Make the ultimate SP friendly meal, with this Spiralized Butternut Squash Topped Meat Pie
So it was day 6 of my full Slimming World SP week and I really fancied a cottage pie type dish. Usually I prefer to top with a mixture of regular and sweet potato like in this yummy Syn Free Cottage Pie or a more rustic potato topping like in these Mini Cottage Pies, but of course potatoes are off the menu for a SP day.
I've done swede and carrot or mashed cauliflower toppings before, but really fancied something different tonight. Normally when I feel like that, I browse the fridge and pantry for inspiration.
I love butternut squash, it's such a yummy vegetable, perfect for those carb cravings and best of all it is a speed food too. I have various recipes if you want to give this versatile vegetable a try, like:
- Butternut Squash Fries - great speed alternative to chips
- Bombay Butternut Squash - a perfect side to a curry
- Roasted Butternut Squash with Paprika - loves this with eggs for breakfast
- Roasted Butternut Squash Cauliflower Rice - a delicious replacement for rice
- Malaysian Butternut Squash Curry - one of my favourite veggie curries
- Spiralized Butternut Squash and Celeriac - another great speed alternative to chips
- Butternut Squash Soup - delicious and light soup
I figured butternut squash would be a perfect topping for the pie I was craving. However I didn't want to mash it, I love it's flavour when roasted or baked.
I had recently been making some zoodles (spiralized zucchini/courgette) and hadn't yet put away my vegetable spiralizer and so it gave me the genius idea to spiralize the butternut squash for my topping.
I have a counter top spiralizer, which is perfect for spiralizing all kind of different shaped vegetables. It's super useful to have, for making meals interesting when you want to increase your speed foods.
So I spiralized and seasoned some butternut squash, then baked for a little bit before mixing with cheddar and an egg and then using as a topping for this Spiralized Butternut Squash Topped Meat Pie and oh my the result was amazing.
You can eat this just as it is, as it's packed with speed or serve it up with a side of your choice. Hey you don't even have to be doing a Slimming World SP day or week to enjoy this.