This recipe is Gluten Free, Dairy Free, Whole 30, Paleo, Slimming World (SP), and Weight Watchers friendly
Slimming Eats Recipe
Extra Easy – syn free
Green – syn free
Original – syn free
- 1 large red onion, halved and sliced
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- few sprigs of fresh thyme (or other herbs of your choice)
- 720ml (3 cups) of beef broth
- splash of balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon of tomato paste
- spray oil
- black pepper
- If you want a chicken or vegetarian gravy, use chicken/vegetable broth.
- Spray a large saucepan over a medium high heat with some spray oil.
- Add the onion and garlic and cook until caramelised, you will need to keep adding a little of the stock to prevent the onions from sticking to the pan.
- Add the fresh herbs, remaining stock,tomato paste and a splash of balsamic vinegar, bring to the boil and reduce heat.
- Allow to simmer covered for approx 45 mins (this really brings out all the flavours and will reduce the stock down, but you can cook it for a shorter time period if you need to.)
- When it has cooked for the required time, add ½ of the mixture to a blender and blend until smooth. Return it back to the pan and mix well.
- This gravy is great with any meat or sausages or can even be used for the sauce for a shepherds pie or similar.