This soup is great for using up leftover roast chicken (but don’t throw out that carcass, as it will make an amazing base to the soup). However if you don’t have a roast chicken handy, you can use chicken broth and cook up some chicken thighs. Either way it’s delicious.
This recipe is gluten free, dairy free, Slimming World and Weight Watchers friendly
Slimming Eats Recipe
Extra Easy – syn free per serving
- for the soup base:
- 1 Roast Chicken Carcass
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- salt and black pepper
- for the soup:
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, finely chopped
- 1 red pepper, finely chopped
- 2 tomatoes, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 tsp of ground cumin
- 2 tsp of ground coriander
- 1 tsp of cinnamon
- ½ tsp of turmeric
- some leftover cooked chicken
- 1 400g tin of mixed beans (drained)
- ⅓ cup of uncooked long grain rice
- salt and black pepper
- fresh chopped coriander
- olive oil spray
- Spray a large pot with olive oil spray over a medium high heat, add the onion, carrots, garlic and fry for a few mins to soften. Break up the chicken carcass and add to the pot.
- Cover with 2 litres of water and season well with salt and black pepper. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for approx 1-1½ hours. (If you haven't got a chicken carcass, you can use 2 litres of ready made chicken stock)
- Drain the soup base over a sieve, so that you just have the liquid/stock and set aside.
- Clean pot and spray with some olive oil spray, add the onion, carrots and red pepper and fry approx 5 mins to soften.
- Add the tomatoes, mixed beans and spices and stir to coat.
- Pour in the stock and bring to a boil, simmer for approx 20 mins. (If you prefer a thicker soup, you can ladle some of the soup and blend at this stage to thicken).
- Add in the rice and chicken and continue to simmer for approx 20mins, until rice is cooked.
- Stir in some fresh chopped coriander and season as needed with salt and black pepper.
The recipe above has been calculated for Slimming World, however for those of you following the Weight Watchers plan or another calorie controlled type diet. Below is the approx. nutritional information (using calorie count recipe analysis)
Approx. NUTRITIONAL INFORMATION
It is the responsibility of the Reader to assure the products or ingredients they use in any recipes from Slimming Eats are allergen-free (gluten-free, egg-free and/or dairy-free, for example) or Vegetarian friendly. Slimming Eats assumes no liability for inaccuracies or misstatement about products, opinions or comments on this site.
Nutritional information is an estimate and is to be used for informational purposes only
Looking for some additional support on your weight loss journey? Did you know Slimming Eats has a friendly Slimming World Facebook Support Group where you can get daily meal ideas and recipe ideas? Come and check us out, we’d love to have you join.
Looking for some other recipes? Head on over to my RECIPE INDEX for over 850 Slimming World & Weight Watchers recipes for you to browse through, all fully searchable by meal type, Ingredients, syn value and WW Smart Points etc
DID YOU ? I'D TO SEE IT!THIS
Snap a photo and hashtag #slimmingeats or tag me @slimmingeats on INSTAGRAM
Are you on facebook? Then be sure to come and like me on FACEBOOK
All images and content on Slimming Eats are copyright protected.
If you wish to share this recipe, then please do so by using the share buttons provided. Do not screenshot or post recipe or content in full.