Rustic Garlic and Parmesan Mashed Potatoes - this easy rustic mash combines skin on Yukon Golden Potatoes with the delicious flavours of garlic and parmesan for the perfect side for any main meal.
Rustic Mashed Potatoes
Never tried rustic mashed potatoes? Then you are seriously missing out because Skin on golden mashed potatoes is just like the best side ever!!
and guess what? the skin on means you save time because there is no having to stand there peeling several potatoes. Bonus!!!
Also when it comes to mashing this delicious Rustic Garlic and Parmesan Mashed Potatoes, you don't need a fancy potato masher. The key is in the title "rustic" so just a good ole fork is perfect if that is all you have.
The Best Potatoes for Mashed Potatoes (Mash)
So what are the best potatoes for mash? I never use a floury type of potato. Why? because I always find they taste far too dry as mash unless you are adding copious amounts of butter and milk and/or cream.
We want to save syns/points right so if we can keep those to a minimum, it means we can enjoy a decent sized serving.
The key is to use a waxy buttery variety of potato and Yukon Golds are the best ever!! They have a lovely buttery flavour without the need for any butter.
Looking for a similar variety in the UK? Then search for Elfe potatoes, or failing that another variety of waxy potatoes. Don't worry if they are small ones, this is a skin on recipe, so you don't need to peel them.
Substitutes for Parmesan
Don't like the strong flavour of parmesan and prefer a milder tasting cheese?
Then go for some good quality cheddar or red Leicester - the latter will add a more of an orange streak through the mashed potatoes, but it will still taste amazing.
It's those flecks of cheesy goodness that take this rustic mash to a whole other level - yum!!
Best Main Dish for Mashed Potatoes
Wondering what main course to serve alongside these Rustic Parmesan and Garlic Mashed Potatoes, for me, it always has to be a casserole or stew type dish, something saucy is just perfect. Here are a few of my favourites:
- HEARTY SAUSAGE CASSEROLE
- TUSCAN BEEF CASSEROLE (STOVE TOP OR INSTANT POT)
- SMOKED PAPRIKA CHICKEN CASSEROLE (INSTANT POT, SLOW COOKER OR STOVE TOP)
- BEEF AND VEGETABLE CASSEROLE (OVEN, SLOW COOKER, INSTANT POT)
- BRAISED BEEF
- SLOW COOKER GUINNESS BEEF BRISKET
or head on over to my Full Recipe Index with over 900 delicious Slimming World and Weight Watchers friendly recipes all fully searchable by meal type, ingredients, syn value and smart points etc
This recipe was originally posted on 19th of February 2011 and updated on 10th March 2020
You can also subscribe to Slimming Eats so that you never miss any new updates.
IF YOU TRY THIS RECIPE, LET US KNOW! LEAVE A COMMENT, RATE IT AND TAG US IN YOUR PHOTOS @SLIMMINGEATS ON INSTAGRAM
See the handy Pinterest image below if you wish to pin this for later 🙂
- 800g of Yukon Gold Potatoes (or similar waxy variety of potato)
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 60g of parmesan, grated
- sea salt and black pepper to season
- fresh chopped Italian parsley
- Add the potatoes (with skins) and garlic to a saucepan, cover with water and then place over medium heat and bring to a boil. Cover and simmer for approx 12 mins until a fork slides through the potatoes easily.
- Remove from heat and drain.
- Roughly mash the potatoes and garlic together with a fork and then add in the parmesan and parsley mix to combine
- Taste and season as needed with salt and black pepper
- This makes a delicious side dish for any meal.
- Serve and Enjoy!!
This recipe is gluten free, vegetarian, Slimming World and Weight Watchers friendly
- Slimming World - 3.5 syns is not using HEa towards parmesan
- Green WW Smart Points - 7 per serving
- Blue WW Smart Points - 7 per serving
- Purple WW Smart Points - 2 per serving
- Vegetarian - use a vegetarian-friendly cheese
If you wish to share this recipe, then please do so by using the share buttons provided.
Do not screenshot content or post recipe or content in full. All images and content on Slimming Eats are copyright protected.
Nutritional information, syn values, points etc are an estimate and is to be used for informational purposes only. Ingredients can vary greatly from brand to brand and therefore it would be impossible to give accurate information. It is always advised that you calculate by the ingredients you use.
It is the responsibility of the Reader to assure the products or ingredients they use in any recipes from Slimming Eats are allergen-free (gluten-free, egg-free, soy-free and/or dairy-free, for example). Slimming Eats assumes no liability for inaccuracies or misstatement about products, opinions or comments on this site.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition InformationYield 4 Serving Size 1 SERVING
Amount Per Serving Calories 206Total Fat 4.5gSaturated Fat 2.9gTrans Fat 0gCholesterol 12mgSodium 320mgCarbohydrates 33.5gFiber 5.4gSugar 2.7gProtein 9.1g