One of the first sandwiches I ever ordered on my first trip to America - was a Philly Cheese Steak.
Now imagine fresh baked submarine bread roll , sliced down the middle lengthways, smothered with butter and stuffed with slivers of tender steak, caramelized onions and green peppers and topped with melted provolone cheese.
Sounds delicious, right? But not in the least bit Slimming World friendly.
So I introduce to you my syn free Philly Cheese Steak Toast Cups. These are divine!
I left out the green peppers, as my kids detest them and well I had to stop myself from being tempted into eating more than I should. So only made enough for the whole family. But if everyone in your family will eat green peppers, then definitely add those in, and well if they hate them, perhaps add them in anyway, that way it leaves more for you for leftovers tomorrow.
Stuck for ideas of what to serve alongside these? Then check out my side dishes for inspiration.
- 350g (12.5oz) of thin strip loin beef, sliced
- salt and black pepper
- pinch of garlic powder
- 1 onion finely sliced
- 1 green pepper, finely sliced (optional)
- 8 slices of whole wheat bread
- 120g (4.5oz) of provolone cheese, sliced thinly
- finely chopped Italian parsley, to garnish (optional)
- low calorie spray
- Preheat oven to 160c fan, 180c/350f
- Remove crusts from bread, so that each slice weighs 30g/1oz
- Using a rolling pin, roll over each slice of bread to flatten.
- Spray both sides of bread with spray oil
- Push down into a muffin tray to form 8 bread cups.
- Place in oven and bake for approx 20mins until lightly golden
- Spray a frying pan over a medium high heat with some spray oil.
- Add the onion and peppers and fry till softened
- Add the beef, season well with salt and black pepper and add pinch of garlic powder and fry with the onions and green pepper until lightly browned.
- When the toast cups are firm and lightly golden.
- Spoon beef mixture into the cups and top with provolone cheese
- Place back in the oven for 10 mins until cheese is melted.
- Top with fresh chopped Italian parsley (optional)
This recipe is Slimming World and Weight Watchers friendly
Extra Easy – 1 HEa and 1 HEb per serving
Original – 1 HEa and 1 HEb per serving
All images and content on Slimming Eats are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior consent.
I ask that you always credit by linking back to my original post and don't reproduce the recipe or content in full. If you wish to share this recipe, then please do so by using the share buttons provided. Do not screenshot and/or post recipe or content in full.
Nutrition InformationYield 4 Serving Size 1 SERVING
Amount Per Serving Calories 433Total Fat 15.5gSaturated Fat 7.7gSodium 896mgCarbohydrates 29.4gFiber 5.2gSugar 5.4gProtein 42.5g