Rings and Magnetic Measurement Conversion Chart
Nutrition InformationYield 4 Serving Size 1 SERVING
Amount Per Serving Calories 280Total Fat 7.1gSaturated Fat 2.3gCholesterol 122mgSodium 400mgCarbohydrates 13.2gFiber 1.4gSugar 9.9gProtein 39.4g