Bored of regular chilli? Then turn it into a pasta bake, with this delicious SYN FREE Mexican Pasta Bake - yum!!
You love chilli right? and you love a pasta bake? Well this Mexican Pasta Bake is just for you.
Rich tomatoey beef chilli with kidney beans (or black beans if you prefer), mixed with pasta and topped with cheese and then baked in the oven till it is all melted - delicious!!
Great served with a mixed salad or some vegetables of your choice. Hey if you are really hungry you could even make some Perfect Syn Free Chips
This would also be delicious with some sour cream on top if you have some syns spare. Have I ever mentioned I LOVE sour cream. Especially with Mexican food.
If you want a vegetarian version of this, you can swap out the ground beef for lentils or a meat substitute, or instead use my Sweet Potato, Vegetable and Lentil Chilli
This dish is perfect for freezing and suitable for those who are gluten free if you use a gluten free pasta.
When we have this as a family meal, I serve in the middle of the table with some chopped tomatoes and low fat sour cream for a few syns. But you can save the syns by using a fat free greek yoghurt seasoned with some salt and a little fresh lime juice. It would also be great with some avocado or guacamole for an additional few syns too - 30g of avocado being only 2.5 syns.
So many great ways to serve this Syn Free Mexican Pasta Bake. How will you enjoy yours?
Extra Easy - 1 HEa per serving
Green/Vegetarian - 1 HEa per serving (when using lentils or a meat substitute)
WW Smart Points - 15
- 450g (1lb) of extra lean ground beef
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 1 orange pepper, finely chopped
- 1 tin of kidney beans (or black beans), drained
- 360ml (1.5 cups) of passata
- 480ml (2 cups) of stock (vegetable or chicken)
- 2 tablespoons of tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon of chilli powder
- 2 teaspoon of cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon of oregano
- 1 teaspoon of paprika
- ½ teaspoon of cayenne pepper (add more of less depending on how much heat you prefer)
- 250g (9oz) of pasta of your choice (I used fusilli), gluten free pasta can be used
- 120g (4oz) of cheddar (4xHEa's), grated
- salt and black pepper
- olive oil spray
- Spray a pan over a medium high heat with olive oil spray
- Add onion and fry till softened.
- Add ground beef and garlic and cook until browned.
- Add in the chopped peppers, passata, stock, tomato paste, spices, herbs and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 30mins until sauce thickens. Season as needed with salt and black pepper.
- Stir in black beans and remove from heat.
- Preheat oven to 180c or 350f (gas mark 4)
- Cook pasta in boiling hot water until al dente, drain and mix together with the Mexican beef mix.
- Place in a oven proof dish and top with the grated cheddar.
- Bake in oven till cheese has melted and is golden, approx 30 mins.
Ingredients can vary greatly from brand to brand and therefore it would be impossible to give accurate information. Also double check syn values of sinned ingredients as different brands can vary.
All images and content on Slimming Eats are copyright protected.
If you wish to share this recipe, then please do so by using the share buttons provided. Do not screenshot or post recipe or content in full