This dish kind of came about as a bit of throw together of ingredients.
It was close to dinner time and nothing was prepared. I had some chicken thighs in the fridge to be used and also some jalapeno peppers from a chilli I made a few days before. Combined with some vegetables and a tin of black beans, it was a delicious meal.
I have made this several times now and usually serve it with either some steamed rice or my perfect syn free fries.
It has quite a bit of a kick to it with the chopped jalapenos, but also a sweetness from the barbecue sauce and passata. If you have a Healthy Extra spare, it would be great topped with a little cheddar and even some fat free yogurt or sour cream (for a few syns).
This is also a perfect dish for freezing and is gluten and dairy free.
- 6 chicken thighs (all visible fat removed, sliced in half
- 4 tablespoons of a good quality barbecue sauce* (4 syns)
- 1 cup (240ml) of passata
- 1 cup (240ml) of chicken stock
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 2 cups of baby carrots
- 1 zucchini (courgette), roughly chopped
- 1 red pepper, roughly chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 1-2 jalapenos, thinly sliced
- 1 cup (240ml) of black beans, drained and rinsed
- Spray oil
- Salt and Black Pepper
- Preheat oven to 180c or 350f (gas mark 4)
- Spray a frying pan over a medium high heat with some spray oil
- Add the chicken and fry until lightly golden. Remove and transfer to an oven proof dish.
- Spray frying pan with some more spray oil and add the onion and garlic and fry until softened and slightly caramelised.
- Add to the oven proof dish.
- Add carrots, zucchini, red pepper, black beans and mix to combine.
- Whisk together the barbecue sauce, passata and stock and pour this into the dish.
- Scatter with slices of jalapenos
- Cover with aluminum foil and place in the oven and bake for approx. 45 mins
- Then remove foil, higher heat to 200c (400f) gas mark 6 and cook uncovered for another 20 mins.
- Serve with your choice of sides.
- This is great with a sprinkling of cheese if you have a spare HEa or a dollop of fat free yoghurt mixed with lemon juice.
All images and content on Slimming Eats are copyright protected.
If you wish to share this recipe, then please do so by using the share buttons provided. Do not screenshot or post recipe or content in full.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition InformationYield 4 Serving Size 1 SERVING
Amount Per Serving Calories 272.9Total Fat 4.5gSaturated Fat 1.1gCholesterol 87.2mgSodium 612.3mgCarbohydrates 30.9gFiber 1gSugar 12gProtein 27.0g