You seriously will not miss the pastry in this amazing Chicken and Asparagus No Pastry Pie
You know those times when you really fancy a pie and are face with the dilemma or whether to use calories on that pastry?
Sadly pastry always works out pretty high calorie, unless you have a teeny amount on the top of your pie and then you almost think, why did I bother?
So I wanted to create a pie topping that didn’t break the bank and so I had the idea to chop some potato into thin matchsticks to use as a pie topping.
This was so delicious the tender creamy chicken underneath with asparagus was a great combination. Of course don’t expect this to be anything like pastry, because it’s just potato, but that said - it is still very good.
Don't fancy Chicken and Asparagus? You could really add any filling to this, chicken and mushroom, steak and onion, minced beef, fish or even make it vegetarian with lots of veggies in a creamy or tomato sauce.
How amazing does that sound?
Looking for some other chicken recipes? Check out these amazing recipes:
- Apricot Chicken Meatballs
- One Pot Chicken and Asparagus Pasta
- Chicken, Feta and Strawberry Salad
- Garlic Chicken and French Bean Tray Bake
- Chinese Salt and Pepper Chicken
- Creamy Chicken and Mushroom Pasta
- Best Ever Chicken Korma
- Chicken and Leek Pie
- Chinese Lemon Chicken
- Feta Stuffed Chicken with Roasted Red Pepper Sauce
- Creamy Chicken and Tomatoes
- Chicken and Asparagus Bake
- Tandoori Chicken
- Chicken Drumsticks in a Peanut Sauce
- Chicken, Leek and Butternut Squash Bake
of check out the FULL RECIPE INDEX with over 500+ delicious Slimming Eats recipes.
Deliciously creamy Chicken and Asparagus No Pastry Pie - yum!!
Also because there is no pastry in the Chicken and Asparagus No Pastry Pie, it is also gluten free
I serve this Chicken and Asparagus No Pastry Pie with a side of roasted carrots for some extra speed foods and sweet corn (as the kids love it of course), but any vegetables would go well with this dish.
- 6 boneless skinless chicken thighs, raw and trimmed of fat (approx 550g/19.4oz)
- 300g (7oz) of asparagus, trimmed and chopped
- 1 cup (240ml) of 2% milk
- 1 cup (240ml) of hot chicken stock
- 100g (3.5oz)of light cream cheese
- 2 tablespoons of cornstarch
- 800g (28oz) of raw potatoes, peeled, julienned or chopped into thin chips
- freshly chopped parsley
- salt and black pepper to season
- pinch of mustard powder
- 1 medium egg, beaten
- low calorie spray
- Soak potatoes in water for 30 minutes to remove starch, drain and pat dry.
- Preheat oven to 180c fan, 200c or 400f (gas mark 6)
- Spray a tray with spray oil, add the potatoes and spray over the top, season well with salt and bake in the oven until for 15 mins, remove and set aside. (don't over cook these, as they will be cooked some more as the pie topping)
- Spray a frying pan over a medium high heat with some spray oil. Add the chicken thighs, season with salt and black pepper and fry until lightly golden.
- Add the asparagus, milk, stock, parsley, cream cheese and a pinch of mustard powder and stir until all the cream cheese is melted and combined.
- Mix the cornstarch with a little cold water to a paste and add this into the pan.
- Gently bring to a boil until it thickens
- Season with a little salt and black pepper
- Add to a oven proof dish and then top with the potatoes. Brush over the top with the beaten egg and bake in the oven for approx 35-40 mins. Potatoes on top should be nice and lightly golden.
- Serve with your choice of sides.
Please see below for full nutritional info and additional details about recipe:
- Calories - scroll down to nutritional info box
- WW Points and other Slimming or Weight Loss programs - due to plans regularly changing and updating, we recommend calculating with the official tools you get as a member to those plans to ensure accuracy of values.
If you wish to share this recipe, then please do so by using the share buttons provided at top of this post.
DO NOT COPY AND/OR PASTE FULL RECIPES OR SCREENSHOTS OF ANY CONTENT FROM SLIMMING EATS TO ANY SOCIAL MEDIA OR WEBSITE, IT IS STRICTLY PROHIBITED.
ALL IMAGES AND CONTENT ON SLIMMING EATS ARE COPYRIGHT PROTECTED
Nutritional information etc are an estimate and are to be used for informational purposes only. Ingredients can vary in values from brand to brand and therefore it would be impossible to give accurate information. It is always advised that you calculate values yourself by the ingredients you use and the tools provided to you as a member of the programme you are following.
It is the responsibility of the Reader to assure the products or ingredients they use in any recipes from Slimming Eats are allergen-free (gluten-free, egg-free, soy-free and/or dairy-free, for example). Slimming Eats assumes no liability for inaccuracies or misstatement about products, opinions or comments on this site.
Nutrition InformationYield 4 Serving Size 1 SERVING
Amount Per Serving Calories 396Total Fat 11gSaturated Fat 5gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 14gCholesterol 272mgSodium 708mgCarbohydrates 35gFiber 6gSugar 4gProtein 38g
Nutritional information and valuesetc are an estimate and is to be used for informational purposes only. Ingredients can vary greatly from brand to brand and therefore it would be impossible to give accurate information. It is always advised that you calculate by the ingredients you use.