Oven Baked Sweet Potato Hash Browns - Serve up these delicious Sweet Potato Hash Browns for breakfast with some eggs of choice.
Sweet Potato Hash Browns
After the success of my Syn Free Crispy Golden Hash Browns, I wanted to create some Sweet Potato ones. I experimented by trying various different techniques and think this is by far the best result for Oven Baked Sweet Potato Hash Browns.
I already have my Spiralled Sweet Potato Hash which is great for breakfast and it syn free, but when you want more of a Pattie type hash brown, then this is the recipe for you.
The only difficult part to these Sweet Potato Hash Browns, is grating the darn sweet potato (think of that body magic, working those arms lol), but of you want it grated quick then a food processor with a grater attachment is an awesome tool too.
How to bind together Grated Sweet Potato for Hash Browns
To make the Sweet Potato Hash Browns, you need an egg white and a little cornstarch (or arrowroot flour or tapioca starch will work too). Then add your seasoning and form into hash browns.
I like a more rustic look, so just kind of roughly shape on the tray using my hands, but if you want a more perfect circle, you can use something like these egg rings to get the perfect round shape.
Can Sweet Potato Hash Browns be Frozen?
These sweet potato hash browns can also be frozen, I recommend part baking, just to get them to hold together and then allow to cool and freeze, by placing on a tray lined with parchment paper, once frozen, you can then add to a freezer bag or container and then all you have to do is finish off the baking from frozen - nice and easy and perfect for breakfast when you are in a rush.
Do I need Parchment Paper for baking?
For certain thing it's a must. The last thing you want is perfectly cooked sweet potato hash browns only to find they have stuck to the tray and you can't get them off. The parchment paper will make it so easy to flip these and guess what? less mess on your tray, so easy clean up afterwards too.
What to serve with Sweet Potato Hash Browns?
Wondering what to serve with these perfectly golden Sweet Potato Hash Browns? For me it has to be a perfect Sunny Side up Egg, some Avocado and some micro-greens.
Don't be afraid to enjoy some Avocado for breakfast, check out this post here: Avocado on Slimming World. It is super healthy and is easy to fit into any healthy eating regime you are following. It's regularly featured in my breakfasts.
Occasionally I use two of these as a bun for one of these Homemade Pork Sausage Patties and an egg - yummy!!
More Breakfast Recipes
Looking for some other breakfast recipes? Check out these:
- BREAKFAST LAYERED CRUSTLESS QUICHE
- TURKEY BREAKFAST SAUSAGE PATTIES (GLUTEN FREE)
- CHICKPEA, EGG AND KALE TRAY BAKE
- BREAKFAST ROLL BAKES
- THE ULTIMATE ALL DAY BREAKFAST TRAY BAKE
or head on over to my Full Recipe Index with over 900 delicious Slimming World and Weight Watchers friendly recipes all fully searchable by meal type, ingredients, syn value and smart points etc
- 800g (28oz) of grated peeled sweet potato
- 1 large egg white
- 1 tablespoons of cornstarch (or arrowroot or tapioca starch)
- 1 teaspoon of paprika
- ½ teaspoon of onion powder
- sea salt
- cooking oil spray
- Preheat oven to 220c, Fan 200c, 425f or gas mark 7)
- Squeeze any excess liquid from the grated sweet potato.
- Add to a large bowl.
- Whisk together the egg white, cornstarch, paprika, and onion powder.
- Add to the sweet potato and a pinch of sea salt and mix to thoroughly coat.
- Line a baking tray with parchment paper and spray with a mist of cooking oil spray.
- Roughly Form the sweet potato in 8 equal sized rounds, place on the tray and flatten down.
- Spray over the top with cooking oil spray.
- Place in the oven and bake for 15-20 mins, then carefully sliding a spatula underneath, flip the sweet potato hash brown over, sprinkle with a pinch of sea salt and cook for another 15-20 mins until golden on top.
- Serve with your choice of sides for breakfast, lunch or dinner.
This recipe is gluten free, dairy free, vegetarian, paleo, Whole30, Slimming World and Weight Watchers friendly
- Slimming World - 0.5 syns for 2 hash browns
- WW Green Smart Points - 6 per serving (2 hash browns)
- WW Blue Smart Points - 6 per serving (2 hash browns)
- WW Purple Smart Points - 0 per serving (2 hash browns)
- Gluten Free - use a gluten free starch
SUITABLE FOR FREEZING - to freeze, part bake, place on parchment lined tray and freeze. Once frozen you can place in tub or freezer bag.
If you wish to share this recipe, then please do so by using the share buttons provided.
DO NOT COPY AND/OR PASTE FULL RECIPES OR SCREENSHOTS OF ANY CONTENT FROM SLIMMING EATS TO ANY SOCIAL MEDIA, IT IS STRICTLY PROHIBITED.
ALL IMAGES AND CONTENT ON SLIMMING EATS ARE COPYRIGHT PROTECTED.
Nutritional information, syn values, points etc are an estimate and is to be used for informational purposes only. Ingredients can vary greatly from brand to brand and therefore it would be impossible to give accurate information. It is always advised that you calculate by the ingredients you use.
It is the responsibility of the Reader to assure the products or ingredients they use in any recipes from Slimming Eats are allergen-free (gluten-free, egg-free, soy-free and/or dairy-free, for example). Slimming Eats assumes no liability for inaccuracies or misstatement about products, opinions or comments on this site.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
OXO Good Grips Box Grater
Eono by Amazon - Set of Six Stainless Steel Nestling Mixing Bowls (Matte and Mirror Finish) …
Salter Digital Kitchen Weighing Scales
ZeZaZu Parchment Paper Sheets for Baking (100 Sheets), Precut 12 x 16 inches - Exact Fit for Half-Sheet Baking Pans, Unbleached, Dual-Sided Coating, Siliconized, Non-Stick, RECLOSABLE Pack
Baking Tray Set of 4, HaWare Stainless Steel Baking Sheet –Rimmed Pan Baking Sets -Healthy & Non Toxic, Easy Clean & Dishwasher Safe (Large Size)
Nutrition InformationYield 4 Serving Size 2 hash browns
Amount Per Serving Calories 187Total Fat 0.2gSaturated Fat 0gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 4gCholesterol 0mgSodium 559mgCarbohydrates 42.9gFiber 6gSugar 8.5gProtein 4.1g