Delicious Paprika Chicken with Roasted Butternut Squash and Linguine - One of the best Syn Free pasta dishes you will taste!!
Okay, okay, I know I might be slightly biased when I say that, but seriously trust me. It's really good. I mean like REALLY good.
It's creamy, it's chicken and it's pasta, what more could one want?
This is actually a real oldie from the blog, one that I recently revisited because it popped into my head when I spotted a box of linguine in my pantry and really felt the photo that was originally on this recipe needed to be updated because it just didn't do it justice and show it in its full deliciousness.
Can you believe I first started this blog in 2009? that's so many years ago now. My blog started as somewhere to record my food diary and keep me motivated while on my weight loss journey, as living overseas my options were limited. I started to share my recipes and reader's started to make them and love them and eventually it grew into what it is today.
The support I have from you my readers is absolutely amazing and I can't thank you enough for sticking with me.
All the while you keep on supporting and enjoying my recipes, I plan to keep bringing new ones to the blog.
If you are pretty new to my blog and want to know my full weight loss story. You can read it here on my About page.
Want to get to know me more? I have a fantastic support group on Facebook, where you can along with other lovely and friendly members, discuss my recipes, get meal ideas and support and encouragement on your weight loss journey. We would love to see you there.
Now onto this recipe for Paprika Chicken with Roasted Butternut Squash and Linguine. It was actually an accidental creation. Sometimes those are the best right? I love butternut squash and 9/10 when it's roasted I just have to sprinkle on a little paprika. They are just the perfect combination. It's as though the paprika does something magical, giving it a lovely golden colour as it roasts. Delicious!!
I love butternut squash and 9/10 when it's roasted I just have to sprinkle on a little paprika. They are just the perfect combination. It's as though the paprika does something magical, giving it a lovely golden kind of caramelization as it roasts. Delicious!!
So when I decided on some chicken to go with it, that just had to have some paprika too, along with some onion and garlic of course.
One pasta dish I love is Carbonara, and my Syn Free Spaghetti Carbonara is seriously good, plus there is no yoghurt or quark in sight if you are one of those hater's. Definitely another one to add to your list if you haven't yet tried it.
Many assume that carbonara has some kind of cream added to it, but that flavour comes solely from a mixture of eggs and cheese.
So when thinking of what to use to give this pasta dish that amazing finish, I used a similar technique for this. Adding a little pasta water, parmesan and 1 egg to a bowl and whisk to a creamy sauce and stirring it through right at the end. It coats the pasta making it so silky and delicious. Plus you really do not need much cheese at all. Just 30g in a recipe that serves 4, so if you syn that little bit of cheese in 1 serving, it saves your full Healthy Extra A for elsewhere in the day.
Meaning you can enjoy those extra cups of tea and coffee instead.
What Kitchen Items do I need to make this Paprika Chicken and Roasted Butternut Squash with Linguine?
- Oven Proof Dish
- Non Stick Frying Pan
- Large Saucepan
- Kitchen Scales
- Measuring Cups
- Measuring Spoons
- Wooden Spoon
- Mixing Bowl
- Santoku Knife (perfect knife for chopping veg)
- Chopping Board
- 350g (12.5oz) of chicken thigh, visible fat removed and sliced into pieces
- 400g (14oz) of chopped butternut squash
- 1 onion, halved and sliced
- 3 cloves of garlic crushed
- 250g (9oz) of linguine pasta (can use gluten free)
- 1 egg, leave it to reach room temperature, don’t use it straight from the fridge
- 30g (1oz) of parmesan cheese (half grated and half in shavings) (1xHEa’s)
- 2 tsp paprika
- salt and black pepper
- ½ cup (120ml) of chicken stock
- ¼ cup (60ml) of reserved pasta water
- spray oil
- Fresh parsley
- Preheat the oven to 200c or 400f (gas mark 6). Add the butternut squash to an ovenproof dish, spray with spray oil and add 1 tsp of paprika and mix to coat.
- Place in the oven and roast for approx 30 mins until lightly golden.
- Spray a frying pan with spray oil, add the chicken, onion and garlic, with the remaining paprika and a little salt and black pepper and cook until tender and slightly golden.
- Add the stock, and some fresh parsley and simmer until the chicken is cooked through. Stir in the butternut squash.
- Add the linguine to a saucepan of boiling hot water and cook until al dente.
- Add the egg to a bowl, along with the parmesan.
- Once the pasta is cooked, add to the chicken and mix together.
- Add the reserved pasta water to the egg and parmesan and whisk till a smooth sauce.
- Add this to the pasta, remove from heat and stir through to coat.
- Season with a little more black pepper over the top.
Nutritional information is an estimate and is to be used for informational purposes only.
Ingredients can vary greatly from brand to brand and therefore it would be impossible to give accurate information. Also, double-check syn values of synned ingredients as different brands can vary.
All images and content on Slimming Eats are copyright protected.
If you wish to share this recipe, then please do so by using the share buttons provided. Do not screenshot or post recipe or content in full
Nutrition InformationYield 4 Serving Size 1 serving
Amount Per Serving Calories 439Total Fat 7.2gSaturated Fat 2.9gCholesterol 119mgSodium 480.4mgCarbohydrates 60.4gFiber 4.1gSugar 3.2gProtein 30.4g