Yummy Creamy Tomato and Orzo Soup
It's probably no surprise that I love making soups.
There are quite a few different soup recipes to be found on here.
I love this one, the rich sweetness of the tomatoes, with the creaminess of coconut milk. I add some orzo to this one to make it more like a meal like and it really was lovely.
A great family meal - kids especially will love this one.
Creamy Tomato and Orzo Soup
Delicious and creamy dairy free tomato and orzo soup - a great recipe for the whole family for lunch or dinner
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 4 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 2 stalks of celery, chopped
- 3 leeks, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon of Italian mixed herbs (mine is a mixture of basil,thyme and fennel)
- 3 cups (720ml) of chopped tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons of tomato paste
- 4 cups (960ml) of chicken or vegetable stock
- 2 cups (480ml) of light coconut milk
- 1 cup (180g) of orzo
- salt and pepper to season
- fresh basil leaves
- low calorie spray
- Spray a deep pot over a medium high heat with some spray oil, add the onion and celery and fry till softened. (you can use a little bit of stock if it starts to stick)
- Add the garlic and leeks and continue to fry till softened.
- Add in the Italian herbs, tomato paste, chopped tomatoes and stock.
- Bring to a boil, then cover and simmer for 25 mins.
- Using a stick blender, roughly blend the soup, (still retaining some chunks of veg)
- Stir in the coconut milk and orzo and simmer for a further 12 mins approx, till orzo is cooked.
- Season as needed with salt and black pepper and garnish with fresh basil.
Please see below for full nutritional info and additional details about recipe:
- Calories - scroll down to nutritional info box
- WW Points and other Slimming or Weight Loss programs - due to plans regularly changing and updating, we recommend calculating with the official tools you get as a member to those plans to ensure accuracy of values.
If you wish to share this recipe, then please do so by using the share buttons provided at top of this post.
DO NOT COPY AND/OR PASTE FULL RECIPES OR SCREENSHOTS OF ANY CONTENT FROM SLIMMING EATS TO ANY SOCIAL MEDIA OR WEBSITE, IT IS STRICTLY PROHIBITED.
ALL IMAGES AND CONTENT ON SLIMMING EATS ARE COPYRIGHT PROTECTED
Nutritional information etc are an estimate and are to be used for informational purposes only. Ingredients can vary in values from brand to brand and therefore it would be impossible to give accurate information. It is always advised that you calculate values yourself by the ingredients you use and the tools provided to you as a member of the programme you are following.
It is the responsibility of the Reader to assure the products or ingredients they use in any recipes from Slimming Eats are allergen-free (gluten-free, egg-free, soy-free and/or dairy-free, for example). Slimming Eats assumes no liability for inaccuracies or misstatement about products, opinions or comments on this site.
Nutrition InformationYield 4 Serving Size 1 SERVING
Amount Per Serving Calories 346Total Fat 9.4gSaturated Fat 6.1gCholesterol 0.0mgSodium 592.4mgCarbohydrates 50.2gFiber 4.8gSugar 6.7gProtein 11g
Super tasty, loved it. Thank you.
Brenda Harley says
I have a problem wth coconut, what can I use instead
Siobhan (Slimming Eats) says
you can use some single cream, same amount.