A delicious dairy free fat Creamy Mushroom Soup that is packed with flavour.
This time of year I love soups, there is nothing like a bowl of warm comforting soup on a cold winter's day, especially in Canada when some days in the winter can be -20 and I don't even want to leave the house.
I love using coconut milk, it adds a creamy kind of sweetness to dishes and is great in soups like this Creamy Mushroom Soup.
Sometimes I like to add some protein to the top of this. Shredded cooked chicken is great or even my hidden vegetable beef meatballs
As well as being dairy free, this Creamy Mushroom Soup is also gluten free, paleo and Whole30 friendly.
- 500g 17.5oz of mixed mushrooms (shitake, oyster and cremini)
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- pinch of dried thyme
- 3.5 cups (840ml) of chicken or vegetable stock
- ½ cup (120ml) of coconut milk, canned
- 1 tablespoon of cornstarch, arrowroot or tapioca flour
- low calorie spray
- salt and black pepper
- fresh parsley
- Spray a large saucepan over a medium high heat with some low calorie spray
- Add the onion and saute till golden and softened
- Stir in the mushrooms and garlic, add a couple of tablespoons of stock and continue to saute, until till the mushrooms start to go lightly golden.
- Add the stock and thyme, bring to a boil and then simmer for approx 20 mins covered.
- Remove half the soup and blend in a blender. Add this back to the pan with ¼ cup of the coconut milk
- Then mix the arrowroot powder with a little cold water into a paste, stir this into the soup, along with the coconut milk and gently heat while stirring until it has thickened. Season to taste with salt and black pepper.
- Serve with a couple of spoonfuls of remaining coconut milk and fresh chopped Italian parsley.
Please see below for full nutritional info and additional details about recipe:
- Calories - scroll down to nutritional info box
- WW Points and other Slimming or Weight Loss programs - due to plans regularly changing and updating, we recommend calculating with the official tools you get as a member to those plans to ensure accuracy of values.
If you wish to share this recipe, then please do so by using the share buttons provided at top of this post.
DO NOT COPY AND/OR PASTE FULL RECIPES OR SCREENSHOTS OF ANY CONTENT FROM SLIMMING EATS TO ANY SOCIAL MEDIA OR WEBSITE, IT IS STRICTLY PROHIBITED.
ALL IMAGES AND CONTENT ON SLIMMING EATS ARE COPYRIGHT PROTECTED
Nutritional information etc are an estimate and are to be used for informational purposes only. Ingredients can vary in values from brand to brand and therefore it would be impossible to give accurate information. It is always advised that you calculate values yourself by the ingredients you use and the tools provided to you as a member of the programme you are following.
It is the responsibility of the Reader to assure the products or ingredients they use in any recipes from Slimming Eats are allergen-free (gluten-free, egg-free, soy-free and/or dairy-free, for example). Slimming Eats assumes no liability for inaccuracies or misstatement about products, opinions or comments on this site.
Nutrition InformationYield 4 Serving Size 1 SERVING
Amount Per Serving Calories 130Total Fat 7gSaturated Fat 3gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 7gCholesterol 70mgSodium 229mgCarbohydrates 12gFiber 7gSugar 4gProtein 6g
Nutritional information and valuesetc are an estimate and is to be used for informational purposes only. Ingredients can vary greatly from brand to brand and therefore it would be impossible to give accurate information. It is always advised that you calculate by the ingredients you use.