These delicious low syn mince pies you see right before your eyes are just 1.5 syns per mince pie
You could have several of these and still be under your daily syn allowance, now that should be enough to convince you to make some.
I got the idea for these after making my Christmas 'Mince Pie' Bread Pudding. It worked so well and has been loved by many, that I thought I could easily use the same method for the base of these individual low syn mince pies.
Whole Wheat Bread is a great low syn base option to replace pastry which is high in syns. You will of seen me use it here on these savory dishes such as Egg and Ham in Toast Cups, Marinara Meatball Toast Cups and Philly Cheese Steak Toast Cups.
You can also use other flavourings like a little orange or lemon zest instead of vanilla/cinnamon. Bake the sweet toast cup first once soaked in the egg mixture, to firm up before adding your filling. Perfect for these low syn mince pies, but can also be filled with a variety of other fillings for other little tarts/fruit pies.
For the "pastry" base for these low syn mince pies, I use 4 regular slices of whole wheat bread. When you remove the crust, each slice should weigh 30g, so 4 slices are 2 Healthy Extra B's
I will post the syn value if using these as a healthy extra b choice, or the syn value for just one mince pie, that way it is up to you how you decide to equate these into your day.
To sweeten the eggy mixture for these Low Syn Mince Pies, I use just a little sukrin gold which is a great natural tasting sweetener that is nice and golden just like you expect brown sugar to be. I have tried many different types of sweetener in the past trying to find one that is natural and tastes natural and I think this is it. I usually just use some syns on honey or maple syrup, but it’s nice to know I can now use this and reduce the syns even further. Instead of sukrin you can use any sweetener of choice of course. But I recommend sukrin if you can get some.
Click here if you live in the UK: Sukrin UK
Click here if you live in the USA: Sukrin USA
Serve these delicious Low Syn Mince Pies just as they are, or with some light cream or custard - yum!!
I recommend placing these in the oven for a few mins to warm up if not all eaten on the day they are made.
Extra Easy - 1.5 syns per Mince Pie
Green - 1.5 syns per Mince Pie
WW Smart Points - 1 br]or enjoy 8 mince pies for 1 HEb and 6 syns
- 120g/4oz of crustless wholewheat bread - 12 syns
- 2 eggs
- ½ tsp of vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp of cinnamon
- ⅓ cup of mincemeat - 10 syns
- 1 tbsp of sukrin gold (or other sweetener of choice)
- spray oil
- 5g/1tsp of icing sugar - 1 syn
- Preheat oven to 180c/350f (gas mark 4)
- Slice each slice of bread into 4 squares - so you have 16 squares
- Roll each square flat with a rolling pin
- Whisk together the eggs, cinnamon, vanilla extract and sukrin gold in a bowl
- Add the bread squares to the egg mixture and swirl them around so that they get fully covered and soak up most of the mixture.
- Spray 16 holes of two muffin trays with spray oil
- Add the soaked bread squares and push down
- Place in the oven and bake for 10 mins
- Remove and then add equal amounts of the mincemeat to the bread cases.
- Place back in the oven for another 10 mins until lovely and golden
- Allow to cool slightly and then dust with the icing sugar.
Nutritional information is an estimate and is to be used for informational purposes only
All images and content on Slimming Eats are copyright protected.