Gluten Free Oven Baked Scotch Eggs - a delicious recipe for homemade scotch eggs, once you try these you will never go back to shop bought versions ever again.
Anytime anyone mentions a picnic or a party, the one things that always pops into my mind is Scotch Eggs. Mainly because are a perfectly portable food item that can be enjoyed hot or warm and hugely popular in the UK.
I haven't had one for years since we moved to Canada, so when a craving hit me recently, I knew a homemade version was on the cards.
The first challenge, I wanted to make sure this recipe was gluten free because I have lots of friends and gluten-free readers out there. Whenever I can create a delicious gluten-free version, then that will always be my first option.
The sausage part to the scotch eggs is easy, using the basics of my Pork Breakfast Sausage Patties (which are a huge hit among readers btw) and a couple of additional ingredients.
For the coating, it was simple - almond flour, a little starch, and a delicious blend of spices for flavouring. Once you divide these up into servings that almond flour is hardly any cals and perfect for this recipe.
One oven baked scotch egg is a pretty decent size and one on its own filling enough with some salad.
Of course, if you are not gluten free - feel free to swap the almond flour for regular breadcrumbs or panko (for that extra golden colour). Just adjust the calories accordingly.
Wondering what other recipes are good for a picnic or packed lunch? Check out these:
- CHEDDAR BUTTER BEAN BITES
- SWEET CHILLI CHICKEN MEATBALLS (OVEN OR ACTIFRY)
- PEPPERONI PIZZA EGG BITES
- INSTANT POT SOUS VIDE EGG BITES
- CRANBERRY ALMOND CHICKEN MEATBALLS
- THAI CRAB CAKES
- BRUSSELS SPROUTS SALAD WITH ALMONDS, APPLE AND CRANBERRIES
- HAWAIIAN PASTA SALAD
- ROASTED BUTTERNUT SQUASH CHICKEN QUINOA SALAD
- LENTIL CHEDDAR SWEETCORN BAKE
- SAUSAGE ROLLS
- CRAB STICK SALAD
or head on over to my Packed Lunches and Picnics section or Full Recipe Index with over 850 delicious Slimming Eats and Weight Watchers recipes all fully searchable by meal type, ingredients, value and smart points etc.
HOW CAN I ADD A ⅓ VEGETABLES TO THESE OVEN BAKED SCOTCH EGGS?
A mixed salad is a perfect addition to these scotch eggs, you can go for any salad items you like, such as:
- Pickled Onions
- Tomatoes etc
and if you like something like a relish or sauce to go alongside your scotch egg. This Tomato and Red Onion Relish is delicious.
KITCHEN ITEMS USED TO MAKE THESE OVEN BAKED SCOTCH EGGS
- Measuring Scales
- Chopping Board
- Measuring spoons
- Santoku Knife
- Wooden Spoon
- Mixing Bowl
- Non-Stick Frying Pan
- Parchment Paper
- Baking Tray
- 6 eggs
for the sausagemeat
- 455g of extra lean ground pork (pork mince)
- 1 small onion, diced finely
- 1 tsp of paprika
- ½ tsp of fennel seeds, crushed
- ½ tsp of ground sage (or can use fresh sage leaves)
- 1 tsp salt
- pinch black pepper
- ½ tbs of maple syrup or honey
for the coating
- 30g of almond meal
- 1 tbs of arrowroot flour (or can use tapioca or cornstarch)
- ½ tsp of paprika
- ½ tsp of dried parsley
- pinch of salt and pepper
- avocado spray oil (or another spray oil of choice)
- Add the eggs to a saucepan and cover with water, bring to a boil, turn off heat, add lid and leave for 2.5 minutes and then add straight to a bowl of ice and water to stop them cooking any further. (can do this part the night before)
- Once fully cooled carefully peel the shells of the eggs and set aside.
- Spray a frying pan with avocado spray oil over a medium high heat
- Add the onion and a little pinch of salt and fry until golden and softened, keep adding a little water in a reduce down to prevent any sticking, this will also help the onion to cook until really soft.
- Add to a bowl, along with the ground pork (pork mince), the 1 tsp of paprika, plus the fennel, sage, black pepper and maple syrup and mix to combine.
- Divide into 6 equal size balls.
- On a plate add the almond meal, arrowroot, ½ tsp of paprika, parsley and a pinch of salt and black pepper and just mix all up to combine.
- Preheat oven to 200c/400f
- Line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- Grab one ball of the sausage meat and flatten in hand. Add one egg and mold the sausage meal all around the egg so it froms a ball.
- Roll in the almond meal mix, place onto the baking tray.
- Repeat with the other 5 eggs.
- Once all scotch eggs are formed and on the baking tray, lightly mist over the top with some avocado spray oil.
- Place in the oven and bake for approx 20 minutes until sausage is cooked and the scotch eggs are lightly golden all over.
- Serve and enjoy!!
Please see below for full nutritional info and additional details about recipe:
- Calories - scroll down to nutritional info box
- WW Points and other Slimming or Weight Loss programs - due to plans regularly changing and updating, we recommend calculating with the official tools you get as a member to those plans to ensure accuracy of values.
If you wish to share this recipe, then please do so by using the share buttons provided at top of this post.
DO NOT COPY AND/OR PASTE FULL RECIPES OR SCREENSHOTS OF ANY CONTENT FROM SLIMMING EATS TO ANY SOCIAL MEDIA OR WEBSITE, IT IS STRICTLY PROHIBITED.
ALL IMAGES AND CONTENT ON SLIMMING EATS ARE COPYRIGHT PROTECTED
Nutritional information etc are an estimate and are to be used for informational purposes only. Ingredients can vary in values from brand to brand and therefore it would be impossible to give accurate information. It is always advised that you calculate values yourself by the ingredients you use and the tools provided to you as a member of the programme you are following.
It is the responsibility of the Reader to assure the products or ingredients they use in any recipes from Slimming Eats are allergen-free (gluten-free, egg-free, soy-free and/or dairy-free, for example). Slimming Eats assumes no liability for inaccuracies or misstatement about products, opinions or comments on this site.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Baking Tray Set of 4, HaWare Stainless Steel Baking Sheet –Rimmed Pan Baking Sets -Healthy & Non Toxic, Easy Clean & Dishwasher Safe (Large Size)
ZeZaZu Parchment Paper Sheets for Baking (100 Sheets), Precut 12 x 16 inches - Exact Fit for Half-Sheet Baking Pans, Unbleached, Dual-Sided Coating, Siliconized, Non-Stick, RECLOSABLE Pack
503 - Service Unavailable Error
Whole Foods Market - Organic Ground Almonds, 250 g
Arrowroot 500g (Buy Whole Foods Online Ltd.)
Nutrition InformationYield 6 Serving Size 1 Scotch Egg
Amount Per Serving Calories 217Total Fat 10.9gSaturated Fat 3.1gCholesterol 186mgSodium 535mgCarbohydrates 5.4gFiber 0.8gSugar 2.1gProtein 23.6g