We were at Costco at the weekend doing a monthly grocery shop of things I like to stock up from there. When walking down one aisle I was hit with the smell of freshly baked brownie samples, of course I couldn’t resist and had to try one and omg it was rich chocolately goodness - that yummy gooeyness you expect with a brownie.
Looking at how you make the mix up on the instructions on the box, I thought hmmm that’s pretty easy and then I remembered how I used to buy this mix from Trader Joes called No Pudge Brownies, where you just add fat free yogurt to the mix and it occurred to me that I could easily replace the oil required and add some fat free yoghurt instead to bring the calories down. So of course a box of the brownie mix went in my cart.
As soon as I got home I couldn’t wait to try this mix with the yoghurt idea to see if it would work. When replacing yoghurt with oil, you always need to use about ¾ the amount of oil. The recipe asks for ⅓ cup of oil, so I used a ¼ cup of yoghurt. The result was amazing, these brownies taste awesome and why wouldn’t they? - 3 different types of chocolate chips, no heaps of eggs and none of that yucky artificial sweetener taste of the very low fat chocolate cakes. These are proper brownies.
One bag of the mix made up makes 16 brownies and okay they are not huge brownies, but pair it up with some fat free yoghurt and berries or other fruit of your choice and you actually have a really decadent dessert.
Of course being in Canada, I wasn’t sure if this mix was available worldwide, but I checked the UK Costco website and they have it online, so I presuming it is stocked at most Costco’s worldwide. You can also order it on amazon here: Ghirardelli Triple Chocolate Brownie Mix, 4 Batches (each box has 4 bags of the mix, so will make 4 lots of 16 brownies).
These also freeze really well, you can just take one out of the freezer when you want it and heat in the microwave. So that way you are not tempted to eat more than you should.
This recipe is Weight Watchers friendly
Slimming Eats Recipe
- 1 package of brownie mix
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup of fat free Greek yoghurt
- ⅓ cup of water
- spray oil
- Preheat oven to 140c fan, 160c or 325f
- Spray a 8x8 inch brownie tin with spray oil or line with parchment paper
- Add the egg, yoghurt and water to a bowl and mix till smooth.
- Add the brownie mix and stir till all ingredients are combined together.
- Pour in the brownie pan and place in the oven
- Bake for approx 45 mins (you still want them slightly gooey, don't be tempted to over bake)
- Allow to cool for about 10 mins before slicing.
- Serve with some fat free yoghurt and your choice of fruit. They go great with mixed berries
Please see below for full nutritional info and additional details about recipe:
- Calories - scroll down to nutritional info box
- WW Points and other Slimming or Weight Loss programs - due to plans regularly changing and updating, we recommend calculating with the official tools you get as a member to those plans to ensure accuracy of values.
If you wish to share this recipe, then please do so by using the share buttons provided at top of this post.
DO NOT COPY AND/OR PASTE FULL RECIPES OR SCREENSHOTS OF ANY CONTENT FROM SLIMMING EATS TO ANY SOCIAL MEDIA OR WEBSITE, IT IS STRICTLY PROHIBITED.
ALL IMAGES AND CONTENT ON SLIMMING EATS ARE COPYRIGHT PROTECTED
Nutritional information etc are an estimate and are to be used for informational purposes only. Ingredients can vary in values from brand to brand and therefore it would be impossible to give accurate information. It is always advised that you calculate values yourself by the ingredients you use and the tools provided to you as a member of the programme you are following.
It is the responsibility of the Reader to assure the products or ingredients they use in any recipes from Slimming Eats are allergen-free (gluten-free, egg-free, soy-free and/or dairy-free, for example). Slimming Eats assumes no liability for inaccuracies or misstatement about products, opinions or comments on this site.