Parmesan Sweet Potato Fries with Ranch Dressing - delicious parmesan coated sweet potato fries served with a light ranch dressing made with Greek Yoghurt.
Sharing Plates of Food
The summer holidays have started, kids are at home and they are probably going to eat us out of house and home. Seriously during the summer holidays, their appetites are crazy. I can't keep up with the amount of food they go through.
One thing my daughter loves is sharing plates of food, she will often ask if we can share a meal and I always obliged because it encourages her to eat things she might not normally even try. She loves watching or helping me cook too.
Actually I remember a very funny scene when she must have been about 2. I had just cooked her breakfast, she is very much a breakfast kind of girl and loves her eggs. I served it up on the table and instead of digging in to eat it, she walked over to her toy box, got out her toy camera and took it back to the table and started photographing her meal, it was such a hilarious sight and very very obvious who she was imitating.
Occasionally that picture pops up on my "on this day" posts on Facebook and I can't help but have a good ole chuckle.
Parmesan Herb Sweet Potato Fries
Today for lunch I had a serious craving for sweet potato fries. A good ole plate of sweet potato fries - but not just any ole plate, I was taking it one step further with these amazingly delicious Parmesan Sweet Potato Fries with Ranch Dressing served with a delicious mixed crisp salad.
Usually, I have fries as a side, but in this recipe, they are the main part of the dish. Perfect for lunch or dinner.
The Perfect Sweet Potato Fries
Perfecting sweet potato fries is easy once you get the hang of it. The key is to ensure you use a big enough tray so that they can easily be spread out, not to close together, otherwise, they steam and will just go soggy and the perfect sweet potato fries should be lovely and golden.
Good seasoning is key too, but one thing I never add until the very end is sea salt. I just find if you add salt at the beginning they just don't cook the same. Plus with the added parmesan in the recipe, you actually need very little salt anyway.
Another tip is to use parchment paper. There is nothing worse than cooking perfect sweet potato fries, only to find they are stuck to the tray that was supposed to be non-stick. Parchment paper will protect your tray and make them easier to flip halfway through cooking.
For the sweet potato fries shape, try to choose a large sweet potato. I sliced off a little bit on each end, peeled and then sliced into thin long fries (frites). This kind of shape is perfect for getting them nice and crispy. You can even leave the skin on if you prefer.
Substitutes for Parmesan?
Don't like the flavour of parmesan or maybe you are vegetarian?
Just swap the parmesan out for a mature cheddar or even Red Leicester cheese, you want a cheese that will melt well and create a lovely golden coating on the fries, but one that also has flavour.
I don't recommend mozzarella as a replacement as it's a rather mild-tasting cheese.
Healthier Ranch Dressing
Ranch dressing or dips are really popular here in Canada and the USA, and it pairs perfectly with the cheesy coating of the fries and the fresh crisp salad.
Traditional ranch dressing uses mayonnaise, sour cream, buttermilk and seasoning, the former all being quite calorific if you are trying to watch what you eat.
So instead I replace those ingredients with Greek Yoghurt and 2% milk and it works really well, you get the yummy flavour of Ranch dressing but much less calories.
Sides for Parmesan Herb Fries
Wondering what kind of salad to serve with these parmesan fries? Here is what I serve with mine.
- Crisp Shredded Romain Lettuce (Iceberg lettuce is good too)
- Sliced Raw Shredded Red Cabbage
- Julienned Carrots
I just love the crispness of those fresh vegetables with the ranch dressing and fries, it pairs really well.
But really you can add any salad sides you like or serve these Parmesan Sweet Potato Fries as a side to the main dish.
More Sweet Potato Recipes
Love sweet potato and wondering what else you can make? Check out these recipes.
- AIR FRYER PIZZA SWEET POTATO SLICES
- BEEF AND SWEET POTATO STEW
- PORK AND SWEET POTATO MEATBALLS
- COCONUT CHICKEN AND SWEET POTATO CURRY (INSTANT POT AND STOVE TOP)
- SPICY ROASTED PARSNIP AND SWEET POTATO SOUP
- BEEF AND SWEET POTATO MEATLOAF
- SWEET POTATO AND MUSHROOM CURRY
- SWEET POTATO FLATBREAD
- ROASTED SWEET POTATO HUMMUS
- TUNA AND SWEET POTATO PATTIES
or head on over to my Full Recipe Index with over 900 delicious Slimming Eats and Weight Watchers friendly recipes all fully searchable by meal type, ingredients etc
This recipe was originally created on the 15 July 2017 and updated on 6 July 2020
You can also subscribe to Slimming Eats so that you never miss any new updates.
Need extra Support? Come check out my amazing Facebook Support Group
IF YOU TRY THIS RECIPE, LET US KNOW! LEAVE A COMMENT, RATE IT AND TAG US IN YOUR PHOTOS @SLIMMINGEATS ON INSTAGRAM
For the Ranch Dressing:
- ½ cup (120ml) of fat-free plain Greek Yoghurt
- juice of half a small lemon
- ¼ teaspoon of garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon of onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon of dried dill
- ½ tablespoon of maple syrup (can swap for sweetener if you prefer)
- 1 tablespoon of 2 % milk (semi-skimmed)
For the Parmesan Sweet potato Fries
- 600g (21oz) of sweet potato, peeled and sliced thinly into long fries
- 1 teaspoon of paprika
- ½ teaspoon of Mexican chilli (chili) powder or a pinch of cayenne if you like spicy
- ½ teaspoon of dried parsley
- 30g (1oz) of parmesan, grated
- 1 large egg white
- cooking oil spray (I used avocado)
- ¼ teaspoon of sea salt
- Preheat oven to 200c, fan 180c, 400f or gas mark 6
- Add ingredients for ranch dressing to a bowl and mix to combine, set aside.
- In a large bowl whisk together the egg, parmesan, paprika and chilli powder
- Add the sweet potato and dried parsley and toss to coat
- Spray with cooking oil spray and toss again.
- Spread out on a large baking tray lined with parchment paper
- Spray over the top with more cooking oil spray
- Place in the oven and bake for approx 30-40mins, turning half way through, cook until golden.
- Season as need with the sea salt and serve drizzled with the ranch dressing or you can serve on the side as a dip.
- Dig in and enjoy!!
Please see below for full nutritional info and additional details about recipe:
- Calories - scroll down to nutritional info box
- WW Points and other Slimming or Weight Loss programs - due to plans regularly changing and updating, we recommend calculating with the official tools you get as a member to those plans to ensure accuracy of values.
If you wish to share this recipe, then please do so by using the share buttons provided at top of this post.
DO NOT COPY AND/OR PASTE FULL RECIPES OR SCREENSHOTS OF ANY CONTENT FROM SLIMMING EATS TO ANY SOCIAL MEDIA OR WEBSITE, IT IS STRICTLY PROHIBITED.
ALL IMAGES AND CONTENT ON SLIMMING EATS ARE COPYRIGHT PROTECTED
Nutritional information etc are an estimate and are to be used for informational purposes only. Ingredients can vary in values from brand to brand and therefore it would be impossible to give accurate information. It is always advised that you calculate values yourself by the ingredients you use and the tools provided to you as a member of the programme you are following.
It is the responsibility of the Reader to assure the products or ingredients they use in any recipes from Slimming Eats are allergen-free (gluten-free, egg-free, soy-free and/or dairy-free, for example). Slimming Eats assumes no liability for inaccuracies or misstatement about products, opinions or comments on this site.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Santoku Knife-MAD SHARK Pro Kitchen Knife 7 Inch Santoku Knife,Best Quality German High Carbon Stainless Steel Knife with Ergonomic Handle,Ultra Sharp,Best Choice for Home Kitchen and Restaurant
TOMORAL Measuring Cups and Spoons
ZeZaZu Parchment Paper Sheets for Baking (100 Sheets), Precut 12 x 16 inches - Exact Fit for Half-Sheet Baking Pans, Unbleached, Dual-Sided Coating, Siliconized, Non-Stick, RECLOSABLE Pack
Baking Tray Set of 4, HaWare Stainless Steel Baking Sheet –Rimmed Pan Baking Sets -Healthy & Non Toxic, Easy Clean & Dishwasher Safe (Large Size)
Nutrition InformationYield 2 Serving Size 1 serving
Amount Per Serving Calories 384Total Fat 5gSaturated Fat 3gCholesterol 11.9mgSodium 588mgCarbohydrates 66.4gFiber 9gSugar 17.8gProtein 19.1g