One of my favorite sandwiches ever, is a Meatball Marinara – meatballs, marinara sauce and melted mozzarella cheese – HEAVEN!!
When recreating my favorite sandwich I had the idea to make little cups and oh boy were they are success. The crispy toast, topped with a meatball, sauce and cheese was just divine and they are pretty easy to make too.
The lengthy part is the marinara sauce, but if you have some of my MARINARA SAUCE made up in advance (I usually have a batch somewhere in the freezer) then it will cut down on the time.
You can have two of these delicious cups for 1 healthy extra B choice and ½ a healthy extra A choice (or save your healthy extra A and use 3 syns). They would be delicious served with a salad for a light meal, or salad and some PERFECT SYN FREE FRIES for a main meal.
Yummy Meatball Marinara Cups – eat me now!!
Extra Easy – 1 HEb and ½ HEa per serving (2 meatball cups)
Original – 1 HEb and ½ HEa per serving (2 meatball cups)
Weight Watchers Smart Points - 9 (2 meatball cups)
If not using your healthy extra's, these are 5 syns each
- 350g/12.5oz of extra lean ground beef
- salt and black pepper
- pinch of garlic powder
- pinch of onion powder
- approx 1 cup (240ml) of marinara sauce
- 8 regular slices of whole wheat bread (4xHEb')
- 90g/3oz of mozzarella cheese (2xHEa's)
- spray oil
- finely chopped fresh Italian parsley or basil
- Preheat oven to 180c/350f
- Remove crusts from bread, so that each slice weighs 30g/1ozz
- Using a rolling pin, roll over each slice of bread to flatten.
- Spray both sides of bread with spray oil
- Push down into a muffin tray to form bread cups.
- Place in oven and bake for approx 20mins until lightly golden
- Add ground beef, salt, pepper, garlic and onion powder to a bowl and mix well to combine.
- Form into 8 meatballs (they should be about the right size to fit in each bread cup)
- Place on a baking tray, spray over top with spray oil and place in the oven and bake for approx 10-15mins to lightly brown.
- Once bread cups are ready and meatballs lightly browned.
- Add the meatballs to bowl and cover well with marinara sauce.
- Place one meatball with sauce into each toasted bread cup and then top with mozzarella cheese.
- Repeat with all 8 cups.
- Place back in the oven for approx 15 mins, until cheese is melted and golden.
- Top with a little chopped fresh Italian parsley or basil.
- Great served with a salad and my Perfect Syn Free Fries
I ask that you always credit by linking back to my original post and don't reproduce the recipe or content in full. If you wish to share this recipe, then please do so by using the share buttons provided. Do not screenshot and/or post recipe or content in full.
It is the responsibility of the Reader to assure the products or ingredients they use in any recipes from Slimming Eats are allergen-free (gluten-free, egg-free and/or dairy-free, for example) or Vegetarian friendly. Slimming Eats assumes no liability for inaccuracies or misstatement about products, opinions or comments on this site.
Nutritional information is an estimate and is to be used for informational purposes only
Looking for some additional support on your weight loss journey? Did you know Slimming Eats has a friendly Slimming World Facebook Support Group where you can get daily meal ideas and recipe ideas? Come and check us out, we’d love to have you join.
Looking for some other recipes? Head on over to my RECIPE INDEX for over 900 Slimming World & Weight Watchers recipes for you to browse through, all fully searchable by meal type, Ingredients, syn value and WW Smart Points etc
All images and content on Slimming Eats are copyright protected.
If you wish to share this recipe, then please do so by using the share buttons provided. Do not screenshot or post recipe or content in full.