Mexican Spaghetti Squash Bake - both healthy and delicious with bold flavours, black beans and melted golden cheese.
Spaghetti squash has to be up there at the top of my list for favourite vegetables. It's so versatile and can be used in a variety of really creative ways to create the most delicious healthy dishes.
Before I moved to Canada, I probably would not have even known what spaghetti squash is. But now with it available at pretty much every grocery store here, it's a regular item in my grocery cart.
Spaghetti Squash is pretty unique in that once cooked resembles strands of spaghetti, so is a perfect natural gluten free replacement for pasta or noodles and a great speed food to add to your plate.
Perfect with spaghetti bolognese instead of pasta, add it to your chow mein instead of noodles, or do a half and half mix if you really can't live without the pasta.
Another favourite way to use cooked spaghetti squash is in a delicious cheesy bake like this Mexican Spaghetti Squash Bake. Seriously it's so darn flavoursome, I could eat it every week.
and if Mexican inspired flavours don't tempt you, check out my:
- Syn Free Spaghetti Squash Bake
- Barbecue Chicken Spaghetti Squash Bake
- Bacon, Fennel, Mushroom Spaghetti Squash Bake
so many yummy choices, right??
To cook the spaghetti squash, my favourite method is in the oven see my How to Cook Spaghetti Squash, it's a really simple method and gives you perfect long strands of squash instead of short.
Once you have the cooked spaghetti squash you can then turn it into this yummy Mexican Spaghetti Squash Bake.
Looking for some additional support on your weight loss journey? Did you know Slimming Eats has a friendly Slimming World Facebook Support Group where you can get daily meal ideas and recipe ideas? Come and check us out, we’d love to have you join us.
How can I add a ⅓ speed foods to this Syn Free Mexican Spaghetti Squash Bake?
You are totally covered with this dish, seeing as the majority of the dish is speed foods, so dig and enjoy without any of the guilt. But just in case you want to increase those speed foods even further, a side salad goes perfectly with a nice big slice.
Help!! I can't find spaghetti squash anywhere I hear you say. If you have one of these handy 5 blade spiralizer, you can try substituting the spaghetti squash for some spiralized butternut squash strands. I recommend just saute it in a pan with a bit of spray oil just to soften slightly before mixing it with the other ingredients.
What Kitchen Items do I need to make this Syn Free Mexican Spaghetti Squash Bake?
- Kitchen Scales
- Measuring Jug
- Chopping Board
- Santoku Knife (perfect knife for chopping veg)
- Wooden Spoon
- Frying Pan
- Oven Proof Dish
You can also subscribe to Slimming Eats so that you never miss any new updates.
IF YOU TRY THIS RECIPE, LET US KNOW! LEAVE A COMMENT, RATE IT AND TAG US IN YOUR PHOTOS @SLIMMINGEATS ON INSTAGRAM
See the handy Pinterest image below if you wish to pin this for later 🙂
For the Mexican Sauce
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove of garlic, crushed
- 1 cup (240ml) of crushed tomatoes (passata)
- 1 cup (240ml) of chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 tbs of tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons of paprika
- 1.5 teaspoon of chilli powder
- 1.5 teaspoon of cumin
- 1 teaspoon of oregano
- ½ teaspoon of onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon of white wine vinegar
- ¼ teaspoon of cayenne pepper
For the Bake
- 3 cups of spaghetti squash, cooked
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 10 grape tomatoes, chopped
- 1 tbs chopped fresh coriander, cilantro
- 60g (2oz) of cheddar
- 100g (3.5oz) of mozzarella
- 1 cup (170g) of black beans, canned
- cooking oil spray
For the Mexican Sauce
- Spray a saucepan with some spray oil over a medium high heat
- Add the onion and garlic and fry for approx 2 mins to soften.
- Add the crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, stock and spices and bring to a boil
- Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes to thicken. Set aside
For the Bake:
- Preheat oven to 200c/400f (gas mark 6)
- Add the spaghetti squash to a large bowl, along with the sauce, eggs and black beans, season with a little salt and black pepper
- Mix till all combined.
- Spray the oven proof dish with some cooking oil spray.
- Add the spaghetti squash mix to the dish.
- Top with the cheeses.
- Bake in the oven for 30 mins until the cheese is melted and golden.
- Top with the chopped tomatoes and sprinkle with fresh chopped coriander
- Slice, serve and enjoy!!
This recipe is gluten free, vegetarian, Slimming World and Weight Watchers friendly
- Extra Easy - 1 HEa per serving
- Green/Vegetarian - 1 HEa per serving
- WW Smart Points - 5 per serving
If you wish to share this recipe, then please do so by using the share buttons provided. Do not screenshot or post recipe or content in full.
All images and content on Slimming Eats are copyright protected.
Nutrition InformationYield 4 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 311Total Fat 14gSaturated Fat 7gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 6gCholesterol 129mgSodium 671mgCarbohydrates 29gFiber 8gSugar 8gProtein 19g
Nutritional information is an estimate and is to be used for informational purposes only. Ingredients can vary greatly from brand to brand and therefore it would be impossible to give accurate information.