Sweet Potato and Mushroom Curry - a simple delicious vegetable curry all ready in less than 30 minutes.
Sweet Potato and Mushroom Vegan Curry
Gotta love a simple vegetable curry and this delicious Sweet Potato and Mushroom Curry can be cooked stovetop or in an Instant Pot if you want to save even more time.
It is a perfect vegetable curry made with curry powder, the natural sweetness from Sweet Potato and all finished off with the creaminess of a little bit of coconut milk. It's so yummy even the meat-eaters will enjoy this dish.
Instant Pot Sweet Potato and Mushroom Curry
You may be wondering, What is an Instant Pot? An Instant Pot (Pressure Cooker) is a 7in1 cooker, that slow cooks, pressure cooks, sautes and has settings for soup, chilli, rice, porridge etc. It will literally cook these meatballs in minutes, so perfect for when you need a meal on the table quickly.
(As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.)
Since buying my Instant Pot, I use it on a regular basis, it’s not one of those gadgets that sit in my cupboard forgotten. In fact, it never goes away.
Instant Pot is a brand of an electric pressure cooker, but there are various other brands and options out there.
Can I use light coconut milk?
If you want to save a few more syns then feel free to swap the full-fat canned coconut for light. I prefer full fat as it is much more creamy and when you are dividing this curry recipe up into servings it really isn't too many syns or points.
I don’t recommend using the coconut milk that comes in a carton, as it has a very high water content and will just be too runny and not pack enough flavour.
Types of Curry Powder
It really depends on your spice level as to what curry powder you choose to use. I always go for medium heat, but if you prefer hot or mild then make the swap to what you prefer.
There are various different brands out there too, I usually buy mine in bulk from the grocery store in a bag, as I use it often and the little jars of spices don’t last 5 seconds in my house.
Sides for Sweet Potato and Mushroom Curry
I simply like to go for some plain basmati rice alongside this curry with some baby spinach. If you are not keen on raw spinach, feel free to stir it through the curry or enjoy it just as it is with rice.
If you want more flavoursome sides these are great options:
or if you are trying to be healthy, these low carb cauliflower rice recipes are delicious.
More Vegan-Friendly Curry Recipes
Love curry recipes? Check out these other vegan-friendly recipes.
- COCONUT VEGETABLE CURRY (VEGAN)
- KIDNEY BEAN CURRY (RAJMA)
- 4 INGREDIENT QUICK LENTIL CURRY (INSTANT POT)
- AUBERGINE, COURGETTE, SWEET POTATO AND LENTIL CURRY
- BUTTERNUT SQUASH CHICKPEA CURRY (VEGAN)
- LENTIL CURRY (INSTANT POT AND STOVE TOP RECIPE)
or head on over to my Full Recipe Index with over 900 delicious Slimming World and Weight Watchers friendly recipes all fully searchable by meal type, ingredients, syn value and smart points etc
You can also subscribe to Slimming Eats so that you never miss any new updates.
IF YOU TRY THIS RECIPE, LET US KNOW! LEAVE A COMMENT, RATE IT AND TAG US IN YOUR PHOTOS @SLIMMINGEATS ON INSTAGRAM
See the handy Pinterest image below if you wish to pin this for later 😊
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic,
- 1 tablespoon of grated ginger root
- ½ cup (120ml) of passata, (use ¾ cup (180ml) for stove top)
- 450g sweet potato, peeled and diced
- 200g chestnut/cremini mushrooms, quartered
- 2 tablespoons of medium curry powder
- ¾ cup (180ml) of vegetable stock (use 1 cup (240ml) for stove top).
- ½ cup (120ml) of coconut milk, season
- cooking oil spray (I used avocado oil spray)
- sea salt to season
- fresh coriander, chopped (optional)
- Set Instant Pot to saute mode, once it displays hot, spray with cooking oil spray.
- Add the onion and mushrooms with a pinch of sea salt and fry for a few minutes until lightly browned
- Add in the ginger, garlic and curry powder and fry for an additional minute (add in a little water if it sticks)
- Add the passata, stock and sweet potato, add lid, close valve (if not self sealing) and set Instant Pot to cook for 5 minutes (high pressure).
- Once it finished cooking, open the valve to a do a quick release of the pressure.
- Set instant pot to saute mode and stir in the coconut milk until all combined and heated through.
- Taste and season with salt as needed, and sprinkle with chopped coriander.
- Serve and Enjoy!!
- Spray a deep frying pan over a medium high heat with cooking all spray, add the onion and mushroom with a pinch of sea salt and fry for a few minutes until lightly browned.
- Add in the garlic, ginger and curry powder and fry for an additional minute (add in a little drop of water to prevent sticking if needed).
- Add in the passata, stock and sweet potato, bring to a boil and then simmer for 20 minutes until the sweet potato has softened.
- Stir through the coconut milk until all combined.
- Taste and season with salt as needed and sprinkle with chopped coriander.
- Serve and enjoy!!
This recipe is gluten free, dairy free, Vegetarian (Vegan), paleo (Whole30), Slimming World and Weight Watchers friendly.
- Slimming World - 2 syns per serving
- WW Green Smart Points - 7 per serving
- WW Blue Smart Points - 7 per serving
- WW Purple Smart Points - 3 per serving
- Gluten Free - use gluten free stock
- Paleo (Whole30) - serve with cauliflower rice
SUITABLE FOR FREEZING
If you wish to share this recipe, then please do so by using the share buttons provided.
DO NOT COPY AND/OR PASTE FULL RECIPES OR SCREENSHOTS OF ANY CONTENT FROM SLIMMING EATS TO ANY SOCIAL MEDIA, IT IS STRICTLY PROHIBITED.
ALL IMAGES AND CONTENT ON SLIMMING EATS ARE COPYRIGHT PROTECTED.
Nutritional information, syn values, points etc are an estimate and is to be used for informational purposes only. Ingredients can vary greatly from brand to brand and therefore it would be impossible to give accurate information. It is always advised that you calculate by the ingredients you use.
It is the responsibility of the Reader to assure the products or ingredients they use in any recipes from Slimming Eats are allergen-free (gluten-free, egg-free, soy-free and/or dairy-free, for example). Slimming Eats assumes no liability for inaccuracies or misstatement about products, opinions or comments on this site.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Santoku Knife-MAD SHARK Pro Kitchen Knife 7 Inch Santoku Knife,Best Quality German High Carbon Stainless Steel Knife with Ergonomic Handle,Ultra Sharp,Best Choice for Home Kitchen and Restaurant
TOMORAL Measuring Cups and Spoons Set of 13, Durable 304 Stainless Steel 5 Measuring Cups and 5 Measuring Spoons with 2 O Rings and Magnetic Measurement Conversion Chart
ProCook Professional Anodised Non-Stick Saute Pan with Lid - 28cm - 4.2L - Induction Pan with Toughened Glass Lid and Heat-Resistant Handles
Instant Pot Duo V2 7-in-1 Electric Pressure Cooker, 6 Qt, 5.5L 1000 W, Brushed Stainless Steel/Black, 220-240v, Stainless Steel Inner Pot
Nutrition InformationYield 4 Serving Size 1 SERVING
Amount Per Serving Calories 192Total Fat 5.1gSaturated Fat 3.1gSodium 300mgCarbohydrates 33.8gFiber 6.6gSugar 9.4gProtein 5.2g