Looking for a syn free treat? Then look no further, these Cinnamon Sugar Pita Chips are yummy!!
There is a great little farm shop near me that sells various fruit and vegetables, and healthy goods that are hard to obtain anywhere else, such as gluten free pasta and noodles, coconut aminos (a great soy free soy sauce alternative), PB2 and lots of other great finds. I love there selection of vegetables, as they often have different varieties to try that I don't find in the supermarket. So I have a visit there about once a month, to stock up on the few bits I like.
As well as the healthy stuff though, they also have some really naughty things and one of those is these deep fried pita chips that are coated in sugar and cinnamon. I don't even want to think about the syn value of those, but I have tried a couple when the kids insisted I get them some, and omg they are SOOO good.
Well you know where this is going right? Me being me, whenever I try something good, if it is not Slimming World friendly, or sometimes even when it is, I set to work on my own version.
and so here you have these delicious Oven Baked Cinnamon Sugar Pita Chips.
For the syn free version use sweetener. I recommend sukrin:1 as it has none of that aftertaste you get with some other sweeteners, but if you are willing to use just a little syns, then use regular sugar.
Then all you need is a coconut spray oil, cinnamon and two healthy extra b choices of pita bread. I use 4 of these Joseph Bakery Low Carb Flax Oat Bran & Whole Wheat Pita Breads (2 are a HEb choice here in the US and Canada) and you can order them on amazon in the UK. But if you can't get your hand on these just use 2 HEb's of any qualifying pita breads. This recipe serves 2 people.
Cinnamon is quite an obsession on this side of the Atlantic. Cinnamon flavours everything, you even get it on a baked sweet potato in some places. There are Cinnabon booths at literally every mall too, another items that is deadly when it comes to syns. Luckily those are not a weakness for me. But these Oven Baked Cinnamon Sugar Pita Breads will now be a favourite whenever I have a healthy extra b choice spare. Although if I am to get much of a look in with these, I think I will need to make a double batch if the kids are around.
Oh and if you have ever tried a cinnamon and loved those, check out this recipe for Cinnamon Roll Slices - they are inspired by the Cinnabon and kind of like a cross between those and a Eccles cake. Seriously yummy, as Eccles cakes are something I do love, but wow have you see the syn value in an original one of those? Scary.
So next time you fancy a snack or have a movie night planned, make up a batch of these Cinnamon Sugar Pita Chips and dig in and enjoy!!
Looking for some more sweet recipes to try? – Previously on Slimming Eats
- 1 year ago: Cake Batter Frozen Yoghurt
- 2 years ago: Healthy Extra Chocolate Orange Bites
- 4 years ago: Chocolate Scan Bran Cake
- 5 years ago: Mini Raspberry and Strawberry Pavlova
- 6 years ago: Low Syn American Style Pancakes
- 7 years ago: Raspberry and Lemon Sponge Cake
with many more dessert recipes in my full Recipe Index
Syn Free Cinnamon Sugar Pita Chips
Yield 2 servings
This recipe is dairy free, Vegetarian, Slimming World and Weight Watchers friendly
- Extra Easy - 1 HEb and 1.5 syns (or syn free when using sukrin:1)
- Green/Vegetarian - 1 HEb and 1.5 syns (or syn free when using sukrin:1)
- Original/SP - 1 HEb and 1.5 syns (or syn free when using sukrin:1)
- WW Smart Points - 4 (or 2 when using sukrin: 1)
- 2 HEb servings of whole wheat pita bread - 2xHEb's (make sure they are HEb qualifying ones)
- 1 tablespoon of sugar - 2.5 syns (or use sukrin:1 or another sweetener of choice for a syn free option)
- ½ tsp of cinnamon
- spray oil (I use coconut)
- Preheat oven to 200c/400f (gas mark 6)
- Using some scissors or a knife, carefully cut open the pita breads, so that you have 4 halves or 8 halves if using the Joseph Bakery pita breads.
- Then cut the pitta breads into small triangle shaped bites.
- Spread out on a baking tray lined with parchment paper.
- In a bowl mix together the sugar (or sweetener) and cinnamon
- lightly mist over the top of the pita bread pieces with spray oil
- and sprinkle over the top with half the sugar/cinnamon mix.
- Then using a large spatula, carefully flip over and again lightly mist the other side of the pita pieces with spray oil and sprinkle with the remains sugar cinnamon/mix
- Place in the oven and bake until the pita chips are lightly golden and crisp. Approx 5-7 mins (keep an eye on these as they can burn fast if you don't).
- Add to a plate or bowl and dig in and enjoy
Ensure the pita bread you use qualifies as a HEb choice. I use these Joseph's Bakery Low Carb, Flax, Oat and Whole Wheat Pita Breads (as 2 are a HEb here in the US and Canada). You can get them on amazon in the UK.
Nutritional information is an estimate and is to be used for informational purposes only. Ingredients can vary greatly from brand to brand and therefore it would be impossible to give accurate information. You should always double check syn values for synned items.
All images and content on Slimming Eats are copyright protected.
If you wish to share this recipe, then please do so by using the share buttons provided. Do not screenshot or post recipe or content in full
Serving Size 1 serving
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value
Total Fat 4 g
Sodium 600 mg
Total Carbohydrates 22.8 g
Dietary Fiber 8.3 g
Sugars 6.3 g
Protein 12 g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.