I know, I know I do have a slight obsession with Sweet Potato, but that's because they are so darn good and really versatile in so many recipes. So you are just going to LOVE these Pork and Sweet Potato Meatballs.
These were actually one of those crazy moments in the kitchen when you have some ingredients you need to throw together and combine them to make a yummy and delicious meal.
I was actually making my Sweet Potato Sausage rolls and had quite a bit of ground pork left, and well the sausage rolls are so tasty I thought why not add some sweet potatoes to the ground pork for meatballs. It was actually a stroke of genius, as the sweet potato keeps the meat moist. Extra Lean ground meat has a tendency to be really dry, and well these were not at all.
I am going to offer two suggestions for a sauce for these - Hoisin and Sweet Chilli. I tried them with both sauces and either go together really well.
I served with rice and stir fried veggies, but you really could pair this up with what ever you want, including my perfect chips.
I am wondering how well these will work with some butternut squash too, for some added speed and will be trying that next time (do let me know if anyone gives that a go).
Take these Pork and Sweet Potato meatballs along with you on a picnic or in a packed lunch. Great for some protein and a high satiety snack and delicious served hot or cold.
Don't fancy pork? Try these with ground chicken or beef.
These are gluten free, paleo and Whole30 friendly when served without the sauces (for a gluten free sauce alternative use tamari or coconut aminos, with some ginger and garlic and a little starch like arrowroot or tapioca flour to thicken)
- 455g/1lb of extra lean ground pork
- 1 small sweet potato
- 1/ 2 small red onion, finely diced
- handful of fresh coriander, finely chopped
- ½ tsp of salt
- ¼ tsp of ground ginger
- ¼ tsp of onion powder
- ¼ tsp of garlic powder
- spray oil
- For the Hoisin Sauce
- 4 tbs of hoisin sauce
- 6 tbs of soy sauce
- 4 tbs of passata
- For the Sweet Chilli Sauce
- 4 tbs of Sweet Chilli Sauce
- 6 tbs of soy sauce
- 4 tbs of passata
- Pierce the sweet potato with a fork and add to the microwave and cook for 5 mins (test for softness, if still a little hard, add for another minute or so, allow to cool.
- Preheat oven to 200c/400f (gas mark 6)
- Spray a frying pan over a medium with spray oil
- Add the red onion and fry till softened and caramelized
- Remove and allow to cool slightly.
- When the sweet potato is cooled down, cut in half and scoop out all the flesh and add to the ground pork.
- Add the onion and all other ingredient and mix well to all combined. You want the sweet potato mashed into the pork with little small pieces.
- Form into equal sized meatballs and place on a baking tray lined with parchment paper.
- Spray over the top with spray oil and place in the oven and bake for approx 15-20 mins (pork should be cooked through)
- Serve with your choice of sides, great with as they are or with sauce suggestions
For the sauce if serving
- Add ingredients to a small saucepan and heat gently until it thickens, pour over meatballs or serve on side.
Please see below for full nutritional info and additional details about recipe:
- Calories - scroll down to nutritional info box
- WW Points and other Slimming or Weight Loss programs - due to plans regularly changing and updating, we recommend calculating with the official tools you get as a member to those plans to ensure accuracy of values.
If you wish to share this recipe, then please do so by using the share buttons provided at top of this post.
DO NOT COPY AND/OR PASTE FULL RECIPES OR SCREENSHOTS OF ANY CONTENT FROM SLIMMING EATS TO ANY SOCIAL MEDIA OR WEBSITE, IT IS STRICTLY PROHIBITED.
ALL IMAGES AND CONTENT ON SLIMMING EATS ARE COPYRIGHT PROTECTED
Nutritional information etc are an estimate and are to be used for informational purposes only. Ingredients can vary in values from brand to brand and therefore it would be impossible to give accurate information. It is always advised that you calculate values yourself by the ingredients you use and the tools provided to you as a member of the programme you are following.
It is the responsibility of the Reader to assure the products or ingredients they use in any recipes from Slimming Eats are allergen-free (gluten-free, egg-free, soy-free and/or dairy-free, for example). Slimming Eats assumes no liability for inaccuracies or misstatement about products, opinions or comments on this site.
Nutrition InformationYield 4 Serving Size 1 SERVING
Amount Per Serving Calories 383Total Fat 4.2gSaturated Fat 2gCholesterol 90mgSodium 2393mgCarbohydrates 43.4gFiber 6.6gSugar 20.2gProtein 42.1g