Looking for a treat? Then look no further, these Cinnamon Sugar Pita Chips are yummy!!
There is a great little farm shop near me that sells various fruit and vegetables, and healthy goods that are hard to obtain anywhere else, such as gluten free pasta and noodles, coconut aminos (a great soy free soy sauce alternative), PB2 and lots of other great finds. I love there selection of vegetables, as they often have different varieties to try that I don't find in the supermarket. So I have a visit there about once a month, to stock up on the few bits I like.
As well as the healthy stuff though, they also have some really naughty things and one of those is these deep fried pita chips that are coated in sugar and cinnamon. I have tried a couple when the kids insisted I get them some, and omg they are SOOO good.
Well you know where this is going right? Me being me, whenever I try something good, if it is not Slimming friendly, or sometimes even when it is, I set to work on my own version.
and so here you have these delicious Oven Baked Cinnamon Sugar Pita Chips.
For the good version use sweetener. I recommend sukrin:1 as it has none of that aftertaste you get with some other sweeteners, but if you are willing to use just a little sugar, then use regular sugar.
Then all you need is a coconut spray oil, cinnamon and choices of pita bread. I use Joseph Bakery Low Carb Flax Oat Bran & Whole Wheat Pita Breads and you can order them on amazon in the UK. But if you can't get your hand on these just use any qualifying pita breads. This recipe serves 2 people.
Cinnamon is quite an obsession on this side of the Atlantic. Cinnamon flavours everything, you even get it on a baked sweet potato in some places. There are Cinnabon booths at literally every mall too. Luckily those are not a weakness for me. But these Oven Baked Cinnamon Sugar Pita Breads will now be a favourite. Although if I am to get much of a look in with these, I think I will need to make a double batch if the kids are around.
Oh and if you have ever tried a cinnamon and loved those, check out this recipe for Cinnamon Roll Slices - they are inspired by the Cinnabon and kind of like a cross between those and a Eccles cake. Seriously yummy, as Eccles cakes are something I do love.
So next time you fancy a snack or have a movie night planned, make up a batch of these Cinnamon Sugar Pita Chips and dig in and enjoy!!
Looking for some more sweet recipes to try? – Previously on Slimming Eats
- 1 year ago: Cake Batter Frozen Yoghurt
- 2 years ago: Healthy Extra Chocolate Orange Bites
- 4 years ago: Chocolate Scan Bran Cake
- 5 years ago: Mini Raspberry and Strawberry Pavlova
- 6 years ago: American Style Pancakes
- 7 years ago: Raspberry and Lemon Sponge Cake
with many more dessert recipes in my full Recipe Index
- 2 HEb servings of whole wheat pita bread
- 1 tablespoon of sugar - (or use sukrin:1 )
- ½ tsp of cinnamon
- spray oil (I use coconut)
- Preheat oven to 200c/400f (gas mark 6)
- Using some scissors or a knife, carefully cut open the pita breads, so that you have 4 halves or 8 halves if using the Joseph Bakery pita breads.
- Then cut the pitta breads into small triangle shaped bites.
- Spread out on a baking tray lined with parchment paper.
- In a bowl mix together the sugar (or sweetener) and cinnamon
- lightly mist over the top of the pita bread pieces with spray oil
- and sprinkle over the top with half the sugar/cinnamon mix.
- Then using a large spatula, carefully flip over and again lightly mist the other side of the pita pieces with spray oil and sprinkle with the remains sugar cinnamon/mix
- Place in the oven and bake until the pita chips are lightly golden and crisp. Approx 5-7 mins (keep an eye on these as they can burn fast if you don't).
- Add to a plate or bowl and dig in and enjoy
Please see below for full nutritional info and additional details about recipe:
- Calories - scroll down to nutritional info box
- WW Points and other Slimming or Weight Loss programs - due to plans regularly changing and updating, we recommend calculating with the official tools you get as a member to those plans to ensure accuracy of values.
If you wish to share this recipe, then please do so by using the share buttons provided at top of this post.
DO NOT COPY AND/OR PASTE FULL RECIPES OR SCREENSHOTS OF ANY CONTENT FROM SLIMMING EATS TO ANY SOCIAL MEDIA OR WEBSITE, IT IS STRICTLY PROHIBITED.
ALL IMAGES AND CONTENT ON SLIMMING EATS ARE COPYRIGHT PROTECTED
Nutritional information etc are an estimate and are to be used for informational purposes only. Ingredients can vary in values from brand to brand and therefore it would be impossible to give accurate information. It is always advised that you calculate values yourself by the ingredients you use and the tools provided to you as a member of the programme you are following.
It is the responsibility of the Reader to assure the products or ingredients they use in any recipes from Slimming Eats are allergen-free (gluten-free, egg-free, soy-free and/or dairy-free, for example). Slimming Eats assumes no liability for inaccuracies or misstatement about products, opinions or comments on this site.
Nutrition InformationYield 2 Serving Size 1 serving
Amount Per Serving Calories 145Total Fat 4gSodium 600mgCarbohydrates 22.8gFiber 8.3gSugar 6.3gProtein 12g