If you haven’t yet tried plantain you are seriously missing out. I love plantain, it is a great starchy veg to add to meals to keep you well satiated, and you can cook it different ways depending how ripe or unripe it is. My favorite thing to make with plantain is tostones, for those you need a green unripe plantain. Normally tostones are double fried, but can you imagine the syns? So to keep these Slimming World friendly I have come up with a oven baked version. I recommend using some synned oil for these, as the syn free spray oils just won’t cut it.
If you want to know what these taste like, the best description I can give, is like salted pieces of crispy batter (I am serious) they really do taste amazing. I love to serve them on the side of my chilli, or anything that is dip worthy.
This recipe is gluten free, dairy free, vegetarian, whole30, paleo, Slimming World and Weight Watchers friendly
Slimming Eats Recipe
Extra Easy – 1.5 syns for 1/4 of whole recipe
Green – 1.5 syns for 1/4 of whole recipe
- 2 large green plaintains
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- sea salt
- Preheat oven to 200c or 400f (gas mark 6)
- Cut a small piece of each end of the plaintains, then carefully run a knife down the peel and remove the peel from both plaintains.
- Slice plaintains about ½ an inch in thickness.
- Add the slices to a bowl, add ⅔ of the olive oil, a sprinkling of paprika and a good seasoning of sea salt and toss to evenly coat.
- Place the plaintain slices on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and bake in the oven for approx 15-20mins, they should be lightly golden and not feel as firm.
- One by one smash the plaintain pieces until they are thin pancake shapes (I use a small heavy pot to do this), add them back to the bowl, with the ⅓ of leftover oil and again toss to coat and then place them back on the parchment paper and bake for another 15-20mins.
- These are great as a side with chilli and similar type dishes.
The recipe above has been calculated for Slimming World, however for those of you following the Weight Watchers plan or another calorie controlled type diet. Below is the approx. nutritional information (using calorie count recipe analysis)
Approx. NUTRITIONAL INFORMATION
per 1/4 of whole recipe
It is the responsibility of the Reader to assure the products or ingredients they use in any recipes from Slimming Eats are allergen-free (gluten-free, egg-free and/or dairy-free, for example) or Vegetarian friendly. Slimming Eats assumes no liability for inaccuracies or misstatement about products, opinions or comments on this site.
Nutritional information is an estimate and is to be used for informational purposes only
Looking for some additional support on your weight loss journey? Did you know Slimming Eats has a friendly Slimming World Facebook Support Group where you can get daily meal ideas and recipe ideas? Come and check us out, we’d love to have you join.
Looking for some other recipes? Head on over to my RECIPE INDEX for over 850 Slimming World & Weight Watchers recipes for you to browse through, all fully searchable by meal type, Ingredients, syn value and WW Smart Points etc
DID YOU ? I'D TO SEE IT!THIS
Snap a photo and hashtag #slimmingeats or tag me @slimmingeats on INSTAGRAM
Are you on facebook? Then be sure to come and like me on FACEBOOK
All images and content on Slimming Eats are copyright protected.
If you wish to share this recipe, then please do so by using the share buttons provided. Do not screenshot or post recipe or content in full.