Easy Chicken Tortilla Soup - a delicious spicy comforting bowl of soup with chicken, corn and vegetables all topped with crushed up tortilla chips - yum!!
The Best Easy Chicken Tortilla Soup
Ever roast a whole chicken and have lots of chicken meat leftover and wondering what to use it in? This easy chicken tortilla soup is a must.
It's one of the easiest delicious soups to make and a regular rotation in my house.
When the kids are at home and we need something quick and filling for lunch, this soup is perfect.
When you don't have cooked chicken?
Don't have cooked chicken on hand, but want to make this soup, just cook up some chicken breast or thigh meat, shred or slice up and you can add into the soup as per the recipe.
I either just brown the chicken in a pan in some spray oil or poached in some stock, by placing in a pan, cover with stock (you can also add, garlic, herbs and seasoning for flavour) then bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until chicken is cooked (about 8-10 minutes depending on whether you use breast or thigh meat).
Can I use spray oil?
I use olive oil in this recipe, as I love to really soften/brown the base which deepens the flavour of any soup and you just don't get the same results with spray oils.
As this Chicken Tortilla Soup serves 4 people, divided up that is only 1.5 syns.
If you really don't like to use syns in your meals, then be all means use spray oil, but you may need to add in a little water to prevent the onions etc from sticking. Do take your time to soften the base of the soup though, it's not a stage that can be rush or skipped.
Substitute for canned diced green chiles
I add a can of diced green chiles which I get from Trader Joes into the soup, I just love the spicy kick and flavour it adds.
If you can't get diced green chiles where you are, you can sub with some fresh diced jalapenos (remove seeds if you don't like too hot) or even diced green bell pepper is fine. You can add some heat with a pinch of cayenne pepper if you use green bell pepper.
Crushed Tortilla Strips
These are great alternative to croutons in this Chicken Tortilla Soup and add a lovely crunchy finish to the top.
I just add some to a bag and roughly break up with a wooden rolling pin and then scatter a few on top.
Want to save syns/points, then just omit and add some other toppings of your choice instead.
Topping Ideas for Chicken Tortilla Soup
Here are some of my favourite toppings ideas:
- Chopped cilantro (coriander)
- Chopped Spring Onions (green onions)
- Diced fresh tomatoes
- Sour Cream (or you can use fat free Greek Yoghurt with some lemon juice and a pinch of salt mixed in)
- Grated Cheddar
- Diced Fresh Avocado
- Lime Slices
- Diced Red Onion
- Warmed roughly mashed Black Beans
More Chicken Soup recipes
Fancy some other chicken soup recipes? Check out some of these:
- CHICKEN CHICKPEA SPINACH SOUP
- TUSCAN CHICKEN AND WHITE BEAN SOUP
- SPICY CHICKEN AND VEGETABLE SOUP
- LEMONY CHICKEN ZUCCHINI RICE SOUP
- CHICKEN AND LENTIL SOUP
- INSTANT POT THAI CHICKEN RICE SOUP
- CHICKEN VEGETABLE PASTA SOUP
- DAIRY FREE CREAMY CHICKEN AND LEEK SOUP
or head on over to my Full Recipe Index with over 900 delicious Slimming World and Weight Watchers friendly recipes all fully searchable by meal type, ingredients, syn value and smart points etc
You can also subscribe to Slimming Eats so that you never miss any new updates.
IF YOU TRY THIS RECIPE, LET US KNOW! LEAVE A COMMENT, RATE IT AND TAG US IN YOUR PHOTOS @SLIMMINGEATS ON INSTAGRAM
See the handy Pinterest image below if you wish to pin this for later 🙂
- 1 tbs of olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2-3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 x 4oz (113g) can of green chiles or use 1-2 chopped jalapenos, seeded
- 1 tbs cumin
- 1 tsp of paprika
- 1 tsp of Mexican Chili (Chilli) Powder
- ½ tsp of hot smoked paprika
- 1 x 400g (14oz) can of chopped tomatoes
- 1 cup (175g) of sweetcorn
- 2 tbs of tomato paste
- 2 cups (480ml) of chicken stock
- 300g (10.5oz) of leftover cooked chicken
- fresh chopped cilantro
- 55g (2oz) of crushed tortilla chips
- salt and black pepper to season
- Add the olive oil to a deep saucepan over a medium-high heat
- Add the onion and fry for a couple of minutes to soften
- Add the minced garlic and fry for a further 30 secs
- Add in the diced green chiles (or jalapeno) and continue to fry for a minute.
- Add in the cumin, Mexican chili powder, paprika and smoked paprika and stir to coat.
- Add in the chopped tomatoes, corn, tomato paste and stock. Bring to a boil and then cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add in the cooked chicken and simmer until heated through.
- Taste and season as needed with salt and black pepper.
- Ladle into bowls and top with chopped cilantro and crushed tortilla chips.
This recipe is gluten, dairy free, Slimming World and Weight Watchers friendly
- Slimming World - 4 per serving (1.5 without tortilla chips)
- WW Green Smart Points - 6 per serving (use chicken breast)
- WW Blue Smart Points - 4 per serving (use chicken breast)
- WW Purple Smart Points - 4 per serving (use chicken breast)
- Gluten Free - use gluten free stock and corn and tortilla chips
SUITABLE FOR FREEZING
If you wish to share this recipe, then please do so by using the share buttons provided.
Do not copy and/or paste full recipes to any social media, it is strictly prohibited.
All images and content on Slimming Eats are copyright protected.
Nutritional information, syn values, points etc are an estimate and is to be used for informational purposes only. Ingredients can vary greatly from brand to brand and therefore it would be impossible to give accurate information. It is always advised that you calculate by the ingredients you use.
It is the responsibility of the Reader to assure the products or ingredients they use in any recipes from Slimming Eats are allergen-free (gluten-free, egg-free, soy-free and/or dairy-free, for example). Slimming Eats assumes no liability for inaccuracies or misstatement about products, opinions or comments on this site.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition InformationYield 4 Serving Size 1 SERVING
Amount Per Serving Calories 263Total Fat 7.8gSaturated Fat 1.3gCholesterol 66mgSodium 488mgCarbohydrates 28.1gFiber 3.34gSugar 4gProtein 21.8g
It is the responsibility of the Reader to assure the products or ingredients they use in any recipes from Slimming Eats are allergen-free (gluten-free, egg-free and/or dairy-free, for example) or Vegetarian friendly. Slimming Eats assumes no liability for inaccuracies or misstatement about products, opinions or comments on this site.
Nutritional information is an estimate and is to be used for informational purposes only
Looking for some additional support on your weight loss journey? Did you know Slimming Eats has a friendly Slimming World Facebook Support Group where you can get daily meal ideas and recipe ideas? Come and check us out, we’d love to have you join.
Looking for some other recipes? Head on over to my RECIPE INDEX for over 900 Slimming World & Weight Watchers recipes for you to browse through, all fully searchable by meal type, Ingredients, syn value and WW Smart Points etc
All images and content on Slimming Eats are copyright protected.
If you wish to share this recipe, then please do so by using the share buttons provided. Do not screenshot or post recipe or content in full.