Instant Pot Lamb Bhuna (Bhuna Gosht) – tender fall apart pieces of lamb cooked in a delicious spicy onion tomato gravy that coats ever morsel of tender meat.
Bhuna Gosht 0r Lamb Bhuna
Bhuna Gosht is a popular curry choice that originates from the Punjab region of India. Bhuna being the process of dry frying spices and gosht the slow cooking process of cooking meat like lamb or mutton until tender.
There are many different variations of this popular recipe out there, some simple and some with a long list of ingredients that can seem daunting.
My version is a simplified take on this popular dish using just a few ingredients but not compromising on taste.
Instant Pot Lamb Bhuna
This yummy Lamb Bhuna recipe is cooked in an Instant Pot (pressure cooker) saving time while still getting that yummy tender meat. But if you don’t own a pressure cooker this can also be cooked in a slow cooker.
If you haven’t heard of an Instant Pot you are seriously missing out. It is the best kitchen gadget I have purchased.
A 7in1 cooker, that slow cooks, pressure cooks, sautes and has settings for soup, chilli, rice, porridge etc
(As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.)
Since I bought my instant pot, I use it regularly. It comes in some handy for cooking soups, stews, casseroles, curries, and I love making extra so I can freeze at least one tub of leftovers.
Can I use other types of meat in this Bhuna Recipe?
I use lamb, but if lamb is not for you, other types of meat that work well are beef, mutton or goat. All meats that are perfect for this style of the cooking process.
So if you don’t have lamb or prefer to use another kind of meat, then just swap like for like.
The only type of meat that would affect the cooking process of this recipe is chicken, as it takes a lot less time to cook, especially if you were to use chicken breast, so that’s something to bear in mind when making swaps.
What Spices do I need for Lamb Bhuna (Bhuna Gosht)
A traditional bhuna recipe has a long list of spices, some that you may not have even heard of.
My simplified version uses just a few ingredients that most have in their pantry cupboard, such as
- Chilli Powder (you can use your preferred type of chilli powder, bearing in mind that different chilli powders have different spice levels. I use a chilli powder called Deggi Mirch, which can be purchased at most Indian Grocers or on Amazon.
- (As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.)
- Green Cardamon Pods
Can I use canned tomatoes?
You will notice I use fresh tomatoes in the Lamb Bhuna recipe. Fresh tomatoes are preferred over canned as they will yield a much nicer gravy and are less acidic.
Use canned tomatoes if that is all you have, but just be aware that the gravy/sauce may not be exactly the same.
How to Serve Lamb Bhuna (Bhuna Gosht)
I served this alongside some steamed white rice and sauteed spinach for some healthy vegetables.
There are lots of great choices you could add to this dish in my Indian Fakeaway Section.
More Lamb Recipes
Want some other lamb recipes to try? Check out these recipes:
- LAMB AND MINT MEATBALLS IN A SWEET AND SPICY SAUCE
- GREEK STYLE LAMB BURGERS
- LAMB MEATBALLS WITH A SPICY TOMATO SAUCE
- SHEPHERD’S PIE
- MOUSSAKA MEATBALLS
- DONER KEBAB MEATZZA
- LAMB ROGAN JOSH
or head on over to my Full Recipe Index with over 850 delicious Slimming World and Weight Watchers recipes all fully searchable by meal type, ingredients, syn value and smart points etc
You can also subscribe to Slimming Eats so that you never miss any new updates.
IF YOU TRY THIS RECIPE, LET US KNOW! LEAVE A COMMENT, RATE IT AND TAG US IN YOUR PHOTOS @SLIMMINGEATS ON INSTAGRAM
See the handy Pinterest image below if you wish to pin this for later 🙂
- 600g of Diced Lamb (trim visible fat)
- 1 tablespoon of ghee (or oil of choice)
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 1.5 teaspoons of deggi mirch (chilli powder) - add more if you like extra spicy
- 1/2 teaspoon of turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1 tbs of grated fresh ginger root
- 4 cardamon pods
- 3 cloves
- pinch of nutmeg
- pinch of coarse black pepper
- 5 ripe medium tomatoes, peeled and diced
- 1/4 cup (60ml) of water
- 1/4 cup (4 tbs) of fat-free plain yoghurt
- freshly chopped coriander
Instant Pot (Pressure Cooker)
- Set instant pot to saute mode. Add the ghee
- Once it displays hot, spray with cooking oil spray, add in the onion, garlic and ginger and fry for a couple of minutes until translucent and softened.
- Add in the chilli powder, turmeric, salt, nutmeg, cardamom, cloves and a pinch of black pepper and continue to fry until the onion mixture is coated and paste-like.
- Turn off instant pot. Add in the lamb, tomatoes and 1/4 cup (60ml) of water and mix to combine.
- Add the lid (close valve if not self-sealing) and set to high pressure for 25 minutes. Once Instant Pot finishes cooking, let the pressure release naturally for at least 10 minutes and then you can release any remaining pressure.
- Remove lid.
- Add the yoghurt to a jug, spoon in some of the hot gravy and whisk to combine, this will bring up the temperature of the yoghurt, to prevent it from splitting.
- Turn the instant pot to saute mode and let it bubble until the remaining sauce reduces down and just coats the lamb. Then turn off instant pot, taste and season as needed.
- Then stir in the yoghurt mixture and sprinkle with chopped coriander.
- Serve and enjoy!!
This recipe is gluten free, Slimming World and Weight Watchers friendly
- Slimming World - 1.5 syns per serving
- WW Flex/Freestyle Smart Points - 6 per serving
- Dairy Free - use vegetable oil, omit yoghurt or use a dairy-free yoghurt alternative.
*Suitable for freezing
Slow Cooker? - brown onions as per pressure cooker method and then cook on low for 8 hours, you will need to transfer to stove top for last couple of steps to reduce sauce and add yoghurt!!
If you wish to share this recipe, then please do so by using the share buttons provided.
Do not screenshot or post recipe or content in full.
Nutritional information, syn values, points etc are an estimate and is to be used for informational purposes only. Ingredients can vary greatly from brand to brand and therefore it would be impossible to give accurate information.
It is the responsibility of the Reader to assure the products or ingredients they use in any recipes from Slimming Eats are allergen-free (gluten-free, egg-free, soy free and/or dairy-free, for example). Slimming Eats assumes no liability for inaccuracies or misstatement about products, opinions or comments on this site.
All images and content on Slimming Eats are copyright protected.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Na'vi Organics Organic Certified - Grass Fed - English Ghee (350 ml)
Latest 3pc Plastic Measuring Jug Set - Large 4-Cup (1 Litre), 2-Cup (500ml) and Small 1-Cup (250 ml) - Microwave Safe - Clear, Easy to Read Measurements - Cook with Accuracy
Mdh Deggi Mirch - 100g
TOMORAL Measuring Cups and Spoons Set of 13, Durable 304 Stainless Steel 5 Measuring Cups and 5 Measuring Spoons with 2 O Rings and Magnetic Measurement Conversion Chart
Instant Pot Duo V2 7-in-1 Electric Pressure Cooker, 6 Qt, 5.5L 1000 W, Brushed Stainless Steel/Black, 220-240v, Stainless Steel Inner Pot
Nutrition Information:Serving Size: 1 SERVING
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 300Total Fat: 12.4gSaturated Fat: 5.2gCholesterol: 105mgSodium: 411mgCarbohydrates: 13gFiber: 2.6gSugar: 2.3gProtein: 32.9g
It is the responsibility of the Reader to assure the products or ingredients they use in any recipes from Slimming Eats are allergen-free (gluten-free, egg-free and/or dairy-free, for example) or Vegetarian friendly. Slimming Eats assumes no liability for inaccuracies or misstatement about products, opinions or comments on this site.
Nutritional information is an estimate and is to be used for informational purposes only
Looking for some additional support on your weight loss journey? Did you know Slimming Eats has a friendly Slimming World Facebook Support Group where you can get daily meal ideas and recipe ideas? Come and check us out, we’d love to have you join.
Looking for some other recipes? Head on over to my RECIPE INDEX for over 900 Slimming World & Weight Watchers recipes for you to browse through, all fully searchable by meal type, Ingredients, syn value and WW Smart Points etc
All images and content on Slimming Eats are copyright protected.
If you wish to share this recipe, then please do so by using the share buttons provided. Do not screenshot or post recipe or content in full.