Lighter Broccoli Cheddar Soup - a healthier version of this popular creamy style soup, using milk instead of cream with delicious fresh broccoli, potato and cheddar.
Healthy Broccoli Cheddar Soup
I think we can all say we love a creamy soup right? But sometimes it can feel hard to create your favourite creamy soup on the lighter side.
For me I have found a combination of semi skimmed milk, stock and cornstarch to thicken work perfectly, the milk gives that creamy taste and far less calories than cream too.
Can I use skimmed milk?
I prefer to use semi skimmed milk for that creamy taste to soups rather than skimmed. Skimmed tends to be a bit more watery.
However if skimmed is all you buy, then by all means use it, just be aware the the soup may not be quite the same.
Can I use frozen broccoli?
I used fresh broccoli is this recipe, as the overall taste of the soup is a lot more fresh. However if you have some frozen broccoli on hand that you would like to use in the soup, then it should be okay.
I do however recommend cooking for slightly less cooking time.
You don't need a fancy expensive blender to blend this soup, I just use my hand stick blender which was super cheap when I bought it.
If I want a really smooth soup of course my Vitamix is the best, but for soups like this where I just need to roughly blend and keep some of the chunks of the veg, a stick blender is perfect.
Reduced Fat Cheddar
I only buy regular cheese, never been a huge fan of the reduced fat varieties. I find some either don't melt as well or don't have as good a taste.
However if you only buy reduced fat it should be okay, and if you want to use more to the same calories you can do that too.
I don't recommend using pre-grated cheddar though, as it doesn't melt as well due to the starch they add to stop it sticking together in the bag. For best results use a block of cheese that you grate yourself.
Spray Oil instead versus Butter
You will notice I use 1 tablespoon of butter to saute the veg, this adds flavour and depth to the soup, it's a small amount which is not a huge amount of calories when divided into four servings.
If you want to use a spray oil instead, then you can do that, just be aware that you may not get the same flavour.
Sides for Cheddar Broccoli Soup
I tend to enjoy just a bowl of this as it is, as its a really filling bowl of soup, but you could bulk it out with some protein like cooked chicken or even add in some cooked rice to make it more of a meal.
A serving of wholemeal bread or a wholemeal roll on the side is another great option.
More Soup Recipes
Looking for some other soup recipes? Check out these:
- Asparagus and Sweet Potato Soup
- Thai Red Vegetable Soup (Instant Pot or Stove Top)
- Creamy Vegetable Soup
- Butternut Squash Soup with Garlic Herb Croutons
- Creamy Vegan Vegetable Chowder
- Coconut Chicken Rice Soup
- Split Pea and Bacon Soup
- Hearty Vegetable Soup
or if you would like more recipe ideas - head on over to the FULL RECIPE INDEX where you will find over 900 delicious recipes and can search by ingredients, course, diet and more.
All with estimated calories, Slimming World and Weight Watchers Smart Points values.
Come and follow me on:
FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST
TWITTER, TIK TOK and YOUTUBE
You can also subscribe to Slimming Eats
so that you never miss any new updates.
Need some extra Support? Come and check out my Facebook Group
If you try this recipe, let us know!
Leave a Comment, Rate It and Tag us in your
Photos @SLIMMINGEATS on INSTAGRAM
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 small carrot, sliced into thin batons
- 200g (7oz) of potato, peeled and diced
- 400g (14oz) of fresh broccoli florets
- 500ml (16 fl oz) of chicken or vegetable stock
- 500ml (16 fl oz of semi skimmed (2%) milk
- salt and black pepper
- 120g (4.2oz) of cheddar, grated
- 1.5 tablespoons of cornstarch
- heat the butter over a medium high heat
- Add the onion and fry until golden
- Add the carrot and carrot and fry for a further couple of mins
- Add in the potato with a pinch of salt and black pepper and mix to combine.
- Pour in the stock and milk
- Add the broccoli florets
- Bring to a boil, then simmer for 10-12 minutes until veg is tender
- Use a stick blender to roughly blend the soup until smooth.
- Mix the cornstarch with a little water to make a slurry, add this into the soup and continue to simmer until it thickens.
- Add in the cheddar and stir until melted (reserve a little to add to each bowl when serving if you prefer).
- Taste and season with salt and black pepper as needed.
This recipe is Slimming World and Weight Watchers friendly
- Slimming World - 1 HEa and 1 syn per serving
- WW Personal Points - - add ingredients to your WW diary for points value (this will vary depending on your personal points zero foods
- Gluten Free - use gluten free stock
SUITABLE FOR FREEZING
If you wish to share this recipe, then please do so by using the share buttons provided at top of this post.
DO NOT COPY AND/OR PASTE FULL RECIPES OR SCREENSHOTS OF ANY CONTENT FROM SLIMMING EATS TO ANY SOCIAL MEDIA OR WEBSITE, IT IS STRICTLY PROHIBITED.
ALL IMAGES AND CONTENT ON SLIMMING EATS ARE COPYRIGHT PROTECTED.
Nutritional information, Slimming World syn values and WW points etc are an estimate and are to be used for informational purposes only. Ingredients can vary greatly from brand to brand and therefore it would be impossible to give accurate information. It is always advised that you calculate values yourself by the ingredients you use and the tools provided to you as a member of the programme you are following.
It is the responsibility of the Reader to assure the products or ingredients they use in any recipes from Slimming Eats are allergen-free (gluten-free, egg-free, soy-free and/or dairy-free, for example). Slimming Eats assumes no liability for inaccuracies or misstatement about products, opinions or comments on this site.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition InformationYield 6 Serving Size 1 SERVING
Amount Per Serving Calories 210Total Fat 10gSaturated Fat 6gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 7gCholesterol 69mgSodium 460mgCarbohydrates 20gFiber 4gSugar 8gProtein 11g
Nutritional information, syn values, points etc are an estimate and is to be used for informational purposes only. Ingredients can vary greatly from brand to brand and therefore it would be impossible to give accurate information. It is always advised that you calculate by the ingredients you use.