A delicious dairy free low syn Creamy Mushroom Soup that is packed with flavour.
This time of year I love soups, there is nothing like a bowl of warm comforting soup on a cold winter's day, especially in Canada when some days in the winter can be -20 and I don't even want to leave the house.
I love using coconut milk, it adds a creamy kind of sweetness to dishes and is great in soups like this Creamy Mushroom Soup.
Sometimes I like to add some protein to the top of this. Shredded cooked chicken is great or even my hidden vegetable beef meatballs
As well as being dairy free, this Creamy Mushroom Soup is also gluten free, paleo and Whole30 friendly.
Extra Easy - 2 syns per serving
Green - 2 syns per serving
Original - 2 syns per serving
WW Smart Points - 2
- 400g/14oz of mixed mushrooms (shitake, oyster and cremini)
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- pinch of dried thyme
- 3.5 cups (840ml) of chicken or vegetable stock
- ½ cup (120ml) of light coconut milk - 4 syns
- 1 tablespoon of arrowroot powder (tapioca flour or cornstarch) - 1.5 syns
- salt and black pepper to season
- fresh chopped Italian parsley
- Olive Oil spray
- Spray a large saucepan over a medium high heat with some olive oil spray
- Add the onion and saute till golden and softened
- Stir in the mushrooms and garlic, add a couple of tablespoons of stock and continue to saute, until till the mushrooms start to go lightly golden.
- Add the stock and thyme, bring to a boil and then simmer for approx 20 mins covered.
- Remove half the soup and blend in a blender. Add this back to the pan.
- Then mix the arrowroot powder with a little cold water into a paste, stir this into the soup, along with the coconut milk and gently heat while stirring until it has thickened.
- Serve with a couple of drops of coconut milk and fresh chopped Italian parsley.
All images and content on Slimming Eats are copyright protected.
If you wish to share this recipe, then please do so by using the share buttons provided. Do not screenshot or post recipe or content in full.