Pizza is not just for Dinner - Try my Breakfast Hash Brown Pizza - a crispy golden hash brown base with all your favourite breakfast toppings.
I can't quite remember how this first came about.
I think I had grated some potato to make some hash to go with my eggs for breakfast, but then shaping the potato into patties on the tray, I thought hey why don't I just make one big hash brown that I can put everything on top off, which then of course popped the idea into my head for a pizza base and well as it was for breakfast - It just had to be a Breakfast Hash Brown Pizza.
They became a regular meal, especially at the weekend. Because who doesn't love all a crispy hash brown, topped with all the delicious parts of a breakfast?
For toppings - I like mix them up whenever I make this, my favourite being fried egg of course because fried eggs and hashbrowns go perfectly together. Occasionally though scrambled eggs are my preferred choice of topping. I do like the topping to include egg though because it just would not feel like a breakfast hash brown pizza without egg.
There really isn't a right or wrong, just, You could vary this Breakfast Hash Brown Pizza with so many other toppings. Add some chopped tomatoes, spinach, mushrooms, sausage whatever takes your fancy.
For the perfect hash brown base, I parboil the potatoes first, it's my preferred way to make hash browns because doing that step helps they go super crispy, just like a hash brown should be.
It's exactly how I make these Crispy Golden Hash Browns.
Another quick way instead of parboiling is to microwave the potato for about 3 mins, let it cool slightly and then you can remove the skin and grate.
Season well with salt and black pepper, then shape on a baking tray into your pizza base. Traditionally pizza's tend to be round, but you really can make it any shape you like. I'm picturing heart-shaped breakfast hash browns pizza for Valentines Day for your loved one or christmas tree shaped for the kids at Christmas.
The base needs to be baked in the oven on its own first, to crisp up, so you could actually prep that part the night before to save some time, the bases once cooked to the crispy golden stage freeze really well too, so make a few bases in advance and freeze them.
Next is the tomato pizza sauce, you can make this Breakfast Hash Brown Pizza without, I just mix passata (crushed tomatoes) with tomato paste, garlic powder and onion powder, keeping it nice quick and simple.
For vegetable toppings, I tend to go for peppers and onion and of course some yummy bacon but have also added sausage in the past too. Lean bacon is fat free, so if you want to keep this fat free then that is a better option.
I add only a little bit of cheese - 10g to be exact, as part of my healthy choice or you can choose that if you want to keep your healthy choice for something else.
What yummy toppings will you add to your Breakfast Hash Brown Pizza?
You can also subscribe to Slimming Eats to keep up to date on all new recipes.
IF YOU TRY THIS RECIPE, LET US KNOW! LEAVE A COMMENT, RATE IT AND TAG US IN YOUR PHOTOS @SLIMMINGEATS ON INSTAGRAM
- 250g/9oz potato (floury potato)
- 1 egg
- chopped red pepper,
- chopped green pepper
- chopped red onion
- 1 spring onion, sliced
- 2 slices of lean bacon, chopped
- 10g of cheddar
- salt and pepper
- 3 tbs of passata (crushed tomatoes
- ½ tbs of tomato puree
- pinch of garlic powder
- pinch of onion powder
- Cooking oil spray
- Peel potatoes (cut in half if large)
- Add to a saucepan and just cover with water.
- Bring to a bubbling boil, then take off heat, and leave in the hot water for 5 mins
- Run under a cold tap to cool down. Pat completely dry.
- Preheat oven to 200c or 400f
- Grate the potato, and season with salt
- Place on a clean kitchen towel and blot just to remove any excess moisture.
- Line a baking tray with parchment paper
- Add the grated potato and flatten into a round and press down firmly to get the potato to form together.
- Spray over the top with spray oil
- Place in the oven and bake for approx 30 mins until nice and golden.
- When hash brown base is almost cooked.
- Spray a frying pan with cooking oil spray add the bacon, onion and peppers and cook for about 3-4 mins.
- Mix the passata, tomato paste, onion and garlic powder together.
- Spray this over the cooked hash brown base.
- Sprinkle the outside of the hash brown (leaving a small clear circle in the middle with the peppers and onion.
- Crack the egg into the centre and top with the grated cheese.
- Place back in the oven until eggs is cooked to your liking and cheese is melted (approx 7 minutes)
- Season with salt and black pepper
Please see below for full nutritional info and additional details about recipe:
- Calories - scroll down to nutritional info box
- WW Points and other Slimming or Weight Loss programs - due to plans regularly changing and updating, we recommend calculating with the official tools you get as a member to those plans to ensure accuracy of values.
If you wish to share this recipe, then please do so by using the share buttons provided at top of this post.
DO NOT COPY AND/OR PASTE FULL RECIPES OR SCREENSHOTS OF ANY CONTENT FROM SLIMMING EATS TO ANY SOCIAL MEDIA OR WEBSITE, IT IS STRICTLY PROHIBITED.
ALL IMAGES AND CONTENT ON SLIMMING EATS ARE COPYRIGHT PROTECTED
Nutritional information etc are an estimate and are to be used for informational purposes only. Ingredients can vary in values from brand to brand and therefore it would be impossible to give accurate information. It is always advised that you calculate values yourself by the ingredients you use and the tools provided to you as a member of the programme you are following.
It is the responsibility of the Reader to assure the products or ingredients they use in any recipes from Slimming Eats are allergen-free (gluten-free, egg-free, soy-free and/or dairy-free, for example). Slimming Eats assumes no liability for inaccuracies or misstatement about products, opinions or comments on this site.
Nutrition InformationYield 1 Serving Size 1 pizza
Amount Per Serving Calories 413Total Fat 12.3gSaturated Fat 5.3gCholesterol 196mgSodium 1013mgCarbohydrates 47.8gFiber 7.4gSugar 5.6gProtein 29.2g