A low syn version of one of my favourite Chinese dishes - Beef with Mushrooms in Oyster sauce
I love Chinese food, so coming up with my own low syn versions of some of my favourite choices helps me to stay on plan, as whenever the craving sets in for Chinese food, I have various options to recreate in my own home.
Being able to create your favourite foods in your own home, is important for remaining successful on your weight loss journey. If you feel deprived or that certain foods are off limits, the chances are you won't be able to stick to it long term.
Search for ways you can create the foods you love in a Slimming World friendly way, you might not be able to create an exact version, but with switching out some not so great ingredients for healthier choices, most meals can be adapted.
Chinese Food is a weakness for me, I was introduced to it young because of my father's trade designing wok cookers for Chinese restaurants or takeaways, it meant we frequently ate Chinese food, either at a local restaurant or from takeaways brought home.
Beef with Mushrooms in Oyster Sauce is a dish we would frequently order from the local Chinese along with with the usual egg fried rice and is a firm favourite, so this was a definite one for making Slimming World friendly.
I cook this dish in my non-stick wok as you can cook this perfectly without the need for lots of oil, but a non-stick frying pan will work perfectly too.
For the sauce I use just water with the other ingredients, instead of stock, otherwise, it can become too salty. There is plenty of flavour from the other ingredients in the sauce and the last thing you want is not to be able to taste those flavours.
HOW CAN I ADD A ⅓ SPEED FOODS TO THE BEEF AND MUSHROOMS IN OYSTER SAUCE?
Mushrooms are a speed food, and there are plenty of those in this dish that will count towards your ⅓ speed foods. But some additional stir fried veg of choice (I love bean sprouts) would be a great addition. You could also replace the rice with some Cauliflower Rice
If you want a real authentic fakeaway dish, try serving this Beef and Mushrooms in Oyster Sauce with this delicious egg fried rice
There are also some amazing Chinese dishes, to browse through in my Chinese Fakeaway section.
WHAT KITCHEN ITEMS DO I NEED TO MAKE THE BEEF AND MUSHROOMS IN OYSTER SAUCE?
- Non Stick Frying Pan or wok
- Kitchen Scales
- Measuring Jug
- Measuring Spoons
- Wooden Spoon
- Santoku Knife (perfect knife for chopping veg)
- Chopping Board
- Lidded Container for marinating
You can also subscribe to Slimming Eats to keep up to date on all new recipes.
IF YOU TRY THIS RECIPE, LET US KNOW! LEAVE A COMMENT, RATE IT AND TAG US IN YOUR PHOTOS @SLIMMINGEATS ON INSTAGRAM
Beef with Mushrooms in Oyster Sauce | Slimming World
Yield 3 servings
This recipe is gluten free, dairy free, Slimming World and Weight Watchers friendly
- Extra Easy - 0.5 syns per serving
- Original/SP - 0.5 syns per serving (serve with cauliflower rice or stir fried veg)
- WW Smart Points - 3
- Gluten Free - use gluten free soy sauce and oyster sauce
*suitable for freezing
- 500g/17.50z of thinly sliced beef strips
- 200g/7oz mushrooms, quartered
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 tsp grated fresh ginger
- 3 tbs of oyster sauce
- 1 tbs of soy sauce
- ¾ tbs of sukrin:1 - or another sweetener of choice
- 1 cup (240ml) of water
- 1 tbs of cornstarch - 1.5 syns
- black pepper
- cooking oil
- 2-3 spring onions, finely sliced
- Add the beef, garlic, ginger, soy sauce, sukrin and oyster sauce to a container, stir to mix and marinate overnight (or at least a few hours)
- Spray a wok or frying over a medium high heat with cooking oil spray
- Add the beef and marinade and fry until beef is browned.
- Add mushrooms and fry for a further few mins.
- Mix the cornstarch with a little water to make a slurry (paste)
- Add to the beef with the cup of water and heat until thickened.
- Season with black pepper
- Sprinkle with chopped spring onions
- Serve with your choice of sides.
Don't fancy beef? Swap for chicken or prawns (shrimp)
If you wish to share this recipe, then please do so by using the share buttons provided. Do not screenshot or post recipe or content in full
Nutritional information is an estimate and is to be used for informational purposes only. Ingredients can vary greatly from brand to brand and therefore it would be impossible to give accurate information.
All images and content on Slimming Eats are copyright protected.
Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value
Total Fat 3.8 g
Saturated Fat 1.7 g
Sodium 414 mg
Total Carbohydrates 4.5 g
Dietary Fiber 1.2 g
Sugars 1.6 g
Protein 39.5 g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.