Easy Delicious Fruit and Spice Scan Bran Cake - high in fibre and the perfect treat for any day of the week.
High Fibre Cake
This Fruit and Spice Scan Bran Cake is my go to treat, when I want something high in fibre to enjoy with a nice cup of tea or coffee.
Usually I make a baked Cheesecake or muffins of some sort, but when I noticed some scan bran in the cupboard that needed to be used up, I just threw together some ingredients, aiming for a kind of bread and butter pudding and this totally hit the spot.
Moist, spicy, fruity - I couldn’t even taste the scan bran like you do in some cakes and it really was a nice substitute for the very high calorie filled bread and butter pudding recipes you see.
What is Scan Bran?
Scan bran is short for Scandinavian Bran Crispbread. A very high fibre and hard crispbread that is great for keeping you well satiated.
They are pretty hard to eat on their own, but with a good choice of toppings they can be more enjoyable. However you eat them, they are going to keep you fuller for much longer than any other cracker or bread.
More Scan Bran Recipes
Wondering what else you can make with scan bran? Check out these recipes:
- RASPBERRY TOPPED CHOCOLATE SCAN BRAN CAKE
- STICKY TOFFEE SCAN BRAN PUDDING
- CHOCOLATE SCAN BRAN CAKE
- UPSIDE DOWN CHERRY SCAN BRAN CAKE
- MINI CARROT CAKE BITES
or head on over to my Full Recipe Index with over 850 delicious Slimming World and Weight Watchers recipes all fully searchable by meal type, ingredients, syn value and smart points etc
You can also subscribe to Slimming Eats so that you never miss any new updates.
IF YOU TRY THIS RECIPE, LET US KNOW! LEAVE A COMMENT, RATE IT AND TAG US IN YOUR PHOTOS @SLIMMINGEATS ON INSTAGRAM
- 5 scan bran (5 syns)
- 2 eggs
- ¼ cup of vanilla yoghurt (fat free)
- 1 tsp of cinnamon
- ½ tsp of all spice
- zest of a lemon
- 28g of sultanas or raisins (4 syns)
- 1 tsp of baking powder (0.5 syns)
- ¼ cup of sukrin (or other sweetener of choice) (2 syns)
- spray oil
- Preheat oven to 200c or 400f
- Grease a ovenproof round cake tin with some spray oil
- In a dish, soak the scan bran in some boiling hot water to soften.
- Add scan bran to a large bowl.
- Add the cinnamon, all spice, baking powder and brown sugar blend splenda.
- Separate the yolks from the eggs into a small bowl. Set the egg whites aside
- Add the yoghurt, vanilla extract and lemon zest to the egg yolks and whisk.
- Add this mixture into the scan bran.
- Add the sultanas and mix thoroughly.
- Whisks your eggs whites into meringue peaks, and fold them into the scan bran mixture.
- Pour the cake mixture into your greased cake tin, and bake in the oven for approx 30-40mins, a toothpick entered into the centre of the cake should come out clean. But you don’t want the cake to dry out too much, it should still be nice and moist in the middle.
This recipe is vegetarian, Slimming World and Weight Watchers friendly
- Slimming World - 3 syns per ¼ of the cake
- WW Flex/Freestyle Smart Points - 3 per ¼ of the cake
*suitable for freezing
If you wish to share this recipe, then please do so by using the share buttons provided.
Do not screenshot or post recipe or content in full.
Nutritional information is an estimate and is to be used for informational purposes only. Ingredients can vary greatly from brand to brand and therefore it would be impossible to give accurate information.
It is the responsibility of the Reader to assure the products or ingredients they use in any recipes from Slimming Eats are allergen-free (gluten-free, egg-free, soy free and/or dairy-free, for example). Slimming Eats assumes no liability for inaccuracies or misstatement about products, opinions or comments on this site.
All images and content on Slimming Eats are copyright protected.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
TOMORAL Measuring Cups and Spoons Set of 13, Durable 304 Stainless Steel 5 Measuring Cups and 5 Measuring Spoons with 2 O Rings and Magnetic Measurement Conversion Chart
Organic Sultanas 1kg (Buy Whole Foods Online Ltd.)
GG Scandinavian Crispbread 100 g (Pack of 10)
Professional 8 Inch Round Victoria Sandwich Tins, Twin Pack, Fixed Base, 20cm, British Made with Double Coated Performance Non Stick by Lets Cook Cookware
Nutrition InformationServing Size 1 serving (¼ of the cake)
Amount Per Serving Calories 79Total Fat 2.5gSaturated Fat 0.8gCholesterol 93.6mgSodium 204.6mgCarbohydrates 16.1gFiber 6.7gSugar 4.9gProtein 5.3g