Fruity Chicken Curry - a delicious curry with tender pieces of chicken in a flavoursome curry sauce with vegetables and the sweetness from sultanas and the juice of an orange make it the perfect family recipe.
Chicken Curry with Sultanas
I am sure we all have certain dishes that remind us of our childhood and for me this Fruity Chicken Curry is one of those dishes.
My mum would always add either apple or sultanas to any curry she made, and I always remember loving that sweetness against the spices. It was one of the first curry recipes I introduced my children to, most kids love it because it's not too spicy and has that subtle sweet taste that compliments the blend of spices.
Best Chicken For Curry
While you will find chicken breast in certain curry recipes, for me it always has to be chicken thighs. I just prefer how tender they stay in a dish like this, plus they adds so much more flavour and depth to the sauce and really take on all the flavours that you add to the dish.
If you are not a fan of chicken thighs, then you can make the swap to chicken breast if you prefer, but just be aware that the flavours of the sauce won't be as rich and the water that is released from some chicken breasts may dilute the sauce. So you may need to adjust the ratios of ingredient
Hiding Vegetables in Curry
A great way to hide some vegetable in a curry is by using a food processor to pulse the vegetables until finely chopped, you can also use a grater if you don't have a food processor handy.
It's what I always used to do with vegetables if my kids were going through a particular fussy stage.
Another option if any members of your house hold are extremely fussy about veggies in a dish, is to remove the chicken pieces and blend up all the all the sauce with the vegetables until smooth before adding back in the chicken and sultanas.
Substitute for Sultanas
Don't like sultanas? You can add various different dried fruit to this curry, things like apricots work well or even prunes.
Or I sometimes add in some diced apple instead of the sultanas so that is a great option too, or some other fruits that will work are Mango, Banana or even pineapple. So don't be scared to experiment with the recipe to adapt it to your liking.
Sides for Curry
This curry with pair well with pretty much anything. A typical side would be some cooked Basmati or Jasmine rice.
or for a low carb option I love some roasted cauliflower or this Roasted Cauliflower Rice
But if you prefer your curry with chips, it's definitely a great combo, these Perfect Oven Baked Fries are perfect
More Curry Recipes
Love curry recipes? Check out these other recipes on Slimming Eats:
- Easy Butternut Squash Curry with Spinach
- Coconut Chicken and Red Pepper Curry
- Lamb Meatball and Bean Curry
- Quick Mild Chicken Curry
- Coconut Chicken and Lentil Curry
- Bombay Beef Curry (Stove Top and Instant Pot)
- Kidney Bean Curry (Rajma)
- Lamb Rogan Josh (Stove Top or Instant Pot)
or if you would like more recipe ideas - head on over to the FULL RECIPE INDEX where you will find over 900 delicious recipes and can search by ingredients, course, diet and more.
Come and follow me on:
FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST
TWITTER, TIK TOK and YOUTUBE
You can also subscribe to Slimming Eats
so that you never miss any new updates.
Need some extra Support? Come and check out my Facebook Group
If you try this recipe, let us know!
Leave a Comment, Rate It and Tag us in your
Photos @SLIMMINGEATS on INSTAGRAM
- 6 uncooked boneless skinless chicken thighs, trimmed of visible fat and sliced into bite size pieces (approx 600g/21oz)
- 1 medium courgette (zucchini), chopped
- 1 medium carrot, chopped
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 1 teaspoon of fresh grated ginger
- juice of an orange
- 30g (1oz) of sultanas
- 2 teaspoons of ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons of ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon of medium chilli powder
- 1 teaspoon of mustard seeds
- ½ teaspoon of turmeric
- ½ teaspoon of garam masala
- 1 cup (240ml) of chicken stock/broth
- 2 tablespoons of tomato paste (puree)
- Spray oil
- Salt and black pepper
- fresh coriander to serve
- Spray a frying pan over a medium high heat with some spray oil.
- Add the mustard seeds and once they start to pop, add the onion, carrot, ginger and garlic.
- Cook for a couple of mins until they start to go golden.
- Add the turmeric, cumin, coriander and chilli powder and stir to coat
- Add the chicken and a pinch of salt and black pepper and fry until browned.
- Add the courgette (zucchini), stock, tomato paste, juice of half an orange, sultanas and garam masala and bring to the boil, reduce heat slightly and simmer for approx 25-30 minutes until sauce has reduced and chicken is lovely and tender.
- Taste and season with salt and black pepper as needed.
- Serve topped with some fresh coriander and your choice of sides.
Please see below for full nutritional info and additional details about recipe:
- Calories - scroll down to nutritional info box
- WW Points and other Slimming or Weight Loss programs - due to plans regularly changing and updating, we recommend calculating with the official tools you get as a member to those plans to ensure accuracy of values.
If you wish to share this recipe, then please do so by using the share buttons provided at top of this post.
DO NOT COPY AND/OR PASTE FULL RECIPES OR SCREENSHOTS OF ANY CONTENT FROM SLIMMING EATS TO ANY SOCIAL MEDIA OR WEBSITE, IT IS STRICTLY PROHIBITED.
ALL IMAGES AND CONTENT ON SLIMMING EATS ARE COPYRIGHT PROTECTED
Nutritional information etc are an estimate and are to be used for informational purposes only. Ingredients can vary in values from brand to brand and therefore it would be impossible to give accurate information. It is always advised that you calculate values yourself by the ingredients you use and the tools provided to you as a member of the programme you are following.
It is the responsibility of the Reader to assure the products or ingredients they use in any recipes from Slimming Eats are allergen-free (gluten-free, egg-free, soy-free and/or dairy-free, for example). Slimming Eats assumes no liability for inaccuracies or misstatement about products, opinions or comments on this site.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition InformationYield 4 Serving Size 1 serving
Amount Per Serving Calories 290Total Fat 7gSaturated Fat 0gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 6gCholesterol 19mgSodium 289mgCarbohydrates 19gFiber 3gSugar 11gProtein 37g
Nutritional information, values, points etc are an estimate and is to be used for informational purposes only. Ingredients can vary greatly from brand to brand and therefore it would be impossible to give accurate information. It is always advised that you calculate by the ingredients you use.