Delicious Slow Cooked Chicken Casserole – such a comforting bowl of food.
Tender pieces of chicken, with speed vegetables such as butternut squash, carrots, zucchini and red pepper come together with a few simple ingredients for an amazing sauce, that will have you wanting to lick your bowl clean.
This Slow Cooked Chicken Casserole is a perfect dish to make in the winter months, super easy to just add all the ingredients to a slow cooker and let it do its magic and then come dinner time, you will have an amazing meal to serve the whole family.
I like to serve this Slow Cooked Chicken Casserole with rice, but it would be great served with a variety of sides such as syn free chips, or rustic garlic and parmesan mash or sweet potato mash, it really is up to you.
If you don’t own a slow cooker, then this can also be cooked in the oven.
This would also be delicious cooked in an instant pot.
If you haven’t heard of an Instant Pot you are seriously missing out. It is the best kitchen gadget I have purchased. I would even put it above my actifry and that’s saying something. I love this thing so much, that I almost use it EVERY.SINGLE.DAY.
It seriously tops every kitchen appliance I have ever bought.
It is basically a 7in1 cooker, and it slow cooks, pressure cooks, saute’s, has settings for soup, chilli, rice, porridge and even makes yoghurt (I haven’t tried that yet).
Check out my other: Instant Pot Recipes
It’s also a perfect dish for batch cooking, add to containers and place in the freezer. I love to have meals like this on hand for busy days.
I love Meal Prep Containers with Lids for freezing portions of meals to grab out of the freezer. You can get different ones too, with 1, 2, 3 or even 4 compartments and most are microwave and dishwasher safe.
The 2 and 3 compartment containers are great for adding your sides to go with the dish, so you have the whole meal ready when you take one out of the freezer. You don’t even need to cook your side. How handy is that? I add rice, or mashed potatoes, or this Roasted Cauliflower Rice, which is a great side for when you want some additional speed foods on your plate. Then, of course, the 3 compartment containers mean you could actually add two different sides or some additional vegetables.
Why not check out my Freezer Friendly section for some delicious Slimming World recipes that are suitable for freezing. Great for if you want to do a batch cooking day.
and don’t forget to check out my FULL RECIPE INDEX with over 500+ delicious Slimming World recipes.
What kitchen items do I need to make this Slow Cooked Chicken Casserole?
- Slow Cooker or Instant Pot
- Kitchen Scales
- Measuring Cups
- Measuring Spoons
- Wooden Spoon
- Santoku Knife (perfect knife for chopping veg)
- Chopping Board
- Mixing Bowl
Slow Cooked Chicken Casserole
Yield 4 servings
This recipe is gluten free, dairy free, paleo, Slimming World and Weight Watchers friendly
- Extra Easy - 1 syn per serving
- Original/SP - 1 syn per serving, serve with an SP friendly side.
- WW Smart Points - 3
- 400g/14oz boneless and skinless chicken thighs, chopped into smaller pieces
- 2 carrots – sliced
- 300g/10.5oz butternut squash – peeled and roughly chopped
- 150g/5.5oz of zucchini, halved and sliced
- 1 red pepper – sliced
- 2 cloves of garlic – crushed
- 1 onion, halved and sliced
- 1/4 cup (4 level tbs) of soy sauce (or coconut aminos) - I use Kikkoman
- 1/2 cup (120ml) of water
- 2 tablespoons of maple syrup (4 syns)
- 2 tablespoon of tomato paste
- 1/2 tbs of sweet paprika
- salt and black pepper if needed
- chopped fresh parsley
- In a bowl combine the soy sauce, water, maple syrup, tomato paste and paprika and whisk to combine.
- Add the vegetables and chicken to the slow cooker and mix.
- Pour over the sauce.
- Set to high for 4 hours or low for 8 hours
- Remove lid slightly for the last half hour of cooking time.
- Once cooked serve topped with the fresh parsley and season with salt and black pepper as needed.
- Serve with your choice of sides.
- If you prefer you can turn on saute mode first to brown the onion, garlic and chicken with a little spray oil.
- Otherwise, follow steps 1-3 above adding to the instant pot pan, instead of slow cooker.
- Add lid, close valve and set to 10 mins high pressure and allow pressure to release naturally once cooking is complete.
- Follow steps 1-3 above (add to an oven safe lidded casserole dish instead of slow cooker)
- Bake at 180c/350f (gas mark 4) for 40 mins.
- Season as needed with salt and black pepper.
- Sprinkle with fresh chopped Italians parsley
Nutritional information is an estimate and is to be used for informational purposes only.
Ingredients can vary greatly from brand to brand and therefore it would be impossible to give accurate information. Also, double-check syn values of synned ingredients as different brands can vary.
All images and content on Slimming Eats are copyright protected.
If you wish to share this recipe, then please do so by using the share buttons provided. Do not screenshot or post recipe or content in full
Serving Size 1 serving
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value
Total Fat 3.8 g
Saturated Fat 0.9 g
Cholesterol 74 mg
Sodium 741 mg
Total Carbohydrates 26.5 g
Dietary Fiber 5.1 g
Sugars 12.6 g
Protein 20.7 g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
It is the responsibility of the Reader to assure the products or ingredients they use in any recipes from Slimming Eats are allergen-free (gluten-free, egg-free and/or dairy-free, for example) or Vegetarian friendly. Slimming Eats assumes no liability for inaccuracies or misstatement about products, opinions or comments on this site.
Nutritional information is an estimate and is to be used for informational purposes only
Click here to come and join the - Slimming Eats Facebook group
where you can ask any questions on recipes, get the links to new recipes as they get posted to the blog, daily meal ideas, support and advice.
Looking for some other recipes? Head on over to my RECIPE INDEX for 500+ more recipes for you to browse through.
DID YOU ? I'D TO SEE IT!THIS
Snap a photo and hashtag #slimmingeats or tag me @slimmingeats on INSTAGRAM
Are you on facebook? Then be sure to come and like me on FACEBOOK
All images and content on Slimming Eats are copyright protected.
If you wish to share this recipe, then please do so by using the share buttons provided. Do not screenshot or post recipe or content in full.