This recipe is Vegetarian, Slimming World (SP) and Weight Watchers friendly
Slimming Eats Recipe
Extra Easy – 3.5 syns for 4 Mini Carrot Bites
Green – 3.5 syns for 4 Mini Carrot Bites
Original – 3.5 syns for 4 Mini Carrot Bites
For the carrot cake bites:
- 6 scan bran (6 syns)
- 30g (1oz) of sultanas (4.5 syns)
- 1 cup of sweetener
- Juice and Zest of a Lemon
- Zest of an Orange
- 2 cups of grated carrot
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon of cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon of ginger
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- 1 teaspoon of baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon of salt
- ¼ teaspoon of almond extract
- Spray oil
For the frosting:
- ½ cup (120ml) of quark
- Zest of a lemon
- Juice of half a lemon
- 1 tablespoon of maple syrup (2 syns)
- Preheat oven to 180c or 350f
- Grease a square baking pan with some spray oil
- Grate the zest from the lemon and orange and set aside.
- Add the sultanas to a small bowl, along with the juice of the lemon and allow to soak.
- In a large bowl, whisk together thoroughly the eggs, zest and sweetener
- Add the grated carrot and stir thoroughly.
- Soak the scan bran in a dish with some hot water until softened.
- Add the scan bran to the bowl, along with the spices, salt, almond extract, baking soda, baking powder and sultanas and mix until all ingredients are combined.
- Pour into the prepared baking pan and bake in the oven for approx 40 mins. A toothpick or skewer entered into the centre should come out clean.
- Allow the cake to cool completely in a pan, then transfer to a wire rack and refrigerate for at least one hour before serving.
- For the frosting:
- Mix together the quark, juice and zest of the lemon and maple syrup in a bowl, until it becomes a smooth paste. Then refrigerate for at least an hour along with the cake.
- When you are ready to serve, remove the cake from the refrigerator, spread the frosting all over the top of the cake and then cut into 16 equal sized pieces.