Spicy Tomato and Lentil Soup - a great warming bowl of soup for a cold winter's day.
I don't know about you, but as for me, as soon as the freezing cold days of winter hit us, all I want to make is soup, soup and more soup.
This spicy tomato and lentil soup, has heaps of flavour, tastes amazing and is nice and filling.
A yummy complete meal in a bowl.
The spice in this soup comes from the little bit of cayenne pepper, which is lovely against the natural sweetness of the sweet potato. Of course you could also use butternut squash in place of the sweet potato to up the speed foods in the soup if you prefer, both will do the same thing of adding a delicious natural sweetness to the soup.
For the lentils I just use the red variety, they are so budget friendly, you can get a huge bag for pretty cheap, and there are so many different meals you can make with lentils.
This Spicy Tomato and Lentil Soup is also gluten free, dairy free and vegetarian friendly.
Looking for more recipes using lentils? Check out these Lentil Recipes
or maybe you are looking for some more soup recipes? Then these Soup recipes are just for you.
- ¾ cup (175ml) of uncooked red lentils, rinsed
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic crushed
- 1 stick of celery, finely chopped
- 1 leek, finely chopped
- 300g (10.5oz) of sweet potato, chopped
- some freshly ginger grated
- 1 tsp of ground cumin
- 1 splash of tabasco sauce
- 2 teaspoons of paprika
- ½ teaspoon of cayenne pepper
- 500g (17.5oz) of ripe tomatoes, skinned and chopped finely (or use a tinned chopped)
- 2 litres (8 cups) of vegetable stock
- 2 tbsp of tomato puree
- salt and black pepper to season
- Spray oil
- finely chopped parsley or coriander
- optional: yoghurt
- Spray a large saucepan over a medium high heat with spray oil.
- Add the onion, leek, celery and fry until softened.
- Add the lentils, sweet potato, garlic, ginger, cumin, paprika, cayenne and tomato paste and stir to evenly mix.
- Add the stock, tomatoes and tabasco sauce.
- Bring to a boil, then lower the heat and simmer for about 40mins until lentils are soft.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- If you prefer a smoother soup, then you can blend it to your liking. I prefer to leave this soup as it is.
- Serve topped with a sprinkle of freshly chopped parsley or coriander.
- Optional: add a dollop of yoghurt.
This recipe is gluten free, dairy free, vegetarian, Slimming World and Weight Watchers friendly
- Slimming World - syn free per serving
- WW Smart Points: - 5 per serving
- Gluten Free - use gluten free stock
- Dairy Free - omit optional yoghurt or add a drizzle of coconut milk
*suitable for freezing
Nutritional information is an estimate and is to be used for informational purposes only
If you wish to share this recipe, then please do so by using the share buttons provided.
Do not screenshot or post recipe or content in full.
Nutritional information is an estimate and is to be used for informational purposes only. Ingredients can vary greatly from brand to brand and therefore it would be impossible to give accurate information.
It is the responsibility of the Reader to assure the products or ingredients they use in any recipes from Slimming Eats are allergen-free (gluten-free, egg-free, soy free and/or dairy-free, for example). Slimming Eats assumes no liability for inaccuracies or misstatement about products, opinions or comments on this site.
All images and content on Slimming Eats are copyright protected.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
TOMORAL Measuring Cups and Spoons Set of 13, Durable 304 Stainless Steel 5 Measuring Cups and 5 Measuring Spoons with 2 O Rings and Magnetic Measurement Conversion Chart
Santoku Knife-MAD SHARK Pro Kitchen Knife 7 Inch Santoku Knife,Best Quality German High Carbon Stainless Steel Knife with Ergonomic Handle,Ultra Sharp,Best Choice for Home Kitchen and Restaurant
Le Creuset Signature Cast Iron Round Casserole, 26 cm - Teal
Nutrition InformationServing Size 1 serving
Amount Per Serving Calories 309Total Fat 0.9gSaturated Fat 0.1gCholesterol 0mgSodium 1006.8mgCarbohydrates 60.9gFiber 14.5gSugar 11.3gProtein 14.3g