Braised Beef is one of my favourite dishes ever, it is really wholesome and filling. I wanted to create a Slimming World version that does not disappoint with flavor and I think this one is a winner.
This dish also works well cooked in a slow cooker.
This recipe is gluten free, dairyfree, Whole30, paleo, Slimming World (SP) and Weight Watchers friendly
Slimming Eats Recipe
Extra Easy – 0.5 syns per serving
Original/SP – 0.5 syns per serving (serve with cauli mash)
Whole30/Paleo – serve with cauliflower or sweet potato mash
- 800g (28oz) of braising steak/beef (all visible fat removed)
- 1 large red onion (halved and sliced)
- 2 cloves of garlic (crushed and chopped finely)
- 2 large carrots (sliced)
- 2 tablespoons of tomato paste
- 2.5 cups of beef stock
- couple of sprigs of fresh thyme (or use a sprinkle of dried if you have not got fresh to hand)
- a splash of balsamic vinegar
- Spray oil
- 1 tablespoon of tapioca starch (1.5 syns) - *can substitute with cornstarch or arrowroot powder
- salt and pepper to season
- Spray a large pot with spray oil, place over a medium high heat, brown the beef and then set aside.
- Reduce the heat slightly and add onion, garlic and carrot and cook for approx 5 mins until softened (you may need to add a little water to the pan if it starts to stick)
- Add the stock, and splash of balsamic vinegar. Mix the starch of choice with a little cold water into a paste and add this into the stock.
- Return the meat to the casserole dish and add the thyme and tomato paste
- Bring to the boil and then cover and simmer for approx 1.5-2 hours until meat is tender and sauce has thickened. Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve with your choice of vegetables and potatoes or cauliflower mash for a original/SP day