One Pot Cuban Style Rice (with Chicken and Sausage) – this delicious one-pot recipe with spicy seasonings, fresh vegetables and black beans is a perfect meal for any night of the week.
Living this side of the Atlantic in Ontario, Canada and close to the USA means I have access to all kind of amazing food, some items I had not even heard or tried before.
Cuban Style Rice (Arroz Congri or a few other different names) is definitely one of those things I hadn’t tried until I moved here. It’s a traditional Cuban dish of white rice and beans with some unique seasonings for flavour. My take on this dish and probably not very traditional really, add a few extras like chicken thighs and sausage to make it a complete one-pot meal.
While I use chicken and a low synned sausage in my recipe, it is so versatile that you really use any kind of meat of choice, like just chicken, ground meats (mince) or pork etc and if you are vegetarian then add some extra veggies instead or a meat replacement that you think will work well. Use a stock that compliments the protein you use, so for example if you use beef, swap the chicken stock for beef stock and so on.
I recommend cooking this in a deep frying pan with a lid, as there needs to be enough room for all the ingredients in the pan to cook and the lid is a vital part of the cooking steps, as we kind of steam the rice after all the stock is absorbed to create perfectly cooked rice.
This is a great dish for freezing up to, just make sure you follow health guidelines on how to store cooked rice safely. To heat up from frozen you can just add to a deep frying pan with a little stock and simmer until cooked through. Perfect!!
Love one pot recipes? Check out some of these that you might fancy too:
- CREAMY ONE POT PORK PASTA
- BEEF STROGANOFF PASTA
- ONE POT BEEF FAJITA PASTA
- NEW ORLEANS CAJUN PASTA
- CHEESEBURGER PASTA
- LEMON GARLIC CHICKEN RICE
- SAUSAGE AND LENTIL CASSEROLE
- MARMITE MACARONI AND CHEESE
- CAMPFIRE STEW
- NANDO’S PERI PERI RICE
or head on over to my Full Recipe Index with over 850 delicious Slimming World and Weight Watchers recipes all fully searchable by meal type, ingredients, syn value and smart points etc.
How can I add a 1/3 speed foods to this One Pot Cuban Style Rice?
Speed foods (healthy vegetables) are recommended (but not compulsory) as part of your meal, as they reduce the portions of your other free foods and so will boost your weight loss while keeping you well satiated. Check out my benefit of speed foods for more information on how they work.
With that in mind, you can totally enjoy this just as it is, but if you do want to add in some speed foods to make this more filling this would be great with some greens of choice, some suggestions are:
- Steamed Tenderstem Broccoli
- Sauteed or roasted Courgette (Zucchini)
- Sauteed Kale or Spinach
- Grilled or Roasted Asparagus
or even a mixed salad would pair well with this too. Choose from all kinds of yummy salad ingredients.
Kitchen Items used in this One Pot Cuban Style Rice:
- Measuring Scales
- Chopping Board
- Measuring spoons
- Santoku Knife
- Le Creuset Cast Iron Casserole or use a Deep Frying Pan with lid
- Measuring Cups or jug
- Wooden Spoon
You can also subscribe to Slimming Eats so that you never miss any new updates.
IF YOU TRY THIS RECIPE, LET US KNOW! LEAVE A COMMENT, RATE IT AND TAG US IN YOUR PHOTOS @SLIMMINGEATS ON INSTAGRAM
See the handy Pinterest image below if you wish to pin this for later 🙂
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 200g (7oz) of boneless skinless chicken thigh
- 2 chicken sausages, sliced (or can double the chicken thigh amount above) - 4 syns
- 1 green pepper, sliced into small strips
- 1 red pepper, sliced into small strips
- 1 small carrot, diced
- 1 cup (180g) of long grain white rice
- 1/3 cup (80ml) of passata (or crushed tomatoes)
- 300g (10.5oz) of black beans (canned/drained)
- 180ml (3/4 cup) of orange juice - 4 syns
- 1.5 cups (360ml) of chicken stock
- avocado cooking oil spray
- salt and black pepper
- chopped fresh coriander
- fresh lime wedges
for the spice mix:
- 1.5 tsp of cumin
- 1.5 tsp of paprika
- 1.5 teaspoons chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp of oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon of cayenne pepper (can add more or less depending on your preferred spice level)
- Add all the ingredients for the spice mix to a bowl and mix to combine
- Spray a frying pan over a medium high heat with cooking oil spray.
- Add the onion and a pinch of salt
- Fry until golden and softened, add in a little water at a time to prevent onion from burning or sticking.
- Add in the garlic, chicken and sausage and continue to fry until browned.
- Add in the spice mix, and rice and stir to coat.
- Add in the peppers, carrot, black beans passata, orange juice and stock, bring to a boil, then simmer until stock is almost absorbed.
- Turn off heat, add lid and leave covered for 10-12 minutes (the steam trapped underneath will continue to cook the rice to perfection)
- Season as needed with salt and black pepper, sprinkle with fresh chopped coriandr and serve with fresh lime wedges, for squeeze a little lime juice over the top of your serving.
This recipe is gluten free, dairy free, Slimming World and Weight Watchers friendly
- Slimming World - 2 syns per sausage
- WW Flex/Freestyle Smart Points - 8 per serving
- Gluten Free - use a gluten free sausage (or double chicken thigh) and stock
*suitable for freezing
syn value in sausages can vary, so calculate correctly by whichever one you us, or if you prefer you can double up the chicken thigh or use another protein of choice.
If you wish to share this recipe, then please do so by using the share buttons provided.
Do not screenshot or post recipe or content in full.
Nutritional information is an estimate and is to be used for informational purposes only. Ingredients can vary greatly from brand to brand and therefore it would be impossible to give accurate information.
All images and content on Slimming Eats are copyright protected.
- ProCook Professional Anodised Non-Stick Saute Pan with Lid | 28cm | 4.2L | Induction Pan with Toughened Glass Lid and Contoured Heat-Resistant Cooltouch Handles
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Serving Size1 SERVING
Amount Per ServingCalories 432 Total Fat 7.5g Saturated Fat 2.5g Cholesterol 61mg Sodium 763mg Carbohydrates 64.7g Fiber 8.7g Sugar 9.6g Protein 27.7g
It is the responsibility of the Reader to assure the products or ingredients they use in any recipes from Slimming Eats are allergen-free (gluten-free, egg-free and/or dairy-free, for example) or Vegetarian friendly. Slimming Eats assumes no liability for inaccuracies or misstatement about products, opinions or comments on this site.
Nutritional information is an estimate and is to be used for informational purposes only
Looking for some additional support on your weight loss journey? Did you know Slimming Eats has a friendly Slimming World Facebook Support Group where you can get daily meal ideas and recipe ideas? Come and check us out, we’d love to have you join.
Looking for some other recipes? Head on over to my RECIPE INDEX for over 850 Slimming World & Weight Watchers recipes for you to browse through, all fully searchable by meal type, Ingredients, syn value and WW Smart Points etc
DID YOU ? I'D TO SEE IT!THIS
Snap a photo and hashtag #slimmingeats or tag me @slimmingeats on INSTAGRAM
Are you on facebook? Then be sure to come and like me on FACEBOOK
All images and content on Slimming Eats are copyright protected.
If you wish to share this recipe, then please do so by using the share buttons provided. Do not screenshot or post recipe or content in full.