Syn Free Ricotta Spinach Topped Chicken is the ultimate family meal. Tender Chicken breasts over a rich tomato sauce topped with garlicky ricotta and spinach. Yum!!
Remember the Ricotta and Spinach Stuffed Pasta recipe I shared a little while back? Oh my, have you all been loving that. We have too. It's packed with flavour and a perfect meat-free Monday meal.
But for those of you who can't do without that nice piece of protein on your plate, then this Syn Free Ricotta Spinach Topped Chicken is the perfect dish for you.
Seriously, what is not to like? Every component goes beautifully together, I could literally eat this every week, it's so good.
It was kind of a genius moment as I was having a really good week on plan, trying to keep my meals as Slimming World SP friendly as possible when I had this huge craving for my Ricotta and Spinach Stuffed Pasta. Thinking of other ways I could get my fix, I figured hey it's good in pasta why can't it be equally as good on chicken? and I was right, who needs pasta? when you can have Syn Free Ricotta Spinach Topped Chicken.
Although if you really can't do without some pasta, feel free to add some on the side, or syn free chips or rice, or whatever else you fancy really.
Love ricotta dishes? Check out some of my other recipes:
- Syn Free Stuffed Eggplant with Beef and Ricotta
- Syn Free Baked Garlic Mushroom and Ricotta Pasta
- Roasted Butternut Squash Ricotta Lasagne
or head on over to my FULL RECIPE INDEX with over 850+ delicious Slimming World Recipes all fully searchable by meal type, ingredient, syn value etc.
Looking for some additional support on your weight loss journey? Did you know Slimming Eats has a friendly Slimming World Facebook Support Group where you can get daily meal ideas and recipe ideas? Come and check us out, we’d love to have you join.
How can I add a ⅓ speed foods to this Ricotta Spinach Topped Chicken?
I paired mine up with a simple mixed salad of baby greens, cucumber, beetroot. But there are heaps of different speed vegetables that would go perfectly with this dish.
some other suggestions are:
- Sour Cream and Spring Onion Cauliflower Mash
- Roasted Cauliflower Rice
- Roasted Butternut Squash Cauliflower Rice
- Butternut Squash Fries
- Roasted Butternut Squash with Paprika
What kitchen items do I need to make this Ricotta Spinach Topped Chicken?
- Shallow Casserole dish or oven proof dish
- Kitchen Scales
- Measuring Jug
- Measuring Spoons
- Wooden Spoon
- Santoku Knife (perfect knife for chopping veg)
- Chopping Board
- Frying Pan
You can also subscribe to Slimming Eats so that you never miss any new updates.
IF YOU TRY THIS RECIPE, LET US KNOW! LEAVE A COMMENT, RATE IT AND TAG US IN YOUR PHOTOS @SLIMMINGEATS ON INSTAGRAM
See the handy Pinterest image below if you wish to pin this for later 🙂
- 4 Skinless/Boneless Chicken Breasts, raw (approx 160g/5.6oz per breast)
- salt and black pepper
- cooking oil spray
for the tomato sauce
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 clove of garlic, crushed
- pinch of mixed Italian herbs
- 1 cup (240ml) of crushed tomatoes (or passata)
- 1 tbs of tomato paste
- 1 cup (240ml) of chicken stock
for the ricotta and spinach
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 3 large handfuls of spinach, roughly chopped
- 270g/9.5oz of ricotta - 3 HEa's
- 15g of parmesan - ½ HEa
- 25g of mozzarella - ½ HEa
- 1 egg
- Place the chicken breast on a chopped board, cover with cling film, and flatten down with a meat mallet/tenderizer, season both sides with salt and black pepper.
- Spray a frying pan over a medium high heat with some cooking oil spray, once hot, add the chicken and brown till lightly golden on both sides. Remove and set aside.
For the tomato sauce:
- Spray the pan with some more cooking oil spray, add the onion and garlic and fry for a few minutes to soften.
- Add the crushed tomatoes, mixed herbs, tomato paste and stock, bring to a boil and reduce heat and simmer until the sauce reduces down and thickens.
- Add this to an oven proof dish and spray all across the bottom. Then place in the chicken breast.
For the ricotta spinach:
- Wipe the frying pan clean and spray with some more cooking oil spray.
- Add the spinach and garlic and fry until the spinach just starts to wilt.
- Remove from heat, add in the ricotta until all combined and then stir in the egg.
- Spoon this over the top of the chicken.
- Crumble the parmesan and mozzarella together and loosely scatter over the top.
- Preheat oven to 180c/350f
- Cover over the dish with foil and bake for about 20 mins, remove foil then continue to bake for another 10-15 mins, until the cheese on top has all melted and is lightly golden and chicken is cooked through.
- Serve and enjoy!!
This recipe is gluten free, Slimming World and Weight Watchers friendly
Extra Easy - 1 HEa per serving
Original/SP - 1 HEa per serving
WW Smart Points - 6 per serving
*suitable for freezing
If you wish to share this recipe, then please do so by using the share buttons provided. Do not screenshot or post recipe or content in full.
Nutritional information is an estimate and is to be used for informational purposes only. Ingredients can vary greatly from brand to brand and therefore it would be impossible to give accurate information.
All images and content on Slimming Eats are copyright protected.
Nutrition InformationYield 4 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 385Total Fat 12.7gSaturated Fat 7.6gCholesterol 88mgSodium 497mgCarbohydrates 12.4gFiber 2.3gSugar 5.1gProtein 53.3g