The Best Slimming World Syn Free Gravy you will ever make. The perfect accompaniment to a variety of main meals.
I have been making this gravy for years. I never use gravy granules anymore because I generally try to avoid anything with MSG added or any other unnecessary ingredients, not to mention it isn’t syn free and doesn’t taste half as good.
I first shared this recipe back in 2009 and it has been loved by many ever since. If you don’t admit to eating some of this with a spoon before it hits your plate, then you are telling fibs.
It is really easy to make, using simple ingredients and can be varied by what type stock or broth you use to compliment what type of dish you are cooking. For example, use chicken broth/stock for chicken dishes.
Or use beef broth/stock for a rich beef version, like in the picture below. The rest of the pictures are for an amazing chicken version which is just perfect for our usual Sunday dinner.
You can even make a vegetarian/vegan version by using vegetable stock. WOW!!!
You also can’t have a Sunday Roast Dinner without this syn free gravy to drizzle all over these 1 Syn Yorkshire Puddings, Best Ever Syn Free Roast Potatoes and Bulgur Wheat Sage and Onion Stuffing Balls or Sausage, Onion, Sage, Quinoa Stuffing are just shouting out to be smothered in this.
But don’t save it just for those recipes, Head on over to my FULL RECIPE INDEX where you will find over 500+ delicious Slimming World recipes to choose from and all are searchable by syn value, meal type, ingredients etc.
This syn free gravy just uses some basic ingredients, nothing hard to find or complicated. just onion, garlic, fresh herbs, stock, balsamic vinegar and a little tomato paste (puree). Traditionally you won’t find tomato in a gravy, but this helps thicken it and it’s such a small amount it won’t taste of tomato, trust me.
You do need a blender of some description to blend it all up once cooked.
I use my Nutri Ninja Blender with Auto IQ. This blender is amazing. The auto IQ technology feature, mean it blends to a set pattern depending on what it is you are making. There is also an optional add-on for a food processor bowl, which is perfect for chopping and grating vegetables. Sauces and soups are literally so smooth, once complete with this amazing kitchen gadget.
Don’t worry though, you don’t need a fancy high-tech blender like mine above, a good old immersion stick blender like the Koölle Electric Powerful 3-in-1 800 Watt Hand Stick Blender or a similar make will do the job too.
I do recommend simmering for the suggested length of time for those flavours to develop. It might seem like an effort, but it really is worth it and you can always double or triple up the recipe to make a large batch, as it is a perfect recipe for freezing, and then just taking out of the freezer as you need it.
WHAT KITCHEN ITEMS DO I NEED TO MAKE SYN FREE GRAVY?
- Deep Saucepan
- Kitchen Scales
- Measuring Cups
- Measuring Jug
- Measuring Spoons
- Blender or Immersion Stick Blender
- Wooden Spoon
- Santoku Knife (perfect knife for chopping veg)
- Chopping Board
Don’t forget to subscribe to Slimming Eats to keep up to date on all new recipes.
IF YOU TRY THIS RECIPE, LET US KNOW! LEAVE A COMMENT, RATE IT AND DON’T FORGET TO TAG US IN YOUR PHOTOS @SLIMMINGEATS ON INSTAGRAM AND DON’T FORGET TO FOLLOW SLIMMING EATS ON FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST | TWITTER | and YOUTUBE TO MAKE SURE YOU KEEP UP TO DATE ON ALL NEW RECIPES 🙂
Syn Free Gravy | Slimming World
Yield 4 servings
This recipe is gluten free, dairy free, vegetarian, Slimming World and Weight Watchers friendly
- Extra Easy - syn free per serving
- Original/SP - syn free per serving
- Green/Vegetarian/Vegan - syn free per serving (use vegetable stock)
- WW Smart Points - 0
*Suitable for Freezing
- 1 extra large red onion (or 2 medium), halved and sliced
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- few sprigs of fresh thyme (or other herbs of your choice), if using dried, just add a pinch.
- 720ml (3 cups) of beef broth/stock (or use chicken, lamb, vegetable etc)
- 1 tablespoon of balsamic vinegar
- 1 level tablespoon of tomato paste/purée
- spray oil
- black pepper
- Spray a large saucepan over a medium high heat with some spray oil.
- Add the onion and garlic and cook until caramelised, you will need to keep adding a little of the stock to prevent the onions from sticking to the pan.
- Add the fresh herbs, remaining stock, tomato paste and a balsamic vinegar, bring to the boil and reduce heat.
- Allow to simmer covered for approx 30-40 mins (this really brings out all the flavours and will reduce the stock down)
- When it has cooked for the required time, add the mixture to a blender and blend until smooth. Return it back to the pan and mix, continue to simmer for about 5 mins until desired thickness,
- This gravy is great with any meat or sausages or can even be used for the sauce for a shepherds pie or similar.
Nutritional information is an estimate and is to be used for informational purposes only.
Ingredients can vary greatly from brand to brand and therefore it would be impossible to give accurate information. Also, double-check syn values of synned ingredients as different brands can vary.
All images and content on Slimming Eats are copyright protected.
If you wish to share this recipe, then please do so by using the share buttons provided. Do not screenshot or post recipe or content in full
Serving Size 1 serving
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value
Total Fat 0.1 g
Sodium 60.3 mg
Total Carbohydrates 5.1 g
Dietary Fiber 0.7 g
Sugars 1.7 g
Protein 2.1 g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
It is the responsibility of the Reader to assure the products or ingredients they use in any recipes from Slimming Eats are allergen-free (gluten-free, egg-free and/or dairy-free, for example) or Vegetarian friendly. Slimming Eats assumes no liability for inaccuracies or misstatement about products, opinions or comments on this site.
Nutritional information is an estimate and is to be used for informational purposes only
Looking for some additional support on your weight loss journey? Did you know Slimming Eats has a friendly Slimming World Facebook Support Group where you can get daily meal ideas and recipe ideas? Come and check us out, we’d love to have you join.
Looking for some other recipes? Head on over to my RECIPE INDEX for over 900 Slimming World & Weight Watchers recipes for you to browse through, all fully searchable by meal type, Ingredients, syn value and WW Smart Points etc
All images and content on Slimming Eats are copyright protected.
If you wish to share this recipe, then please do so by using the share buttons provided. Do not screenshot or post recipe or content in full.