This Layered Mexican Dip is the ultimate party dish.
Wondering what appetizer or dish to take along to any upcoming parties? Then this Layered Mexican Dip is just the dish to take. It is so addictive that once you dip in, you really won't be able to stop. But the good news is, it's pretty low in syns, so you don't have to feel guilty eating this one.
A layer of refried beans, salsa, soured cream, cheddar and spring onion, make this delicious dip.
I like to serve this Layered Mexican Dip with some crispy oven baked sweet potato slices or Oven Baked Tostones, but it is great with veggie crudites, syn free chips, or if you are willing to use some additional syns, you could serve with some low syn crackers, toasted pitta breads etc.
Don't have a party to make this for? I still recommend giving it a go, it is amazing served alongside these main dishes:
- Pasta Chicken Enchiladas
- Mexican Pasta Bake
- Spicy Mexican Lasagne
- Chilli Corn Carne
- Turkey Chilli
- Fajita Chicken Pasta
That's a whole load of delicious main courses to serve this Layered Mexican Dip with. Oh my!!
Extra Easy - 1 syn per serving
Green - 1 syn per serving
WW Smart Points - 3
- 1 cup of fat free Greek Yoghurt
- juice of a small lime
- 2 tbs of low fat cream cheese (2 syns)
- 1 can (540ml) of pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- 1 clove of garlic
- ¼ tsp of cumin
- ¼ tsp of paprika
- pinch of cayenne
- handful of coriander (finely chopped)
- 1 cup (240ml) of water
- salt and black pepper
- spray oil
- 10z/285g of chopped canned tomatoes (no juice)
- 2 vine tomatoes
- 1 small red onion
- ½ jalapeno, seeded
- juice of half a lime
- handful of coriander
- salt and black pepper
- 20g cheddar, grated - 4 syns
- 2 spring onions, finely chopped
- Add the yoghurt to a bowl
- Whisk in the lime juice and low fat cream cheese until smooth.
- Refrigerate for 3 hours.
- Spray a frying pan over a medium high heat with spray oil
- Add the onion and garlic and fry till softened.
- Add the pinto beans, cumin, paprika and pinch of cayenne, spray with a little more oil and fry for approx 5 mins.
- Add 1 cup of water and start to mash the beans with a masher.
- Keep doing this till until beans are well mashed and thicken.
- Mix in the chopped coriander and season to taste with salt and black pepper.
- Add to a clear glass dish and allow to cool
- Add the tomatoes, onion, jalapeno, lime juice and coriander to a blender or food processor and do a couple of pulses of the blade until it is all finely chopped.
- Season to taste with salt and black pepper and cover and refrigerate to allow the flavours to develop.
- When the soured cream is ready you can layer the dish.
- To the layer of refried beans,
- add 1 cup/240ml of the salsa you made (drain any excess liquid first, you don't want it too runny)
- Then top with 1 cup of the homemade soured cream.
- Sprinkle with the cheddar and spring onions.
- Serve with your choice of things to dip or add a spoonful to the side of one of the suggested main dishes.
Nutritional information is an estimate and is to be used for informational purposes only.
All images and content on Slimming Eats are copyright protected.
If you wish to share this recipe, then please do so by using the share buttons provided. Do not screenshot or post recipe or content in full