Roasted Butternut Squash and Red Pepper Quiche - Plate up a slice of this delicious crustless quiche with vegetables, fresh herbs, parmesan and cheddar.
Roasted Butternut Squash Crustless Quiche
One of my favourite vegetables is butternut squash, which is delicious when roasted with onion, red bell pepper and just some simple seasonings like paprika, onion, powder, garlic powder and sea salt. It's a versatile ingredient that can be used in many recipes like this crustless quiche.
The quiche is great for lunches and can be enjoyed hot or cold, so perfect for on the go meals or picnics too.
How to Slice Butternut Squash
Butternut squash can be a pretty daunting vegetable to handle, with is hard exterior skin, in tricky to peel or chop.
I know you can buy already peeled and chopped butternut squash, but personally, I find precut butternut squash doesn’t taste as fresh or as good.
There are a few key things to chopping up this unique shaped vegetable. Some like to peel with a vegetable peeler, but I actually find the more of a an effort.
Instead, a good sharp knife is really important. Never ever use blunt knives, it’s an accident waiting to happen. Once you have a newly sharpened knife, chopping up this vegetable is a breeze.
- The first part is the nose, which is the long cylinder shape part. I always try and choose a butternut squash that has a long chunky nose, it’s the easiest part to chop and so means you get more butternut squash for less effort.
- Slice off the nose part first, then stand it upright on your chopping board, you can then carefully slice off the skin (peel) with your knife. Once that part is done, it is then easy to chop into chunks, cubes, fries (whatever you are planning to make).
- Next part is the tougher part to chop and that’s the bulb part with all the seeds in it. I tend to chop this part in half, scoop out all the seeds and discard and then chop into pieces that are easier to manage and again slice off the skin with a sharp knife.
- It’s so much easier to tackle it this way and easier to peel and chop if you slice it into shapes that are not going to slip and move around on your chopping board.
No Pastry Crustless Quiche
Some may argue that a quiche without a crust, is not really a quiche at all and yes this quiche has no pastry case, so if you can't do without your pastry, then this recipe perhaps is not for you.
Otherwise, it has all the yummy flavours of a regular quiche and is filling and perfectly cheesy from the parmesan and cheddar.
Can I omit the cheeses?
Personally I think the flavours of the parmesan and cheddar add to this crustless quiche, without them you would definitely want to up on your seasoning and while it will possible still turn out okay without the cheeses, it's not going to be quite the same as the final result you see here.
If of course, it is because you are dairy-free, then you may want to check out a different quiche recipe like this Dairy Free Bacon and Vegetable Quiche.
Fresh Herbs or Dried?
That's entirely up to you, fresh herbs always add a nicer flavour than dried, but if you don't have fresh on hand, then dried are fine.
I had a planter with all different herbs in my garden this summer, so it was just a case of going out there and snipping off a few sprigs of what I wanted.
Baking the Crustless Roasted Butternut and Red Pepper Quiche
Normally I bake my crustless quiches in a round springform pan, but this one I did in an 8-inch pan. It really doesn't make much difference to the bake other than it's a different shape.
Baking it in a square pan, meant I could slice it into handy squares which were perfect for a lunch on the go.
Sides for this Roasted Butternut Squash and Red Pepper Quiche
Want to enjoy this just as it is? Well, there is absolutely nothing wrong with that, it's packed with healthy veggies and a good source of protein.
I like to pair it with a simple green salad, arugula and sliced baby cucumbers and a great option alongside some of this Ranch Dressing.
More Quiche Recipes
Want to try some other delicious quiche recipes? Check out these:
- BREAKFAST QUICHE
- CRUSTLESS BACON LEEK AND SWEET POTATO QUICHE
- HAM AND BROCCOLI QUICHE
- SALMON AND BROCCOLI QUICHE
- SPIRALLED ZUCCHINI QUICHE
- CHEESEBURGER QUICHE
- RED PEPPER AND BACON QUICHE
- CHICKEN AND SPINACH QUICHE
or head on over to my Full Recipe Index with over 850 delicious Slimming Eats and Weight Watchers recipes all fully searchable by meal type, ingredients and smart points etc.
This recipe was originally created on 4 April 2012 and updated on the 7 November 2019
Come and follow me on:
FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST
TWITTER, TIK TOK and YOUTUBE
You can also subscribe to Slimming Eats
so that you never miss any new updates.
Need some extra Support? Come and check out my Facebook Group
If you try this recipe, let us know!
Leave a Comment, Rate It and Tag us in your
Photos @SLIMMINGEATS on INSTAGRAM